Once Upon a Time: Interview to Jennifer Morrison

« Older   Newer »

1. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

I just love reading all these new interviews with Jen. She is always so thoughtful and insightful about things and it just makes me a bigger and bigger fan. :)

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Interview to Jennifer Morrison by tvchoicemagazine

Once Upon A Time - 27 March

Jennifer Morrison in Once Upon A Time

When the son she gave up for adoption 10 years earlier turns up to visit 28-year-old Emma Swan, he makes a very extraordinary claim. Everyone in his hometown of Storybrooke, Maine, is actually a fairy-tale character that has been cursed by the Evil Queen and banished to reality, where they have no memory of their previous selves. And what’s more, Emma is the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming!

Needles to say, Emma doesn’t believe a word as she returns young Henry to his foster mum, Regina, who also happens to be the Evil Queen. But sensing something’s not quite right, Emma decides to stick around Storybrooke anyway. Jennifer Morrison, who plays Emma, tells TVChoice more about Once Upon A Time, which has become the No.1 new drama on American TV since its debut in October…

Once Upon A TimeSo what sort of person is Emma Swan?
    Emma’s had a really rough life because she was saved from the curse as a baby when she was passed through into reality and was found on the side of the road. She ended up going through the foster system, and not a good version of it. She has been in a lot of tough situations. So she’s really had to be a survivor.

When we meet her she’s a bail-bondswoman, and she’s very sceptical, and closed off. As time goes on you’ll see that her child coming back into her life is going to affect her emotionally and start to cause her to open up in ways that she never has.

Emma’s a complex character with a mixed past. Did you do much research?Once Upon A Time
    What you see is what was on the page. It was such a beautiful script. But in addition we had lots of conversations about what Emma’s back story was. So I spent a lot of time reading memoirs of people who were raised in the foster system, and it’s been incredibly humbling and mostly upsetting to read them. It just seems wrong that so many people have had these horrible circumstances. What I did was take bits and pieces from each memoir and filled details of each into the fabric of Emma’s past.

I’m incredibly blessed. I have a great family and my parents are still together. I have a very strong nuclear family. So all the research I was doing was really digging into finding the sort of fabric of Emma’s damage and figuring out how to build that.

Once Upon A TimeEmma Swan’s quite sceptical about Henry’s fairy-tale claims isn’t she?
    Of course, as anyone would be. If someone walked up to you and said, ‘Oh by the way, you’re the child of Snow White and Prince Charming and you’re going to save all fairy tales,’ it’s like, ‘OK. You’ve lost your mind.’

Storybrooke’s residents have no recollection of their former lives. How about Regina, who’s also the Evil Queen?
    She does. She has orchestrated the curse in a way that she is aware of everything that’s going on.

So is Regina suspicious of Emma and does she realise who she really is?Once Upon A Time
    I don’t think she realises right away who Emma is. She’s just a stranger in town and she’s certainly not expecting that the child that she adopted is the child of Emma, who is the child of Snow White and Prince Charming. Those puzzle pieces don’t fit together immediately. It does take some time for that to play itself out.

Once Upon A TimeDo you have a favourite fairy tale or kids' story?
    Cinderella and Alice In Wonderland. As a little girl I had a video of Cinderella that was almost like a theatre production from the public access channel, and I watched it over and over until the VHS was scratchy and you couldn’t watch it anymore. Alice In Wonderland is a favourite as I think I always identified with her sense of adventure and wanting to see what’s next and behind each door.

I guess that’s what you’re doing as an actor, seeing what is behind each new character.
    Yeah. It’s really true — you keep going down different rabbit holes.

Finally British audiences will know you for playing Dr Allison Cameron in House. How do you feel about that show ending?
    That was such an incredible six years of my life and I feel so lucky to have been a part of it. It changed my life in all the best ways, and I had such an extraordinary experience on it. It’s amazing to look back and think that it has become one of the most watched shows on TV ever, and it’s ingrained in pop culture now. It’s interesting how it’s become such a phenomenon.

I feel lucky to have been a part of it, and I feel like it’s probably the right amount of time. Eight years is a long time for a show to run and to have maintained the quality that they have. It’s a nice moment for them to go out on top.

