Once Upon a Time: Interview to Jennifer Morrison

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

The Ultimate Lesson You Can Learn from Jennifer Morrison’s Emma Swan on Once Upon a Time

Before Jennifer Morrison’s character Emma Swan broke the Evil Queen’s curse and saved the town of Storybrooke on ABC’s Once Upon a Time—a new episode airs tonight on ABC at 7 EST—she was just a lost orphan living alone. Her rough beginning inspired the producers to name her character after the swan from The Ugly Duckling, and, like every fairytale story we’ve heard since childhood, there are lessons to be learned from this fairytale-inspired character. ”The point of that story was that the swan was always a swan, and was picked on for being different, not actually being ugly,” Morrison told InStyle.com at the 30th Annual Paleyfest in Los Angeles. “To me, that is Emma’s journey, constantly discovering who she should be.” This notion inspired the star to create the hashtag #TheUglyDucklings on Twitter and encourage her Once fan base to embrace the life lesson every time they Tweet at her. “[Emma is] constantly struggling in those moments and being reminded that she’s a swan,” Morrison added. “That’s her fairytale. That is the message to other people. Hopefully people connect with it.”

http://news.instyle.com/2013/03/10/jennife...time-character/

2. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

I love the Ugly Ducklings! :wub:

3. tiuchis
        +1   -1

User deleted

Yaii for #theuglyducklings

4. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time’s Jennifer Morrison relishes fairy-tale role

It’s sunny and warm on an early May afternoon in Steveston Village, B.C., on the south arm of the Fraser River. The Once Upon a Time crew has packed up and left for another season, and historic Moncton St. has returned to its original self. The welcoming signs of a late spring are everywhere.
    Once Upon a Time

It could not be more different than that cold, wet morning, earlier in the year, when Jennifer Morrison ducked inside a pet-supply store during a break in filming, to take shelter from the rain. Morrison plays Once Upon a Time’s Emma Swan, a seemingly normal, well-adjusted young woman who, when surrounded by characters from a mythical fairy-tale kingdom, learns she’s anything but normal.
    Once Upon a Time

“I don’t think it ever occurred to me that I would ever be playing the child of Snow White and Prince Charming,” she said, with a wry smile. “I don’t think that would ever occur to anyone, to be honest. I mean, who thinks of Snow White and Prince Charming even having a child?

“That’s part of the beauty of the way Adam and Eddie think,” she added, referring to Time creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis.

Morrison grew up in Chicago, majored in theatre at Loyola University, studied with the Steppenwolf Theatre Company and settled in Los Angeles before landing the breakout role of Dr. Allison Cameron in the late, lamented hospital drama House.

Morrison filmed the pilot episode of House in Vancouver, in March 2004. The production relocated to Los Angeles that summer, for the rest of the series. Morrison left House after six seasons, and in 2011 found herself in Vancouver again, this time filming the pilot episode for Once Upon a Time.

The irony is not lost on her.

“There must be something in the water in Vancouver,” she said. “I’ve had major, major life moments here. My first film I ever did, when I was 13 years old, was a Richard Gere film called Intersection, and that was filmed here. I did the pilot of House, which was here. Then I did this film called Bringing Ashley Home, which is the only film I ever won an award for, and that was filmed here. And then we shoot Once Upon a Time here. Listen, Vancouver has been good to me, very, very good to me. So I think there might be some magic in the water here.”
    Once Upon a Time

Part of the compensation of the job, Morrison said, was being allowed to kill a dragon.

“I did kill a dragon, yes. There’s been a lot of that this year. What I love about that is it keeps me warm. We were doing a swordfight in the rain, the other day, and I was the only person still warm. Because I was sword-fighting.

“It’s a different kind of exhaustion. It’s a different strain on your body, when you’re travelling and working and doing all the things we’re all doing to do the show. And I’m learning that I have to take care of myself differently because of it.”
    Once Upon a Time

“It’s a different challenge, but it’s fun. It’s fun to learn new things and have the opportunity to have a character that can grow. A lot of times on TV you get stuck in a part that has to stay the same, because it has to serve some sort of purpose. Emma’s growth in the first season was pretty major. And Emma’s growth in the second season has been exponential, because of her introduction to her parents and dealing with all the emotions and vulnerability that comes with that. Part of it, too, is having a sword in my hand for the first time, or climbing something very tall at some point. As an actor, it’s fun to be able to grow like that.”

