Once Upon a Time: Interview to Cast & Crew

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

The Evil Queen Speaks: On the Set with 'Once Upon A Time's' Lana Parrilla

Danielle Turchiano, LA TV Insider Examiner
    October 27, 2011

At the end of the Once Upon A Time pilot, Emma (Jennifer Morrison) asks Regina (Lana Parrilla) if she truly does love her adopted son Henry (Jared Gilmore), a boy that Emma gave up for adoption ten years prior. Having been born from a fairy-tale, Emma has a magical power of her own, you see; she can always tell when someone is lying. So as she studies Regina’s face when Regina claims that yes, of course she loves her son, and then moves into Granny’s B&B, the audience gets the impression that Emma knows a truth about Regina already that perhaps Regina has yet to even admit to herself. LA TV Insider Examiner had a chance to sit down with Parrilla on the Vancouver set of Once Upon A Time earlier this month to weigh in on if Regina truly had a caring bone in her body or if her “Evil Queen ways” were shining through every moment, even in the Storybrooke world.

LA TV Insider Examiner: The most interesting characters on television are often the ones with complex dynamics, so how “bad” is Regina, really? We imagine she must at least be trying to care about others if she adopted this child in the first place.

Lana Parrilla: I think a lot of people make decisions to have, you know, children sometimes for the wrong reasons. Maybe there’s a void in their lives that they’re trying to fill, and I think Regina is doing that with Henry.

Do you think, then, that she knows who Henry really is, and she took him in to kind of control the situation?

L.P.: No, I don’t. I don’t think she knows who Henry is. I think she’s just a major control freak…It’s hard when you’re trying to navigate everything and trying to make everything go so smoothly and perfectly and then it doesn’t turn out that way.

Regina doesn’t seem to have many friends in town, and obviously neither does the Evil Queen. How does the addition of Maleficent change that?

L.P.: I think it’s going to be great! We shot this scene and [Kristen Bauer] and I had an incredible time; we got along really well. She’s very talented; she’s a very strong, powerful woman-- beautiful woman-- and we just go head to head. And there is a friendship between these two villains. Well, they describe them as “frenemies” [but] as actors we really got along, so it helps. It’s a really great scene, and I had a blast filming it.

Who do you think is more competition, in Regina’s eyes, for Henry’s affection: Emma or Mary Margaret?

L.P.: Oh Emma, absolutely! Emma’s a huge threat…Right now the biggest threat is Emma, for multiple reasons, you know? She can break this curse, and Regina will lose her power—but then the threat of losing her son. That’s always prominent; I always keep that in mind when I’m playing Regina.

A character with the name of “Evil Queen,” even when transformed to a real world counterpart seems to beg a lot of specific, expected behavior from the stories we all read as little kids. How is your version different?

L.P.: I think you see a more sympathetic, more vulnerable side when it comes to Henry. Even though she’s this evil queen, she has the ability to love, and even as the Evil Queen, there was a time she did love deeply.

Do you believe that Regina actually does love her son?

L.P.: I think she really loves him. She’s holding on so tight, and as one does when they’re holding on too tight, they slip through your fingers, and that’s what Henry does; he slips through her fingers…The love is present, and that will help the audience relate to her more on a human level.

Can the Evil Queen be seen as redeemable, too? With “Evil” in the title, we have always been taught no…

L.P.: I think they’ll relate to her, like I said, when you see where this hatred derives from. You know, what she’s gone through and what she’s lost. That will help people relate to her more. And then she’s just fun, too, you know?. She’s big; she’s bold; she’s so out there, and she’s not afraid to say what she feels. And there’s something quite refreshing about that, you know, when someone can be that expressive and not give a shit. I like that about her. I like playing her. And the costumes are phenomenal!

And Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold has been called the “big bad,” in a way perhaps even more of a threat to the fairy-tale characters’ happy endings than the Evil Queen/Regina. But who would you say is the biggest threat to her?