Five, Sunday

http://www.tvchoicemagazine.co.uk/intervie...-once-upon-time

3. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Chapter Nine - A Broken Heart

Chapter Nine - A Broken Heart from repvid on Vimeo.

Chapter Ten - A Mad World

Chapter Ten - A Mad World from repvid on Vimeo.

4. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    Jennifer Morrison: "Emma descubriá qué significa enamorarse"
    Entrevita exclusiva con Jennifer Morrison, protagonista de "Once upon a time", donde cuenta cómo será la segunda temporada de la serie, y cómo fue construir a su personaje Emma Swan, en MSN Video.

http://video.kolbi.msn.com/watch/video/jen...rarse/1xfkfxp4f

Edited by Aleki77 - 19/5/2012, 23:21

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time - Cast Interviews - Jennifer Morrison

http://youtu.be/nzJM8rSSe0w

http://youtu.be/RoPAJD_y4qc

http://youtu.be/QNFr5M_Q3pQ

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrisson Talks Once Upon a Time Season 1

Once Upon a Time is gearing up for another year in Storybrooke, Maine, with Season 2 debuting Sunday, September 30. For fans of the show who need a refresher course, or those who missed the first season entirely, Season 1 was released on Blu-ray and DVD earlier this week, with all 22 episodes of the popular series thus far. The story is set in two worlds, a magical world populated by fairy tale characters, and Storybrooke, Maine, where these characters now live, unable to remember who they truly are due to the effects of a curse. Jennifer Morrison stars as Emma Swan, the one woman who may be able to break this evil curse. The actress recently revealed her experiences in taking on this character. Here's what she had to say.

How would you describe Emma Swan, your character in Once Upon a Time?

Jennifer Morrison: Emma Swan is an incredible damaged, lonely person. She has had a hard life. Emma was in and out of juvenile detention as a kid. She grew up in the foster system and she probably experienced abuse on some levels.

What is her role in society?

Jennifer Morrison: She's not the most stand-up citizen in the country, but she's a survivor. She's someone who adapts to whatever she needs to survive. She will do whatever it takes to get through.

How trusting is Emma of others?

Jennifer Morrison: When we first meet Emma, she's doesn't trust anyone. In her experience, people are only nice to her when they want something from her. When she meets the people of Storybooke [the fictional town where the show is set], she can't understand why they are being kind to her. She questions them, "What do you want from me? What are you going to do to me?" Clearly she hasn't experienced anything like that in her life before.

What first drew you to this new fantasy project?

Jennifer Morrison: The writing was so phenomenal that I immediately knew I wanted to be involved with Once Upon a Time. I've read a lot of pilot scripts, but I don't know if I've ever read a pilot script like this. It was so beautifully written and so complicated - yet it was complicated and simple at the same time.

Were you gripped from the very first page of the script?

Jennifer Morrison: I was hooked as soon as I started to read it. It's a very character-driven story, but I don't feel like we have any character-driven dramas on television right now, which is why it stood out from everything else I read. At the moment, every over script is a procedural. Everything is about cops or doctors. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's fun to be part of something different.

Why do you enjoy working on character-driven shows?

Jennifer Morrison: As an actor, it's incredibly exciting to get a new script every week because we're doing things that challenge us and ask us to step outside our comfort zones. The shows ask us to step up and do things that are unique and interesting and different.

Is it scary to step out of your comfort zone?

Jennifer Morrison: Yes, but it's exciting to be scared of what you're doing. You've no idea what's going to happen to your character every week, but that's exhilarating. Instead of getting a script and thinking, 'I know I can do this. It's easy, I've done it a million times before.' You open the script and you think, 'Oh, wow... Here I go!' Every script on this show terrifies me, but in a really great way. It's great, great fun.

Why do you enjoy being terrified?

Jennifer Morrison: Because I enjoy pushing myself. No previous script has terrified me as an actor, but it happens all the time on this show. Every week, I feel like there's something that's going to push me and make me better, and make me uncomfortable in a good way.

What appealed to you about the character of Emma Swan when you first read about her?

Jennifer Morrison: I was instantly interested in Emma's vast range of emotions and her experiences. I was also intrigued by the fact that she had such a rough upbringing and the way that affects her. Emma has a strong, tough exterior and yet she's incredibly vulnerable and soft underneath.