Morrison is recognized in public more these days, but it’s not like her years on House. The odd thing about playing a doctor on television, Morrison says, is that people naturally feel comfortable and at ease and inclined to share personal details of their lives, as if talking to their family physician.
    Once Upon a Time

“It’s nice, because you can interact without it feeling invasive,” she said. “I’ve been very lucky that way. I’m thrilled that people like the things I’ve worked on. It means a lot to me, and it’s why I continue to have a job. I’ll always be grateful for that.”

Once Upon a Time prompts a different reaction in passersby than House, though, Morrison added.

“For some reason, with this show, people want to hug me. I’ve learned, everyone wants a hug. Which has never happened with any other role I’ve done. Somebody said to me, just the other day, ‘You look like a huggable person.’ I was like, ‘You know what, this is happening, so I might as well just go straight in for the hug.’ People want to hug Emma for some reason. I think that’s awesome. If people want to hug me, that means I must be doing something right.
    Once Upon a Time

”I will take the hugs. And give the hugs.”

Once Upon a Time’s second season finale airs Sunday, May 12, on CTV and ABC at 8 ET/PT.

http://o.canada.com/2013/05/06/once-upon-a...airy-tale-role/

5. tiuchis
        +1   -1

User deleted

Wow great!! So a Hug from "Emma" is guaranteed when u meet JMo!!! Cool!!!

6. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

I love her interviews. I guess everyone feels so heartbroken for Emma and her insane life that they're transferring that to Jen! That's kind of sweet actually. :wub:

7. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

Excellent interview. Thanks for finding this and posting it here, Aurore. ;)
    Reading the text, and knowing of Jen's acting success in Vancouver, I thought of how she would probably rather be filming there, now. Throughout this past week and most of this week, the weather continues to be spectacular -- none of the cold and wet, which she dislikes.

8. Aleki77
        +1   +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time Spoilers: Can Regina Be Redeemed? Jennifer Morrison Says... — Exclusive

Emma Swan already lost Neal after fell through a portal with a bullet in his chest, but in the Once Upon a Time Season 2 finale (Episode 22: “And Straight On ‘Til Morning”), she’s at risk of losing everything — her home , her friends , and most importantly, her family. And that’s something Storybrooke’s badass Sheriff isn’t taking lightly. Will Regina find a way to reverse the black diamond’s powerful magic? Or will Storybrooke — and its inhabitants — be lost forever.

Wetpaint Entertainment caught up with Jennifer Morrison at the NYDJ Shop Opening Celebration at Bloomingdales in New York City (May 8) to talk about Once Upon a Time’s Season 2 finale, losing Neal, Emma’s True Love, and whether or not her frenemy Regina can ever be redeemed.

Find out what Jennifer had to say — including whether or not Emma will take another trip back to “post-apocalyptic Fairytale Land” anytime soon — in our full interview below.

Wetpaint Entertainment: So, I have to say, I felt all of the emotions while watching part one of the Once Upon a Time finale, especially during that Neal/Emma scene.

Jennifer Morrison: Oh, that’s good! I haven’t seen the episode yet, but obviously, I was there when we filmed it, and I remember that scene being particularly brutal.

Emma told Neal that she loved him! Did she say that from a very real place, or was she caught up in the moment?

I think when you’re in a situation like that, the truth comes out. You can overthink and rethink things in life when you have time to, when the stakes aren’t that high, but when you’re really faced with a true life or death situation, I think that’s when the truth comes out.

What we love about the show is that it’s a family drama mixed with fairy tale mythology. So there’s this idea of True Love on Once Upon a Time. Who do you think Emma’s True Love is?

Ultimately, I think Henry is her True Love because he’s not only her child, but he represents her chance to be a parent in the way she never had. She didn’t have any parents. So there’s such a complex, layered love there. I think True Love is going to redefine itself for Emma over the years, which is why she’s a fascinating character to me. She’s someone who have been so closed off to romantic love for so long, and she’s going to start rediscovering it in different ways based on having a family now and having her parents around and having her son back in her life. She’s constantly being faced with these outrageous challenges that all of these situations in the show bring her, so I don’t know what True Love means for her romantically because she’s not ready for it yet. So we’re going to see her grow into that and see what that becomes for her down the road.

We know from the finale promo that Storybrooke is at risk of being destroyed, and Regina has stepped up to help save it. Do you think Regina can be redeemed at this point?