L.P.: For some reason, I think-- it’s so weird, we haven’t even seen that, but just when you asked that question, I saw Henry’s face because he represents truth, you know? Emma represents hope, but he really is the truth in that world, and Regina has not quite, you know, utilized that resource yet! But I’m sure somewhere in her she knows that he is that voice.

http://www.examiner.com/tv-insider-in-los-...a#ixzz1cJ5za1Ha

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'Once Upon a Time' Stars Lana Parrilla and Josh Dallas Talk Show Creators' Secretive Ways (Video)

The actors describe how the former "Lost" producers unveil their story lines on the new ABC series.

2:19 PM PDT 10/30/2011 by Jethro Nededog

When one works on a show executive produced by Lost’s Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, it appears that one has to be at peace with knowing only part of their character’s story. That’s apparently the case with the men’s new series on ABC, the fairy tale meets modern times drama, Once Upon a Time.

“They’re being very private with everything and I think it’s smart of them to do that,” Lana Parrilla, who plays Regina/ the Evil Queen, tells The Hollywood Reporter.

“They did that on Lost, as well,” she continues. “A lot of the guest stars – I was one – didn’t get the whole script. You only got what you were shooting. Sometimes, it’s challenging, but I understand why. We want to keep this show as secret as possible, not wanting to spoil anything.”

Parrilla did tell THR a bit of what she knows to be true about her character who is one of the few people in the show’s mythic Storybrooke who knows what’s going on. After all, she’s responsible for the curse that brought the fairy tale characters into the modern times and erased their memories.

“There’s a lot of secrets, there’s a lot to contain, there’s a lot to mask as Regina,” she says. “She’s a much more complex character I find. I think the Evil Queen, she is as well, she’s just fun. She puts it out there. There’s like nothing to hide and she has fun with it. She likes destroying people’s lives.”

As for Prince Charming, he has definitely seen better days than his current state as the comatose John Doe. So, while the show likes to keep its story lines secret, actor Josh Dallas tells THR a bit of what he knows will be revealed about his dashing character.

“You’re certainly going to find out how Snow White and Prince Charming met,” Dallas tells THR. “And you’re going to find out the origins of Prince Charming, where he comes from and how he became prince and that whole story. You’re just going to find out more about the man… and possibly John Doe might be waking up, maybe not, we’ll have to watch and find out.”

“Poor John Doe, it’s all my fault,” Parrilla then jokingly interjects.

Tune into ABC at 8 p.m. on Sundays to find out how the story unfolds on Once Upon a Time.

Watch the full interview below.

http://youtu.be/bWVnj3H1M8w

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed...nterview-255095

3. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon A Time - Chapter Two: The Curse and the Queen - Featurette #03

http://youtu.be/p9WkGK_C3zI

4. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Josh Dallas charms in ‘Once Upon A Time’ but isn't as cookie-cutter as he seems

Danielle Turchiano, LA TV Insider Examiner 11/02/2011 7:56 AM

It has to be a tall order for any actor when they see the words “Prince Charming” on a character breakdown. And not simply a “Prince Charming” type , but an actual live action representation of a fairy-tale character. He must be handsome; he must be kind; he must be able to make young girls and young women swoon every time he comes on screen. But for Once Upon A Time ’s Prince Charming, Josh Dallas , it gets a little more complicated than that. It appears Prince Charming may be in the eye of the beholder because for Dallas, the guy he’s playing is just an “every man.”

“We’re going all the way back to the origins of Snow White and Prince Charming. We’re going to find out how they met; where they met; what his real name is; how he got the name Charming. We’re going to find out a lot of information of his backstory and how that epic true love was kindled,” Dallas previewed for LA TV Insider Examiner when we caught up with him in Storybrooke.

“You know, in fairytale land, it’s a place that’s visually very bright, where dreams can come true, and Storybrooke [is] darker; it’s gray; it’s colder; it’s a place where time has stopped and we’re all trapped there and no one has any memories and no one can get out.”

The show itself may deal in duality, but so do the characters. For Dallas, it isn’t enough to play fairy-tale land Charming and his currently comatose Storybrooke counterpart, though.