Is it tough for her to show the vulnerable side of her character?

Jennifer Morrison: Part of the reason why she keeps that tough exterior up is because she is afraid of revealing that part of herself - and that's what makes her so interesting to play. There is so much to play around with when you know you've got a lot of depth and complications going on in someone's life.

What other complications are going on in her life?

Jennifer Morrison: Emma has a lot of guilt in her life, mostly due to the fact that she had to give up a child when she was younger. She feels really guilty about that. She is a fascinating girl with endless possibilities, which is what makes her so exciting. One minute, she smashes someone's face into a steering wheel; the next minute she has to drive a kid to Storybrooke. I love the fact that she's so varied.

How would you describe Emma's role in the story of Once Upon a Time?

Jennifer Morrison: Emma is the link between the fairytale and reality. However, when we first meet her, she isn't in a place where she embraces that or is aware of anything going on. She's a skeptic.

What is it like to play the skeptic?

Jennifer Morrison: It was fun to have that perspective on things because it was important for there to be someone who comments on how ridiculous it all seems at the start of the season. I get to show a genuine response to what's going on in the crazy, interesting world around her.

How much research did you undertake for the role?

Jennifer Morrison: Emma is not a traditional fairytale character. She is a new fairytale, so there was no research to do. All she knows about her past is that she was wrapped in a blanket with the name Emma on it, but she chose the last name of Swan for herself.

Do you know why the writers decided to name her Emma Swan?

Jennifer Morrison: I think [show creators] Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz knew what they were doing when they named her Emma Swan. They told me they thought it was a cool name and they were moved by the idea of The Ugly Duckling story, so it appeared to fit. Emma has had a really rough upbringing because she was abandoned as a child, yet she blossoms into this beautiful swan that is destined to hopefully save everyone from an evil curse.

Have you done any research into the mythology of swans?

Jennifer Morrison: I looked up the meaning of swans. I also looked into what swans have represented in different cultures and in different religions over centuries. I was amazed that there was so much written about them.

What did you discover?

Jennifer Morrison: Often, in literature and in a lot of religious references, swans are some sort of unity between divinity and humanity, which is a great fit for Emma. It's very symbolic because she doesn't realize she could be the link between the fairytale and reality worlds. It's incredibly fitting for her.

How does it feel to be part of a show that's been picked up for two seasons?

Jennifer Morrison: It feels great. I was pinching myself when I found out the news that we were picked up for Season 2. Throughout the first season, I had a lot of hope that we'd be able to return to the show for more because we had such a wonderful time shooting it. I'm thrilled that we're all going to be back for another season. I can't wait.

What is the atmosphere like on set in Vancouver?

Jennifer Morrison: The atmosphere is amazing. We have a cast that really gets along, so it's been a complete pleasure. Ginnifer Goodwin is incredible, Lana Parrilla is amazing, Robert Carlyle is outstanding, and getting to watch Joshua Dallas work is incredible, too. It's like we get to go and play every day. It's so rare that you get a job like that.

What does Vancouver add to the look of the show?

Jennifer Morrison: Vancouver is incredible. We got to film on a real mountain in a real forest with real snow, which is fantastic. There was one scene in the first season where we wanted snow and it actually only snowed for three hours that day. It was weird. It felt like it magically snowed for the scene. We couldn't have been happier.

You can watch Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan in Once Upon a Time, returning for Season 2 Sunday, September 30. You can also pick up Season 1 on Blu-ray and DVD to relive the magic of this first season.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/jennifer-morr...a-time-season-1

7. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

Thanks, Aleki. Jennifer is so articulate and always gives a good interview.

8. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

Love this interview! :wub:

9. Michelle94
        +1   -1

User deleted

She knows her stuff. That's why I love her interviews.

10. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

New article/interview with Jen from the Creative Arts Emmys tonight thanks to Jen fanboy Matt Mitovich at TV Line! :wub:

September 15, 2012
    07:09 PM PDT

Once Upon a Time Season 2: Jennifer Morrison Teases 'Complicated' Reunion, Magical Emma
    Matt Webb Mitovich

Breaking news: Once Upon a Time‘s Emma Swan is Alice in Wonderland — or at least she will feel like she is as Season 2 opens with the Storybrooke residents newly aware of their true identities, and just as Mr. Gold aka Rumplestiltskin has brought magic to town. “The world is upside-down for Emma,” Jennifer Morrison shared on the red carpet at the Creative Arts Emmy Awards, where Once was nominated for Visual Effects, Costumes and Prosthetic Make-up. “Not that she is Alice in Wonderland, but in a sense she [has] gone down the rabbit hole. Up is down, down is up, left is right…. Her whole world is shaken up, and she’s sort of a new being.”