Yeah, I think that’s what our showrunners do such a great job at doing. No one is perfect on this show. We all have light and dark in us. Even the best people make bad decisions, and even the worst people make good decisions. Even though Regina is a villain in certain ways — and she’ll always have a darkness to her — that doesn’t mean she’s incapable of love, and that doesn’t mean she’s incapable of a good decision. So she, as well, is being redefined by the relationships in her life. The fact that Snow White has saved her life numerous times now, and then Snow White turned around and played a part in killing her mother, so there are good and bad decisions, and that’s a complicated relationship for them. That mystery about the characters’ decisions — and the process of making those decisions — is partly what is so captivating about the show. Every week, you’re wondering, “Is Regina going to make a good decision or a bad decision? Is Snow going to make a good decision or a bad decision?,” and you don’t ever know. It depends on the circumstances.

With the chance that Storybrooke might get destroyed, would you like to see Emma go back to Fairytale Land in Season 3?

Not if I’m in the same clothes getting lost in the forest for three months! It’s going to be interesting to see what they do in the long-run. Fairytale Land right now is desolate. I call it post-apocalyptic Fairytale Land. So it’s not exactly the glamorous Fairytale Land we all imagined it to have been, but I think it will be interesting to see how that land is still apart of all of our lives in the long-run. Do we go back there? Do we spend time there? Do we redeem it in some way? Or do we abandon it and move somewhere else? Which is the future? I don’t know the answers to those questions, but those are the questions that all of the characters live with.

Does Emma even want to go back? She’s been on the fence when it comes to the great Storybrooke vs. Fairytale Land debate.

I think she wants to be with her family. She spent her entire life wanting to have this unit and the safety of people that she can love and who will love her, so she can be supported by that. So it’s not so much about where as it is who she’s with when she gets there.

Who do you think is Emma’s True Love? And would you like to see the Charmings back in Fairytale Land? Sound off in the comments!

Once Upon a Time’s Season 2 finale airs Sunday, May 12, 2013, at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.

Crystal Bell is an editor at Wetpaint Entertainment. Follow her on Twitter @newyorkbell.

http://www.wetpaint.com/once-upon-a-time/a...deemed-jennifer

9. tiuchis
        +1   -1

User deleted

Great interview thanks!!!

10. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jen's interviews always rock! :wub:

11. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

Thanks for digging and finding this gem, Aleki. ;)
    Jen's interviews do rock, indeed.

12. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison talks 'Once Upon A Time' season 3

Video

Jennifer Morrison Talks New Season Of Once Upon A Time - Gamerhub.tv

Video

13. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas preview 'OUAT's' "Lost Girl"

Danielle TurchianoLA TV Insider Examiner

October 4, 2013

ABC's Once Upon A Time has taken its core characters and given them all the same goal for at least the first half of the third season of the fairytale genre. In doing so, the show has allowed itself room to breathe while letting the audience linger with the characters more to see their internal struggles just as much as any outward journey. After all, it is what is inside that motivates and drives them, and in many cases, characters are harboring issues and feelings that affect their relationships, let alone efficiency. Perhaps the greatest offender here is Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and Mary Margaret (Ginnifer Goodwin), who have never really been able to hash out how they feel about being separated for so many years. While Mary Margaret is a genuinely optimistic character who always believed things would work out and her daughter would come back to her, Emma grew up in the real world-- and a hardened one at that-- and harbors a lot of tough feelings. "Lost Girl" is an episode for her to work through some inner demons and also deliver on a confrontation that many may think has been a long time coming.

"I think Neverland has posed a lot of interesting opportunities for Emma to be vulnerable," Morrison said when LA TV Insider Examiner visited her on set in Vancouver.

"I've sort of approached it as Neverland has made Emma about ten years old, in terms of her emotional capacity. It sort of takes you back to your most prevalent time of damage in your life, and you kind of go back to that place and operate from that emotional level. So that's what I've sort of done with Emma for the season so far, which is giving the opportunity to see so much more of her. She's been so closed off and hardened to life because of what she'd been through that there was only so far certain emotions could be pushed with her, and now not only has she been through a tremendous amount, and she thinks she's lost Neal, and all she's concerned about is trying to save Henry's life, and her whole family's being threatened on this island...and all of these things. She's also in a land where she can't really have her guard up, so she's highly emotional and highly volatile. Everything's heightened for her...She's sort of emoting as she realizes things. Everything is sort of very in the present for her from this point on in Neverland, for her emotionally. There's not as much holding back or hiding things or covering her feelings. She sort of has lost her capacity to do that in Neverland, so everything is sort of raw and present for her."

In Neverland, Emma is challenged to look inside of herself and finally admit what she is in order to find the literal path to get to Henry. While Emma initially thinks that means saying she's the savior or the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming aloud will do the trick, there is something much more layered behind it-- something she may have buried for many years in an attempt to just seem tougher than she was and move on. And being asked to confront it brings out a lot of feelings about herself but also her family situation.

