User deleted

thanks Aleki :heart:

3. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

HOUSE's Jennifer Morrison makes herself at home in THE MIRACLE WORKER

By Kimberly Kaye

http://bit.ly/bfXeTj

Play Time: Morrison crashed her first audition at the tender age of five. “My mom told me when I was in kindergarten, I came home and said, ‘Mom, I’m an actor. Why am I not in a play?’ She was like, ‘What do you mean you’re an actor?’” At that moment, Jennifer decided she would join the second grade play, despite being two years too young. “I crashed the audition!” she laughs. “I just walked up to the teacher and said I was there to be in the play. She gave me a list of reasons why I was too young. I said, ‘I can read, I take voice lessons and I take dance lessons.’ I literally gave her no out!” The precocious Morrison nabbed a part, becoming the youngest member in the cast of The Hobbit.

Sign Me Up! The eldest of three born to two music teachers, Morrison grew up studying piano, clarinet and voice, but for her, it was all about acting. Local modeling contests helped attract a agent, and by age 10, she was booking modeling and commercial gigs for brands like J.C. Penney and Rice Krispies while auditioning for film and television. At 13, she landed her first major film role in Intersection, starring Richard Gere and Sharon Stone. “I was a kid! I didn’t have any proper training. [Director Mark Rydell] basically became my first acting teacher, and Richard and Sharon were so supportive. I was lucky to have that experience be my first.” Still, Morrison wasn’t satisfied: “I felt [during filming] I was doing whatever I could to just ‘get by.’ After that, my focus became pursuing every opportunity to learn more about acting.”

House Calls: After graduating from Loyola University Chicago’s undergrad theater program, Morrison continued her studies at Steppenwolf Theatre Company, where she worked with pros like Tina Landau, Amy Morton and Rondi Reed. By 2000, she was appearing in films such as Urban Legend: Final Cut, Grind and Mr. & Mrs. Smith. Then, in 2004, a script for a medical drama called House crossed her path. “I thought I was wrong for it,” the actress recalls. “The script was amazing, but I was supposed to be a 32-year-old doctor. I was 24. I thought, ‘Why would anyone buy me in this part?’” Her audition was a memorable mess: “It was pouring, traffic was horrible and I didn’t have an umbrella. I walked in like a drowned rat and [director/producer] Brian Singer was right there. Suddenly I’m in this room with all the producers, auditioning. I never had a chance to pull myself together!” Regardless, she got the part.

Doctor in the House: For the past six seasons, Morrison has played ambitious, empathetic Dr. Allison Cameron opposite Hugh Laurie’s cynical Dr. Gregory House on the hit medical mystery series. “I love my character,” she says. “Even though I‘ve played her for six years, I’m working with writers who are committed to her growing.” Morrison emphasizes life on the set with co-stars like Robert Sean Leonard, Omar Epps and Laurie is hard work: “It’s an intense environment in terms of the amount we shoot a day and the amount of medical information we need to know. We need to stay focused. The cast is one wonderful, dysfunctional family, but there’s no time for goofing around!”’

Broadway Mama: After a nearly 10-year hiatus, Morrison is returning to her stage roots with a Broadway debut as anguished mother Kate Keller, who cannot communicate with her blind and deaf daughter. “You dream of Broadway as a kid, but to be here? It blows my mind,” she says. Morrison, who cops to wide-eyed excitement about everything from props to costumes, is also finding her House focus useful in her demanding new role. “This is such an intricate ensemble piece. As much as it is about Annie Sullivan and Helen Keller, the family is very important. I never stop! I’m either onstage, running off to change costumes, or running back to the stage. Fortunately, [director] Kate Whoriskey helps keep us all present and focused. And, fortunately, I love it all!”
    source

Edited by Aleki77 - 27/2/2010, 19:20

4. briteen
        +1   -1

User deleted

I just found this "I heard through the grapevine that the set will be changed due to the negative comments on the internet with regard to obstructed views."

If it's true it was about time, I heard complains about people who have the backs of the actors all the time and they can't enjoy the play. The Miracle Worker has been getting great and awful reviews, I guess whoever complains it's about the stage in the round.

More than a week ago I sent to @miracleworkerny lots of critics about the stage in the round, I don't want the play to have negative reviews when it opens on March 3 because of it.

5. mvitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

a review suggested by folavril @ http://community.livejournal.com/house_cameron/

CITAZIONE
    Friday, February 26, 2010
    "I don't worry anymore, nothing like I did before. I don't worry, I just watch them rolling back. I don't worry anymore, 'cause it's all right, all right to see a ghost. And I wanna see 'em go down in the river where they go, and I wanna see 'em rolling, rolling back. And I wanna see 'em go, 'cause it's all right, all right to see your ghost." ~the national

We had our second snow day of the year today! It's crazy outside, so I stayed in. I think we got around 20 inches of snow (probably more, because it's still snowing). It was lovely to stay home.