Ready to learn more than you expected to about Prince Charming??

“Storybrooke David is in some peril and in a coma. I will say that he’s not in it for long, and so we’re going to learn a lot more about him, and his story is yet to be discovered in Storybrooke,” Dallas shared, revealing “our world” Charming’s real name.

“Who he is, who his family is, what his maybe real or false memories are…You will find out, you know, and it’s what I’m finding out, too, as an actor, is finding out who this man is. Right now he’s very lost and confused…Who knows? Maybe there is even two princes…Maybe there’s even a prince and a pauper situation.”

This will make a lot more sense when you learn Charming’s real name in the fairy-tale land. If each person has a direct counterpart in each world, than we are missing another version of each man in each world. It is unclear as of yet just how and when that will all come to a head, but if it means we get double the double dose of Dallas, then we’re looking forward to that reveal most of all!

Dallas also revealed that family members will come out of the woodwork when David awakens. Some will claim to be a part of his past, with a draw to Mary Margaret ( Ginnifer Goodwin ), but not all will have pure intentions. Similarly, though, we will get to see his family on the fairy-tale side of things, starting with his dad, King George (guest star Alan Dale ).

“He is king of the kingdom, and the kingdom is ailing, and he needs some help. He goes to King Midas, and they make a deal, and King Midas says, ‘Well, if your son slays this dragon, I will take care of your kingdom. I will give you gold; I will give you riches; you will be taken care of.’ So he makes a deal with Midas for me to slay this dragon,” Dallas explained.

Many little girls dream of a handsome prince like Dallas coming into their lives and sweeping them off their feet, while little boys like Dallas just want the chance to pick up a sword and play the hero. Once Upon A Time is truly a dream come true for all in that regard, especially the actors who get to live out multiple fantasies through more than one complex character in the same show.

Once Upon A Time airs on Sunday nights at 8pm on ABC.

http://m.examiner.com/exLosAngeles/pm_7056...ntguid=vqVvcjKj

Edited by Aleki77 - 5/11/2011, 01:48

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Goodwin: 'Once Upon a Time' Robs Happy Endings

http://youtu.be/qqKVg8MmJZ4

CITAZIONE
    'Once Upon a Time' star Ginnifer Goodwin says the ABC show imagines a world where an evil queen pilfers happy endings from fairy tale characters - like her Snow White. (Oct. 28)

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

New series could live happily ever after

Once Upon a Time, filmed in Vancouver, shows early signs of being the breakout drama this fall

By Alex Strachan, Vancouver Sun November 4, 2011

When: Sundays at 7 p.m.

Where: CTV Also airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on ABC

It's a TV story fit for a fairy tale. Once upon a time, there was a hit TV show - and it wasn't the one the experts predicted.

After just two airings, Once Upon a Time, the filmed-in-Vancouver hardluck parable about a group of fairytale characters trapped in a New England town, is showing early signs of being the breakout broadcast drama of the fall, according to the entertainment industry website Deadline Hollywood.

Once Upon a Time drew a surprising 12.8 million viewers in the U.S. for its Oct. 23 debut, opposite both the NFL on rival network NBC and the World Series on FOX. More remarkable, perhaps, those numbers held up this past weekend for ABC, despite competition from The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horror, an annual Halloween tradition. Usually, a new program's ratings drop in the second week, once initial curiosity has worn off. Once Upon a Time has defied the trend.

Analysts attribute Time's success in part to the series' originality - it's neither a police procedural nor a courtroom drama - and its family-friendly feel. Once Upon a Time airs on a network, ABC, in a time period that was home for 55 years to the long-running family anthology series The Wonderful World of Disney, which ran between 1955 and 2008. The Wonderful World of Disney last aired on Christmas Eve, 2008.

By tapping into a family audience with its fanciful tale of a prince, a lonely adopted boy and an evil queen, Once Upon a Time may be filling a void in prime-time TV on the major broadcast networks.

