House: The Shipper Wars

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Spoiler until 6,17 Lockdown

House: The Shipper Wars

April 23, 2010

I have to say, I was pretty surprised by my responses to my review of ‘Lockdown’. I received a lot of angry comments about my view of Cuddy that episode, along with many accusations of being a ‘Hameron’ (despite my lack of ever mentioning Hameron) and being told I was too judgemental, bashing Cuddy… etc. Maybe I shouldn’t have been so surprised, because, as many long-time House fans know, “shipping wars” are a huge feature of the show.

(Before I receive too much hatemail for this, I’d just like to emphasize that this list is what I view to be a very basic chronological order, and only details those relationships which affect House himself.)

“Hilson”

The Hilson relationship is often defined as the core dynamic of the entire show. The concept of Hilson is so firmly embedded into the show because from the very beginning parallels were supposed to be drawn between “House” and “Holmes” and “Wilson” and “Watson”, and indeed the entire show is loosely based on the Sherlock Holmes idea. House and Wilson’s “bromance” is dysfunctional and one of the strangest friendships ever seen on television, but the off-beat connection between these two men is staggeringly fascinating to watch. Their witty dialogue, childish pranks, yet poignantly touching scenes really make this shipping pair a truly unique one.

“Hameron”

Hameron, once one of the largest fanbases in the entire House saga, has a devoted following. The Hameron relationship consists of our show’s anti-protagonist, the gruff, older mentor Dr House, and his young and beautiful yet hopelessly naive colleague. Once the golden “it must happen” couple, the word “Hameron” is now used mainly as an insult towards anyone who displays even a slightly un-Huddy or Cuddy view, despite whether or not they actually support the couple. Despite Cameron’s departure midway through season 6, Hameron fans refuse to give up hope that their “eye sex” defined relationship will possibly one day progress into something more concrete, as Cameron’s exit was a shock felt throughout the House community.

“Huddy”

Huddy is undoubtedly one of the current driving forces of the show, and the fascinatingly antagonistic relationship between Lisa Cuddy and Gregory House has always been a core part of the show’s success. As a high-powered career woman, Cuddy is left to deal with House’s illegal, immoral, and sexually harassing antics – which means that the sexual “frenemy” tension between the two is often sizzling with heat. Huddies are currently one of the most vocal and dedicated fanbases, and many agree they usurped the power of the Hameron around season 4, although their chemistry has been present ever since The Pilot and many have been rooting for this ship since the very beginning.

In the beginning the show took a much more Hameron-centred view, exploring the possibility of an amorous relationship between House and Cameron, especially in season 1 with Cameron’s crush. Their obvious feelings of mutual attraction were a completely different feel from the Huddy attraction, with Hameron renowned for its long, intense looks, whereas Huddy more for its witty banter. After roughly three seasons of an on-and-off Hameron focus, the ship eventually seemed to give way to the Huddy arc, which has dominated for the last few seasons, after moving on from a power-play with major sexual tension to a more possible romance. I don’t think Hilson has changed much, as it is solely a brotherhood, and unaffected by House’s romances.

So – are the writers going to continue down the Huddy path? With the departure of Cameron, it seems a distinct possibility, although you never know – fans could get sick of Huddy if they get too happy or boring. Many fans already feel that the writers have made Huddy more into a childish soap-opera, while others feel it is only just starting to reach its full potential.

Thoughts? Who do you support? Who do you hate? Who do you think is never going to happen? And who do you feel must?

http://talkingtv.wordpress.com/2010/04/23/...e-shipper-wars/

2. mvitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

thanks Aleki.

this is my comment:
    Hameron.
    I don’t know why the authors changed OTP to repeat a non-relationship :(
    if huddy would become the arc that make House and Cuddy in a difficult interesting adult relationship the show probably wouldn’t suffer of the BIG loss of audience.
    Huddy is a Hameron copy and they wouldn’t go anywhere because the writers don’t wanto to make House go anywhere. Cameron or Cuddy doesn’t count anymore as the quality of the show itself. I don’t think Hilson could save the day without a good strong Hameron or Huddy partner.
    I miss my show a lot.

1 replies since 25/4/2010, 11:29   231 views