Last night I went to see The Miracle Worker on Broadway. Oh. My. Gosh. All I have to say is: Abigail Breslin, Abigail Breslin, Abigail Breslin. Absolutely amazing. I loved the show, mostly because of the performances. I was in the front row in a perfect spot (I felt like I was onstage, and I practically was because the stage isn't raised, it's the same level as the audience and goes right up to your feet), and there was something about that intimacy that really made me connect to it. I love that theatre. Being mere feet away from Abigail Breslin and seeing her expressions up close was amazing. She really, really impressed me. She doesn't have a single line in the play (she plays Helen Keller), but she captured the character perfectly. She nailed the physicality. She'd be sitting onstage a couple of feet away from me with a heart-wrenching expression on her face and tears pouring down her cheeks, and tears would jump to my eyes as well. Alison Pill plays Annie Sullivan, and she was wonderful as usual. I've seen her in a bunch of things and she's one of my absolute favorite stage actresses (maybe my favorite). The two of them must be covered in bruises! Jennifer Morrison (from House) and Matthew Modine gave good (not wonderful, but good) performances as The Kellers.
    I've read complaints about this production, and most complaints were from people who had a bad view. Luckily I didn't have that problem; I had a perfect view. The play may not be suited to theatre in the round (or at least not when it's staged like it is), but I didn't have a problem seeing anything. I could understand why you wouldn't like it if you could only see the backs of the actors' heads, because that takes away the whole appeal; you need to see the actors' facial expressions to enjoy this play. I wonder if they'll change anything regarding the set before it opens.
    They were filming the performance, and there was a camera directly across from me, so I'm nervous that there will be some video in which I appear (crying and wearing my bright blue striped rain boots) that a bunch of people will see.

http://clairevoyant94.blogspot.com/2010/02...like-i-did.html

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Abigail Breslin plays Helen Keller in a Broadway revival

Sunday, February 28, 2010

By ROBERT FELDBERG
    RECORD COLUMNIST

Over the last eight years, few film actresses have been as busy as Abigail Breslin, who won't turn 14 until April.

Beginning in 2002, with "Signs," when she was 5, Breslin has made nearly 20 movies. She's best-known for her endearing, Oscar-nominated performance in "Little Miss Sunshine," playing a youngster determined to enter a kids beauty pageant.

Nothing in her impressive résumé, however, could prepare Breslin for what she's doing now.

She's making her first appearance on the stage, on Broadway, in a part that's notoriously demanding: She plays the deaf and blind young Helen Keller in a revival of William Gibson's "The Miracle Worker." Now in previews, the play opens Wednesday night at the Circle in the Square.

"Helen Keller has always been one of my heroes," said Breslin. "I first knew about her from reading a biography written for kids."

As for appearing on Broadway, she said, "Being from New York, doing a show on Broadway is such a big thrill for me; it's just iconic New York."

It's a mark of Breslin's poise, intelligence and thoughtfulness that hearing "iconic" said comfortably by a 13-year-old didn't seem strange at all.

She and her mother, Kim, who's her manager, were across the table from me at a midtown restaurant, having a quick dinner before heading back to the theater.

The pretty, delicate-featured young actress was in the midst of the most grueling part of a play's run: rehearsing during the day and giving preview performances at night.

But tired as she might have been, she was focused and engaging, exhibiting the dual qualities of being a real youngster yet also seeming older than her years that distinguish many of her movie performances.

The 1959 play, which has never previously been revived on Broadway – many people are familiar with the 1962 film – has a famous fight scene that is long and rough, with Helen's teacher, Annie Sullivan (Alison Pill), aggressively trying to tame the wild young girl.

"It's exhausting," said Breslin, "but luckily it comes right before intermission, and then I'm not in the first scene of the next act."

Even though the play hasn't opened yet, Breslin already has battle scars, which she described with some relish.

"I swung my hand and hit a knife, and I needed two stitches in my finger," she recalled.

"And then, another night, when I broke the head off a doll, I sliced three fingers."

Since the show really must go on, if at all possible, Breslin just continued to act after the doll incident.

"Jennifer Morrison, who plays my mother, noticed it first," she said, "and she alerted the people backstage. Then Alison saw it, and she turned ghost white. She thought my stitches had come out.

"But we made adjustments, touched each other in different ways. I was gushing blood, but the audience had no idea anything had happened."