Once Upon a Time airs on CTV in Canada, where it drew more than 1.8 million viewers for its Oct. 23 opener. Ironically, The Wonderful World of Disney ran on CBC in Canada.

Once Upon a Time is produced in Vancouver by ABC Studios, and was created by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, formerly staff writers and co-producers of the Emmy Awardwinning series Lost. The series's executive producer in charge of production is ABC Studios' Steve Pearlman, who, earlier this year, supervised production of the science-fiction thriller V, also in Vancouver.

Ginnifer Goodwin plays the dual role of Snow White and Mary Margaret Blanchard; Jennifer Morrison, one of the original cast members of House, plays the sole character of Emma Swan. Veteran character actor and Glasgow native Robert Carlyle plays the dual role of Rumpelstiltskin and town billionaire Mr. Gold, and Lana Parrilla, formerly of Boomtown, has the thankless role of the Evil Queen and the conniving town mayor, Regina Mills. The role of the adopted boy, Henry, is played by Jared Gilmore, who plays Don Draper's son in the Emmy-winning Mad Men.

Once Upon a Time's onscreen tale is a story of good and evil, involving poisoned apples and sleeping curses. The fairy-tale characters who reside in the New England town of Storybrooke have been cursed into forgetting their true identities.

Behind the scenes, though, the family drama looks, sounds, plays and feels more like family. Those poisoned apples, for one, are actually candied, Parrilla noted this past summer, during a break in filming.

"I give Jared [Gilmore] candied apples on the side, that aren't poisoned, obviously."

Parrilla doesn't see her character as being that cruel or evil, in any event.

"As Regina, I come from a place of love, really, and fear of losing a son, and the threat posed by Emma Swan coming into this town. Sometimes, when you're faced with that kind of threat, it doesn't bring out the best in someone. She feels this kind of possession over Henry, and she really wants him to love her. But he hates her. He just hates her. And we'll get into why, further down the road.

"But when we're not filming, Jared and I are buds and we have a great time together."

Kitsis, the series' co-creator with Horowitz, says the actors' small touches, improvised in the moment, add immeasurably to the overall effect.

"One of my favourite moments in the pilot is when Lana comes into Mary Margaret's classroom, and the kids are running out, and she just pushes them. There's this little push she gives - and I just loved that."

Goodwin, for her part, is determined that Mary Margaret not be too treacly or sentimentally sweet.

"Because Mary Margaret is unaware she has ever had a child, her maternal instincts are more subconscious than anything," Goodwin said. "She honestly is drawn to her daughter [Emma Swan] almost as a peer, and I think she admires traits in her daughter that she doesn't know or understand or even realize she got from her, when she was in her Snow White form.

"We're exploring this idea that there's a familiarity and trust there, and neither really knows why that it. That's not outlandish to me. We all meet people all the time who we feel are inherently similar to us, but don't know why."

Goodwin is determined, too, to put her time in Vancouver off-set to good use. At the season's outset, she vowed to tackle the Grouse Grind hiking trail.

Morrison, for her part, is throwing herself into her scenes opposite Goodwin.

"From Emma's perspective, Mary Margaret is disarming, because she's kind and doesn't have any ulterior motives," Morrison said. "Most of Emma's life, she's encountered people who are only nice if they want something from her. Interestingly, in the same way I feel about my own parents when I go home, it's like you suddenly feel 14 again. No matter how old you are, you're like, 'Oh, God, I'm right back to feeling like I'm borrowing the keys to the car,' or something.

"There's a DNA thing going on that neither of them realizes."

The early ratings success has come as a pleasant surprise to a series many assumed arrived too late in the season and with too little fanfare to make much of an impression. Instead, the future looks bright, all of a sudden.

Once Upon a Time may live happily ever after, after all.

http://www.vancouversun.com/entertainment/...l#ixzz1cmroS15g

7. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time: Lana Parrilla Reveals Regina/Evil Queen Spoilers

Sunday’s episode of Once Upon a Time is all about the Evil Queen and the time-freezing curse she placed on our favorite storybook characters, trapping them in a small town, unaware of their identities.