Of course, many fans of the ABC series — which was last season’s highest-rated freshman drama — want to skim over such mind-benders and focus on the sure-to-be-awww-some reunion between Snow, the Prince and their long-lost daughter. But that family get-together, Morrison cautions with a laugh, is “complicated,” for a number of reasons. (As Once co-creator Adam Horowitz says in our Fall Preview Q&A, “After experiencing the initial joy of finding her parents, Emma struggles as she learns how to be parented.”)

Besides, Emma is still focused on the youngest member of the Charming clan, young Henry, whose life she saved in the season finale with a peck filled with love. With Regina outed as the Evil Queen and magic ostensibly within her grasp, “[Emma] has to find a way protect her son and her relationships with her family, and figure out how to move forward without being so [emotionally] guarded.”

Speaking of emotions: Somewhere amidst all the mayhem, might Emma in Season 2 find time for romance? Morrison “can’t say” if Jamie Dornan will or will not be back as the Huntsman/Sheriff Graham, but asserts, “There’s definitely romance coming” for the former bail bondswoman. But is magic coming for her, as well as for everyone else? “It’s going to be a long process of discovery,” the actress hints. “In trying to keep everyone safe and trying to figure out what [magic returning] means for the world, you’re going to start to discover the sorts of things that she’s capable of — and she’s going to discover that, too.”

Once Upon a Time Season 2 premieres Sunday, Sept. 30. (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

http://tvline.com/2012/09/15/once-upon-a-t...nifer-morrison/

11. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison Hints Emma Might Be "Capable" of Magic on Once Upon a Time Season 2

by Lindsey Jordahl

Once Upon a Time Season 2 is right around the bend (it premieres on September 30), so we were thrilled to have a chance to chat with Jennifer Morrison (Emma Swan) about the new series at the 2012 Creative Arts Emmys (where she was a presenter).

While Jennifer avoided spilling any major spoilers — this cast knows how to keep the mystery alive! — she did drop a few hints about Emma's future romance, her new relationship with her family, and whether or not she can do magic.

Wetpaint Entertainment: So magic has come to Storybrooke, what challenges can we expect now?

Jennifer Morrison: You know everything has changed and the world is upside down for Emma. Not that she is Alice in Wonderland but in a sense that she feels like Alice in Wonderland who has gone down the rabbit hole. You know up is down and down is up and left is right and so her whole world is shaken up and she’s sort of kind of a new being. She’s born in a whole new way now and has to find a way to protect her son and protect her relationships with her family and develop them and figure out how to move forward without being so guarded and without keeping people out.

Will Emma be able to do magic in the second season?

You know it’s one of those things where it’s going to be a long process of discovery. Initially in the season it’s about dealing with the fact that magic has come at this moment and it’s going to take time to work that out and I think in her process of trying to keep everyone safe and trying to figure out what this means to the world you’re going to start discovering certain things she’s capable of and she’s going to start discovering certain things she’s capable of.

What can you tell us about a possible family reunion?

Yeah there is a family reunion and yeah, it’s complicated, I don’t know how else to put it, it’s just complicated.

Will we ever see Emma and Huntsman together again?

Oh you know it’s so funny our show seems to bring everyone back around and around and around so that’s something I can’t say!

Is there romance for her this season?

Absolutely there’s definitely romance coming.

Once Upon a Time Season 2 premieres on September 30, 2012 at 8 p.m. ET/PT on ABC.

http://www.wetpaint.com/once-upon-a-time/a...tm_campaign=vrl

12. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

Another new interview with Jen! There's also a video there with Lana and Ginny but Jen is the main printed interview. :wub:

'Once Upon A Time' Stars Preview What's Next!
    By Jarett Wieselman @JarettSays
    September 25, 2012

This Sunday, the second chapter in Once Upon A Time's journey to Happily Ever After begins and to get you as much scoop on the notoriously spoiler-phobic show as possible, I caught up with OUAT's three leading ladies!