That included Kim Breslin. "I didn't notice a thing," said the senior Breslin (a Jersey girl who grew up in Summit). "I went backstage, and I was shocked to see what had happened."

Her transition from film to stage was made easier by director Kate Whoriskey and the other cast members, Abigail said.

"Doing a play is totally different, but everyone has been very supportive," she said. "We didn't rehearse the whole play all at once in the beginning. We would do it in sections. Then, we did runs of Act 1, and then of Act 2. We built it up.

"One thing I have to remember onstage [as the deaf and blind Helen] is that I can't react [to what other characters say or do]."

The demands of preparing a play couldn't be eliminated, though.

"We rehearsed 10 hours a day, six days a week, for two months," said Breslin.

Whoriskey said she's been a pro all the way.

"Abigail may have more experience with film, but she has stagecraft in her blood," said the director.

"She handles [a difficult role] with a graceful honesty that is very rare — in someone of any age, not to mention a teenager; she is unquestionably wise beyond her years. I cannot imagine this production without her."

Breslin, who is home-schooled, said that as part of her preparation, she visited the Helen Keller National Center on Long Island.

"That was so great," she said. "They told us about all sorts of things."

When I suggested that in doing the role, Breslin might gain some understanding of what it was like to be Helen Keller, she politely disagreed.

"I don't think anyone can ever understand what it was like for her," she said. "You had to live that to really understand it, how challenging it was day to day.

"She was such an inspiring figure; her life is an example that you can do anything. I feel honored to be playing her."

E-mail: [email protected]

source

7. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    "And then, another night, when I broke the head off a doll, I sliced three fingers."

Since the show really must go on, if at all possible, Breslin just continued to act after the doll incident.

"Jennifer Morrison, who plays my mother, noticed it first," she said, "and she alerted the people backstage. Then Alison saw it, and she turned ghost white. She thought my stitches had come out.

"But we made adjustments, touched each other in different ways. I was gushing blood, but the audience had no idea anything had happened."

Non ne ho la certezza, ma penso che questo incidente con la bambola possa essere accaduto la notte di lunedì 22 febbraio ... quella parte del palco non la vedevo particolarmente bene perchè nascosta da alcuni mobili ... ma ricordo bene che Helen/Abigail sbatacchiò talmente tanto e con tanta forza la bambola da vedere le sottogonne (della bambola) volare via... ricordo il momento di smarrimento di Annie/Alison Pill, ma pensai che fosse tutto nella norma ... poi mercoledì 23 tornai a vedere lo spettacolo e notai che la bambola dai capelli biondi con il viso di porcellana e con un bel vestito chiaro (forse rosa) era stata sostituita con una bambola dai capelli neri, l'abito verde e il viso meno dettagliato (non so di quale materiale sia fatto) e lì per lì associai il cambiamento al vigore con il quale era stata sbatacchiata la povera bambola ...
    Lunedì sera non incontrai Jen, ma pazientemente l'attesi ignara che se ne fosse già andata dalla porta di servizio, così incontrai Abigail, che per quella sera, fu l'unica a rendersi disponibile e notai i cerotti sulle dita come dimostra la foto che le feci ... ma non collegai le due cose ... le sere successive vidi ancora i cerotti e il mio pensiero fu: "Che si sia fatta male cucendo (in un paio di scene lavora su del cartoncino con un grosso ago da lana) o che li usa in scena per rendere più veritiera la cosa?" ... ora che so la verità ho un maggiore rispetto per Abigail e per la sua professionalità ... non deve essere facile mantenersi "composti" (in realtà in quella scena urla) mentre Annie/Alison Pill le computa "Bad girl" e "good girl" su di una mano .. [poco dopo entra Jennifer/Kate e scopre l'alfabeto per i sordi e con Annie/Alison corcorda sull'impararlo sin dall'indomani ... poi Helen/Abigail punge con un ago sul braccio Annie/Alison e Kate/Jennifer corre a consolare Helen/Abigail, le da un dolce (e Annie/Alison la rimprovera), ma l'amore di madre vince su tutto e Kate/Jennifer si porta via la sua bambina perchè è l'ora di andare a dormire] ;)

SPOILER (click to view)

Domani, con calma comincerò a postare le foto con Jennifer Morrison e farò una review allo show che ormai penso di sapere a memoria ;)

Edited by Aleki77 - 1/3/2010, 09:22

8. briteen
        +1   -1

User deleted

Photo Flash: THE MIRACLE WORKER on Bway

www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo...n_Bway_20100301

Bigger version

image image image

Edited by Aleki77 - 2/3/2010, 05:53

9. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Omg! Omg! Wonderful pics! Thaks Briteen

10. briteen
        +1   -1

User deleted

The Miracle Worker Broadway Grosses 02/28/2010

Not so good :( or it seems to me that tickets were cheaper this week because total seats sold were 5,220/6,176

www.broadwayworld.com/grossesshow.c...IRACLE%20WORKER

Aleki, do you know if you can buy a ticket for $31?

11. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

I never bought the tickets at 31 $ ...

12. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    EWAusielloFiles

Just saw MIRACLE WORKER on Broadway. WOW. Alison Pill was phenomenal. The Tony is hers to lose. Abigail Breslin also terrific. JMo too. Wow!

http://twitter.com/EWAusielloFiles/status/9857671777

CITAZIONE
    ThomasNegron

@EWAusielloFiles Thought I saw you there! Abigail Breslin did well in a tough role. Jennifer Morrison was great.

http://twitter.com/ThomasNegron/statuses/9858345075

CITAZIONE
    suzejay

abigail breslin was AMAZINg in the miracle worker! as was jennifer morrison !

http://twitter.com/suzejay/statuses/9857933005

CITAZIONE
    HB_Barb
    Saw The Miracle Worker tonight. Loved Loved Loved it. Allison Pill and Abigail Breslin were fantastic. Of course Jennifer Morrison was too.

http://twitter.com/HB_Barb/status/9859580434

Edited by Aleki77 - 2/3/2010, 05:42

13. mvitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

wow! thanks for the first stage photos!

and thanks for the twitter messages, it's nice to read them!

14. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Alcune recensioni ... complimenti agli attori ma non alla regista! Possibilità di chiusura anticipata dello show?? :( :cry:

CITAZIONE
    I sat in the front row of the center of the 200 section and thought I had a perfect view. For me, the theatre in the round really brought a feeling of intimacy to it. But I suppose it could be a whole different experience depending on where you're sitting. I loved the show, especially Breslin and Pill's performances; Abigail Breslin really, really impressed me.
    Random note: they were filming it tonight.

CITAZIONE
    I saw this tonight, with ljay and alightinthedark.

Lovely production, with some great performances. Breslin makes a strong Broadway debut, though I'm not sure I can adequately evaluate her performance, since I spent most of the show looking at the back of her head (more on that in a second). Morrison and Modine are both quite good in stereotypical roles as overprotective parents. Elizabeth Franz and her considerable talents are sadly wasted in a throwaway role. I thought Allison Pill was sensational and the star of the evening.

The main problem with this production, as almost everyone else has noted, lies in the direction. This director simply does not have a clue as to how to stage a show in the round. We were seated in the second row of the 400 section, and for at least half the play, I was either peering around someone, or looking at the back of heads. It was incredibly frustrating to not be able to see either Pill or Breslin during the breakfast scene. The people who could see it seemed quite into it, but it fell flat for me, given the horrible sight lines. There are numerous other instances where I felt I was "missing" something, since I couldn't actually see the faces of the actors. It was frustrating and something that it seems like they're not interested in addressing or fixing. To be honest, the horrendous staging was the only thing preventing me from becoming completely swept up in the play.

Interestingly enough, I just read over on ATC that a closing notice has been posted backstage, pending reviews on Wednesday. From what I could see, the house was heavily papered this evening (with a number of Broadway actors present), and there were still a good deal of empty seats. It would be a shame to see it close, as the performances are all excellent. They just really needed a better director.

CITAZIONE
    I agree Adamgreer. I thought the show was fantastic. Allison Pill and Abigail Breslin were spot on. The blocking was annoying and I also spent a lot of time staring at the back of heads. The whole cast was awesome.

I'm a big House fan so I was happy to see Jennifer Morrison portray Kate Keller so well.

I really hope the show gets great reviews because it really is a production that should be seen. If you get the chance to see it, please do!

http://broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage...dt=20&boardid=1

15. briteen
        +1   -1

User deleted

I just read that rumor Aleki, it's in All the Chat Forum, but it's just a RUMOR, someone asked if it's true that a certain show (The Miracle Worker) , still in previews, has posted a closing notice backstage and that it all depends on the reviews they receive (on Wednesday) and if they see a bump in their sales.

But noone knows anything.

The thread starts here www.talkinbroadway.com/allthatchat/d.php?id=1829172

I'm going to DM @miracleworkerny

Edited: I already sent a DM to @miracleworkerny, could you ask them about it too?

Edited by briteen - 2/3/2010, 15:27

186 replies since 14/12/2009, 13:48   17065 views