Putting meat on the bones of a character who could have been a cliché is Lana Parrilla, who, in deliciously complex fashion, gets to exercise over-the-top meanness in Fairytale Land, while showing off more sneaky, life-ruining abilities in the real world.

“I am having a blast,” she told Wetpaint Entertainment at a recent visit to the Once Upon a Time set in Vancouver. “As an actor, you always think, what’s you dream role? I feel like I’m playing so many different characters in one. It’s so fun and complex. It challenges me as an actor.”

Lana gave us the scoop (and we’re talking lots and lots of scoop) on her two characters.

Wetpaint Entertainment: Are the two characters the same person to you?

Lana Parrilla: They kind of are. They’re both pretty evil in their own ways. The Evil Queen is just a joy to play, she’s just so out there and fierce and there’s no holding back with her, whereas Regina is much more contained. She has to be, being a political figure. But I love them both. They both have a heart — even if it’s cold and frozen.

What’s it like to play a character we all know so well, but go beyond caricature?

I don’t think we’ve seen humanity, well, maybe later with Disney characters. The one that comes to mind is Ursula. You can see a desperation in her, which is something I’ve been able to show in the Evil Queen, because they write it. I think what people are going to love about our show is that these characters are very human, even though they are these iconic caricatures.

With as much power as she has, does Regina have an inkling that she’s part of the greater fairy-tale world?

I think you can see that she knows who she is. We don’t really get into that until later. So you will see how much she really knows.

We’ve seen that Regina, as a mother, has a vulnerable side. Does the Queen have vulnerabilities?

Absolutely. You will definitely see a vulnerable side to the Queen, and it will help people relate to her on a human level.

Does it relate to Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin)?

What I’ve been trying to show is the hatred towards Snow White, where it derives from. It’s not so surface. So that brings a vulnerability to the character, and also a history. You’ll see into our history and that exposes her.

We have to admit, Once Upon a Time’s Evil Queen, played by Lana Parrilla, is kind of badass.

Do you think the Queen knew that the spell was going to be this out of control?

It’s interesting, Episode 2 [“The Thing You Love Most”] will tell you a lot about this curse, and her need for the curse to be successful. And how she goes about getting it, and successfully going about it. You learn more about who the Queen is and why she became evil.

Do you think Henry (Jared Gilmore) has absorbed any of her darkness?

No. He’s a good kid, and I think he relates more to the Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) character, which is probably what’s frustrating for Regina as well.

She’s been raising Henry for 10 years. Does she care about him, or is she just using him as a pawn?

I think she does care for him. I think she really does love him. She may have a frozen heart, but it pumps mainly for Henry, I think. She genuinely loves her son and doesn’t think of him as an adoptive son, she thinks of him as her son.

What’s her relationship like with Maleficent (Kristin Bauer)?

I think Maleficent, for the Queen, is almost like a big sister. She’s taught her some tricks. And they’ve probably created curses and spells together. But when she goes to visit her, it’s not necessarily coming from a friendly place. She needs something from her.

This season, Snow White gets a gal pal in Cinderella (Jessy Schram). Will the Evil Queen have girlfriends?

I’m hoping Kristin comes back as Maleficent, or to Storybrooke, where she can be one of Regina’s friends. Regina does have one friend in Storybrooke that’s connected to the John Doe (Josh Dallas) character. Someone you haven’t met.

We hear that when John Doe finally comes out of his coma, Regina will be right there to help him.

