Once Upon a Time: Interview to Cast & Crew

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Tonight on Once Upon A Time: Snow White & Prince Charming’s Origin Story

Written By Clarissa

Last week’s new episode of Once Upon a Time gave us a deeper look at the Evil Queen and the origin of her curse, although we’re still not yet sure exactly how her relationship with Snow White became so fractured. Tonight’s episode will show us the very first meeting between Snow White and Prince Charming in the fairytale world. In Storybrooke, Henry will convince Emma and Mary Margaret that Mary should read to John Doe from the book of fairytales in order to get through to him. Will it have the desired effect? You’ll have to tune in tonight to see.

When we visited the set of Once Upon a Time last month in Vancouver, we had the opportunity to chat with stars Gennifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas about Snow and Charming’s first meeting. Be warned, their first meeting is not the stuff of fairytale legends. Dallas explained that their first encounter shows us a glimpse of Snow before her life with the seven dwarves, while we’ll see the Prince at a different moment in his life. Goodwin said that their meeting is “unexpected”. “I was really excited to tackle the inception of their story because it is based, I think, more on animosity, manipulation and selfishness and they have a very far way to go from their moment of meeting to falling in love...There can be love at first sight and you can still find that there is a lot of animosity, manipulation and selfishness. [Especially] when you have two strong people who want what they want.”

Despite their rocky start, Dallas assured us that “There’s definitely this huge attraction when they first meet” and hinted that we’ll find out how exactly he got the name “Charming”.

Dallas and Goodwin are having a ball playing these characters. When we first saw Snow White in the pilot, we could see she was no shrinking violet as she wielded a sword when the Evil Queen crashed her wedding, and Goodwin is ecstatic about playing this strong-willed version of Snow White: “I love that we have found a way, I feel, to justify what we know of Snow White in how Disney represents her and how the Grimms represent her and how a million different authors and storytellers have represented her. But we’ve still been able to hand her a sword and have it work.” Snow might not be a warrior or a professional fighter like the Prince, but “she has been through so much that she has found self-reliance [and] self-sufficiency and strength to protect herself and protect the people she loves.”

Dallas, meanwhile, tries not to crumble under the pressure of playing such an iconic fairytale role as a gallant prince. “If I thought about being Prince Charming...the pressure is too great. You have to think of him as man in the situation he is in. Charming is just a name that he has and he has this epic love for Snow. That’s what you have to play as opposed to saying ‘I’m going to play Prince Charming today’.” Dallas stresses that Charming is certainly handy with the sword and good with charming ladies, but Once Upon A Time’s writers have not made him a typical Disney prince. “[He doesn’t just] swoop in out of nowhere, kisses the girl and saves everyone and then he’s gone. He's a man of substance. He does have this epic true love for Snow. But he’s still a prince. He has a kingdom to run. He has someone who’s threatening his family that he needs to take care of. I look at him as an everyman. He’s a prince that gets his hands dirty…he’s a man of the people.”

once upon a time abcBack in the real world of Storybrooke, Mary Margaret and John Doe are about as far as you can get from their fairytale counterparts. Mary Margaret is a lovely woman, but doesn’t yet possess Snow’s strong will. Goodwin told us that “Mary Margaret has not found herself yet. But she is feeling the sparks of something she can’t really quite put her finger on. She knows she’s having these urges to finally stand up to Regina. She’s not quite able to follow through but something is being kindled in her and she assumes that it’s the influence of Emma.”

Speaking of Emma, tonight’s episode marks the beginning of a deeper friendship between these two women. Executive Producer Steven Pearlman said that while Henry keeps trying to tell Emma that Mary Margaret is technically her mother, the idea of inconceivable to Emma. “That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to Emma, because how can this woman, who is her contemporary, be her mother? We follow, over the course of the first batch of episodes, this growing friendship between Emma and Mary. There are a number of scenes where the underlying tension, if you will, from Emma’s perspective is ‘is she my mother?’. It adds a whole layer of tension and interest.”

Jennifer Morrison explains that while their relationship grows, there’s still confusion on Emma’s part because “Emma can be so strong in any circumstance and handle herself in any circumstance and has been through so much. But Mary Margaret is the first person she’s come across who is so authentically kind that it’s disarming, because she doesn’t seem to want anything back. Emma doesn’t know how to function with someone that genuine. She’s never come across it in her life. And she has a lot of trouble accepting the fact that she doesn’t have ulterior motives or she doesn’t want to hurt [Emma] in any way.”

As for Mary Margaret and John Doe’s relationship in Storybrooke, you’ll just have to see how it progresses. But Steven Pearlman understands the desire of the romantic fan for these two characters to be together in the real world. He explains that the the writers are building and escalating the story of these two characters, but warns that there are some interesting twists about what happens to them in the real world. Of course, John Doe needs to open his eyes for that to begin, so we’ll just need to wait and see when that happens.

Below are four sneak peeks for tonight's new episode of Once Upon a Time, airing at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC. You can also view a trailer and browse through episode photos here.

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/abc/once-upon...ak-peeks/102993

137 replies since 18/10/2011, 20:57   6848 views