Ginnifer Goodwin and Lana Parrilla previewed Regina and Snow's second acts at Entertainment Weekly's pre-Emmy party while Jennifer Morrison rang up TheInsider.com to break down Emma's upcoming adventures. Check out the video for starters and read on for more!

TheInsider.com: What are you most excited for fans to see in season two?
    Jennifer Morrison: I wouldn't even know where to start because we've been doing the most outrageous things. There are days I leave set and think, "What did I just do today?!?!" [laughs] The whole world opens up emotionally this year. When everyone didn't know who they were, there were such limitations on the way the characters could interact with one another because they were so affected by the curse. Now that we're free of that, the world is so different. Everyone has memories of their fairytale lives and their Storybrooke lives, so it's about combining those memories and figuring out what that means for them as a person having lived two such different lives. That affects how Emma feels about her parents, who they truly are, if she can handle it and realizing that Henry has been right this entire time. The doors are getting blown off emotionally – everything is so much more raw for everyone.

Insider.com: How many times does Henry say to Emma, "Ha! Told you!"
    Jennifer: [laughs] He definitely has a couple "I Told You" moments. He's mostly thrilled to be right and that everyone is moving forward. But I will say that everything gets complicated again, quite quickly.

Insider.com: Yeah, I can't imagine everyone has time to sit around and tell stories.
    Jennifer: Right. What ends up happening is all the emotional stuff gets interwoven in with the action of every episode. It's something Adam [Horowitz] & Edward [Kitsis, the creators] are so good at doing. Things are happening while we're working out the emotional stuff. We don't talk about it and have a cry – sh*t is going down while we're dealing with the fact we're mother and daughter. Everything happens at once instead of in pieces.

Insider.com: How does magic being released into Storybrooke affect Regina's relationship with Emma?
    Jennifer: Her initial reaction is some seriously intense anger for having almost killed Henry. That's always going to be there on some level, but the sad thing is, on Emma's part, she didn't want to have an antagonistic relationship with Regina. She never intended to take Henry away and she's said that! The threat of Emma is so huge in Regina's mind, that she can't help but antagonize her. So Emma has no choice but to be aggressive.

Insider.com: Everyone will have new memories except for Emma. Does she feel isolated in some way?
    Jennifer: We all know Emma is not the most advanced person emotionally. She either shuts down or makes fun for something instead of actually dealing with the emotions of it. It opens up the opportunity for Emma to have some great one liners.

Insider.com: How much room does all this emotional exposition leave for love in Emma's life?
    Jennifer: It was definitely a priority for the writers this year to bring men into her life. Interestingly, I think we can't truly be in healthy relationships until we work out issues with our parents, so I think it's fascinating that they've chosen the season where she begins to learn about her parents to also be the season where she opens herself up to love. But Emma definitely won't be the pursuer. She's a tough nut to crack, but there are men coming into her life who aggressively try to break through her armor.

Insider.com: Looking at what you've shot so far, what's your favorite episode in season two?
    Jennifer: Selfishly, I have to say episode six because it's Emma’s backstory [laughs]. As an actor, you work out a backstory with the writers and you obsess over it but so rarely do you get to actually put it on screen. There was a great luxury of getting to live that after so many months of talking about it. I also think episode five, which I'm not in at all, is a great one, because you'll meet Captain Hook. It's a great character and the fans should freak out – it's just that good!

Once Upon A Time premieres September 30 at 8 p.m. on ABC.

http://www.theinsider.com/tv/55776_Once_Up...ison/index.html

13. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

Thanks Heather! So excited for episode 6 :D

I also think episode five, which I'm not in at all, is a great one

:(

14. JMHBSK
        +1   -1

User deleted

The Hook episode is actually the 4th one. But yeah, I don't like having an Emma-less episode either.

15. HeatherC12
        +1   -1

User deleted

As long as they don't make a habit out of it (which they didn't in the first season), I don't mind having episodes that focus on others aside from Emma and the Charmings but the show is definitely better when Emma is part of the story. Let's see what they do before we get too bummed out about anything. I have faith in Eddy & Adam! :)

140 replies since 15/10/2011, 05:56   8040 views