Regina helps him get back to his life before he fell into a coma. And there’s always an ulterior motive. It’s always some control or power that she’s afraid to lose. There’s a lot of set-ups with her, but how much of it is real, we don’t know. Remember, it’s the writers of Lost. This can go in any direction.

http://www.wetpaint.com/network/articles/o...regina-spoilers

thanks to http://inglouriousxx.tumblr.com/post/12335...als-regina-evil

8. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Tonight on Once Upon A Time: Snow White & Prince Charming’s Origin Story

Written By Clarissa

Last week’s new episode of Once Upon a Time gave us a deeper look at the Evil Queen and the origin of her curse, although we’re still not yet sure exactly how her relationship with Snow White became so fractured. Tonight’s episode will show us the very first meeting between Snow White and Prince Charming in the fairytale world. In Storybrooke, Henry will convince Emma and Mary Margaret that Mary should read to John Doe from the book of fairytales in order to get through to him. Will it have the desired effect? You’ll have to tune in tonight to see.

When we visited the set of Once Upon a Time last month in Vancouver, we had the opportunity to chat with stars Gennifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas about Snow and Charming’s first meeting. Be warned, their first meeting is not the stuff of fairytale legends. Dallas explained that their first encounter shows us a glimpse of Snow before her life with the seven dwarves, while we’ll see the Prince at a different moment in his life. Goodwin said that their meeting is “unexpected”. “I was really excited to tackle the inception of their story because it is based, I think, more on animosity, manipulation and selfishness and they have a very far way to go from their moment of meeting to falling in love...There can be love at first sight and you can still find that there is a lot of animosity, manipulation and selfishness. [Especially] when you have two strong people who want what they want.”

Despite their rocky start, Dallas assured us that “There’s definitely this huge attraction when they first meet” and hinted that we’ll find out how exactly he got the name “Charming”.

Dallas and Goodwin are having a ball playing these characters. When we first saw Snow White in the pilot, we could see she was no shrinking violet as she wielded a sword when the Evil Queen crashed her wedding, and Goodwin is ecstatic about playing this strong-willed version of Snow White: “I love that we have found a way, I feel, to justify what we know of Snow White in how Disney represents her and how the Grimms represent her and how a million different authors and storytellers have represented her. But we’ve still been able to hand her a sword and have it work.” Snow might not be a warrior or a professional fighter like the Prince, but “she has been through so much that she has found self-reliance [and] self-sufficiency and strength to protect herself and protect the people she loves.”

Dallas, meanwhile, tries not to crumble under the pressure of playing such an iconic fairytale role as a gallant prince. “If I thought about being Prince Charming...the pressure is too great. You have to think of him as man in the situation he is in. Charming is just a name that he has and he has this epic love for Snow. That’s what you have to play as opposed to saying ‘I’m going to play Prince Charming today’.” Dallas stresses that Charming is certainly handy with the sword and good with charming ladies, but Once Upon A Time’s writers have not made him a typical Disney prince. “[He doesn’t just] swoop in out of nowhere, kisses the girl and saves everyone and then he’s gone. He's a man of substance. He does have this epic true love for Snow. But he’s still a prince. He has a kingdom to run. He has someone who’s threatening his family that he needs to take care of. I look at him as an everyman. He’s a prince that gets his hands dirty…he’s a man of the people.”

once upon a time abcBack in the real world of Storybrooke, Mary Margaret and John Doe are about as far as you can get from their fairytale counterparts. Mary Margaret is a lovely woman, but doesn’t yet possess Snow’s strong will. Goodwin told us that “Mary Margaret has not found herself yet. But she is feeling the sparks of something she can’t really quite put her finger on. She knows she’s having these urges to finally stand up to Regina. She’s not quite able to follow through but something is being kindled in her and she assumes that it’s the influence of Emma.”

Speaking of Emma, tonight’s episode marks the beginning of a deeper friendship between these two women. Executive Producer Steven Pearlman said that while Henry keeps trying to tell Emma that Mary Margaret is technically her mother, the idea of inconceivable to Emma. “That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to Emma, because how can this woman, who is her contemporary, be her mother? We follow, over the course of the first batch of episodes, this growing friendship between Emma and Mary. There are a number of scenes where the underlying tension, if you will, from Emma’s perspective is ‘is she my mother?’. It adds a whole layer of tension and interest.”

