Once Upon a Time: Interview to Cast & Crew

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Lana Parrilla casts a spell in dual roles in ‘Once Upon a Time’

By Amy Amatangelo

She killed her own father and destroyed countless lives, but Lana Parrilla still feels the Evil Queen’s pain.

Parrilla stars as the dastardly monarch and as Regina, the mayor of Storybrooke, in ABC’s new hit “Once Upon a Time” (tonight at 8 on WCVB, Ch. 5). The network picked up the show for a full season after but two episodes had aired.

“If I really think about the queen, there’s a reason why she’s evil,” Parrilla told the Herald last week from the show’s set. “So, as an actor, when I analyze the origin of her pain and where it derives from, I’m not being evil for the sake of being evil. I’m not killing anyone for the sake of just killing them. There’s a reason behind it. She’s revengeful because she’s been betrayed.”

Regina has an adopted son Henry (Jared Gilmore), who is actually the grandson of Snow White and Prince Charming.

“Playing Regina, what I always keep in mind is this love for Henry,” the Brooklyn, N.Y., native said. “This fight for her son. I know she’s an adopted mother, but I can’t think of it that way. Henry is her son. She’s raised him. She’s mothered him for 10 years. In my mind, and I think in any adopted mother’s mind, there’s no difference.”

Regina’s reign of terror is being threatened now that Henry has brought his birth mother Emma (Jennifer Morrison), the only person who can break the Evil Queen’s spell, to Storybrooke.

“At this point, does she know that Emma can break the curse, I don’t think so,” Parrilla said. “But things have changed in Storybrooke. People are starting to remember. That’s a major threat in itself. When someone is in power for 28 years and she’s used to things operating a certain way — how people treat her, how people speak to her, how they just do what she says — and then something shifts? She’s a bit thrown by it all.”

Parrilla described tonight’s episode, which finds Cinderella (guest star Jessy Schram) making a deal with Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle), as sinister. Upcoming episodes will explore the origins of Jiminy Cricket (Raphael Sbarge) and other fairy tale characters.

“We’re going to be alternating between light and dark episodes,” she said.

Inspired by her aunt, character actress Candice Azzara (“Caroline in the City”), Parrilla, 34, has been studying to be an actress since she was 16. She starred in such shows as “Boomtown,” “Swingtown” and last season’s “Miami Medical.” “Once Upon a Time” is her seventh series.

“I don’t look at any of my shows as a failure,” she said. “I’ve worked with incredible people, very interesting people, and I’m grateful. I keep going because I love what I do. I love the craft. I love the art of acting. I love rehearsals. I don’t see myself giving up, ever. If any of the shows would have gone for a number of years, I wouldn’t be playing these two powerful characters now.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...e_upon_a_timeb/

137 replies since 18/10/2011, 20:57   6848 views