"We have the confrontation that we've been waiting for since the curse broke. I mean, I wanted to address the dynamic between Snow and Emma in episode 201, and our-- and I mean this sincerely-- very thrilling and exciting and wonderful plot last year kept interrupting any and every conversation that we went to have about what had happened between us. [So] we never addressed abandonment issues and guilt, and the thing is, these boys-- our creators; we call them the boys; they're men-- they write such rich relationships, especially between women that I was begging for the conversation that does come in episode 302. And you know what I found really beautiful about it, too, is how fucked up it is that Snow clearly has thought that there's some magical number of times that she could apologize that would then make things right. Like 'Once I get to time 101, maybe she'll understand, and she'll believe me, and she'll accept me, and this can all be water under the bridge', but what she comes to learn is that she's being looked at in a very different way than she understood herself to be looked at by Emma and that something very different is going to have to happen for them to come together, and it's heartbreaking," Goodwin said.

"What Emma says in episode 301 is 'You two are so annoyingly optimistic', and Snow and Charming say 'But that's who we are'…and I think that up until this point it has been, and so I think that realizing that Emma needs something different from her than what Snow has understood she needed to provide is now forcing Snow to say 'Can I even provide this? And is there some sort of ultimate optimism that can sustain me through this, or is this going to be, to a certain extent, a lost cause?' And that's something that we're going to address for many episodes, and that's something else I'm really excited about this season. Because last season was so action-packed, and we kept growing and growing and growing very quickly, because we're now trapped in a world where we're now forced to face ourselves and face our pasts, which is you know kind of the theme. It makes sense in that Neverland is a world of youth and so we have to look at the youthful parts of ourselves. And because we're stuck together in this place and really thinking about those things, these conversations-- these conundrums-- are really going to be addressed in a much more thorough way over a number of episodes instead of things having quick solutions. There's something more real about things we're going through now, I feel."

While the women in the Charming family are dealing with some very serious interpersonal issues, Charming himself (Josh Dallas) is facing something serious, too. Only unlike his wife and daughter, he will choose not to share or confide in his family or "Save Henry" team but rather keep the secret to himself. It is something that Dallas believes Charming is doing out of a sense of "honor and his integrity," but it may prove to cause even more problems down the road.

"We all have obstacles, and all of our obstacles are ourselves, and I think definitely this is something Charming is wrestling with, and he's going to come up in this episode this Sunday, he's going to have a very big secret that's going to be revealed to him, and only he knows. And this is will develop later on throughout the rest of the [first half of the season], but he's going to find out something that is going to put his integrity into question, and he'll be wrestling with how that works and what the consequences are for compromising his integrity. So yeah, he's got a big secret," Dallas said.

"And [how he handles it] I think it has to do with him not wanting to be a burden."

But as all three of these actors and members of the Charming family pointed out, the focus and goal of the group who sailed to Neverland is to get Henry back, and any obstacle they encounter along the way-- even if that obstacle is an internal one-- will only strengthen their desires to be successful in their mission that much more.

Speaking especially for Emma, who took a leadership position in the season premiere and will continue down that road, Morrison said: "She's already realized on as deep of a level as you can imagine that she wants to take care of her son and she wants to get him back and she wants to keep him safe, but some of her own experiences of her own emotions and some of the things she may not have realized about herself coming to the surface has only made it more important for her to get to Henry and to keep everyone on track so that does happen."

Once Upon A Time airs on ABC on Sunday nights at 8 p.m. "Lost Girl" airs on October 6 2013.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jennifer-m...uat-s-lost-girl

14. tiuchis
        +1   -1

User deleted

Thanks!!!! Lost girl seems to b a really important episode

15. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison: A fairy-tale life

The Once Upon A Time actress talks princesses.

Jennifer Morrison’s character Emma on ABC’s Once Upon a Time discovers she’s the long-lost daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. But it’s Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland whom Morrison “gravitated” toward while growing up. “I was a misunderstood kid. With Cinderella, I related to being on the outside and wanting to be understood,” Morrison says.

As for Alice, it was about the “sense of adventure” a girl from the Chicago suburbs imagined. “I was always dreaming outside that city, about the adventures I wanted to have in life.” For her next adventure, the 34-year-old actress would like to find a big-screen “period piece” anything from the ’50s, ’60s or even back to the 1800s donning a corset: “It would be painful but cool to explore those time periods.”

http://www.usaweekend.com/article/20131004...alks-princesses

140 replies since 15/10/2011, 05:56   8040 views