Jennifer Morrison explains that while their relationship grows, there’s still confusion on Emma’s part because “Emma can be so strong in any circumstance and handle herself in any circumstance and has been through so much. But Mary Margaret is the first person she’s come across who is so authentically kind that it’s disarming, because she doesn’t seem to want anything back. Emma doesn’t know how to function with someone that genuine. She’s never come across it in her life. And she has a lot of trouble accepting the fact that she doesn’t have ulterior motives or she doesn’t want to hurt [Emma] in any way.”

As for Mary Margaret and John Doe’s relationship in Storybrooke, you’ll just have to see how it progresses. But Steven Pearlman understands the desire of the romantic fan for these two characters to be together in the real world. He explains that the the writers are building and escalating the story of these two characters, but warns that there are some interesting twists about what happens to them in the real world. Of course, John Doe needs to open his eyes for that to begin, so we’ll just need to wait and see when that happens.

Below are four sneak peeks for tonight's new episode of Once Upon a Time, airing at 8:00 p.m. ET on ABC. You can also view a trailer and browse through episode photos here.

http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/abc/once-upon...ak-peeks/102993

9. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon A Time - Chapter Three: Hope is Awakened - Featurette #04

http://youtu.be/TI31ISpFFpQ

10. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon A Time - Chapter Four: Magic at a Price - Featurette #05

http://youtu.be/37A8xINYLXo

11. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon A Time - Preview + Interviews

http://youtu.be/4T-y3P_IWeU

12. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Lana Parrilla casts a spell in dual roles in ‘Once Upon a Time’

By Amy Amatangelo

She killed her own father and destroyed countless lives, but Lana Parrilla still feels the Evil Queen’s pain.

Parrilla stars as the dastardly monarch and as Regina, the mayor of Storybrooke, in ABC’s new hit “Once Upon a Time” (tonight at 8 on WCVB, Ch. 5). The network picked up the show for a full season after but two episodes had aired.

“If I really think about the queen, there’s a reason why she’s evil,” Parrilla told the Herald last week from the show’s set. “So, as an actor, when I analyze the origin of her pain and where it derives from, I’m not being evil for the sake of being evil. I’m not killing anyone for the sake of just killing them. There’s a reason behind it. She’s revengeful because she’s been betrayed.”

Regina has an adopted son Henry (Jared Gilmore), who is actually the grandson of Snow White and Prince Charming.

“Playing Regina, what I always keep in mind is this love for Henry,” the Brooklyn, N.Y., native said. “This fight for her son. I know she’s an adopted mother, but I can’t think of it that way. Henry is her son. She’s raised him. She’s mothered him for 10 years. In my mind, and I think in any adopted mother’s mind, there’s no difference.”

Regina’s reign of terror is being threatened now that Henry has brought his birth mother Emma (Jennifer Morrison), the only person who can break the Evil Queen’s spell, to Storybrooke.

“At this point, does she know that Emma can break the curse, I don’t think so,” Parrilla said. “But things have changed in Storybrooke. People are starting to remember. That’s a major threat in itself. When someone is in power for 28 years and she’s used to things operating a certain way — how people treat her, how people speak to her, how they just do what she says — and then something shifts? She’s a bit thrown by it all.”

Parrilla described tonight’s episode, which finds Cinderella (guest star Jessy Schram) making a deal with Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle), as sinister. Upcoming episodes will explore the origins of Jiminy Cricket (Raphael Sbarge) and other fairy tale characters.

“We’re going to be alternating between light and dark episodes,” she said.

Inspired by her aunt, character actress Candice Azzara (“Caroline in the City”), Parrilla, 34, has been studying to be an actress since she was 16. She starred in such shows as “Boomtown,” “Swingtown” and last season’s “Miami Medical.” “Once Upon a Time” is her seventh series.

“I don’t look at any of my shows as a failure,” she said. “I’ve worked with incredible people, very interesting people, and I’m grateful. I keep going because I love what I do. I love the craft. I love the art of acting. I love rehearsals. I don’t see myself giving up, ever. If any of the shows would have gone for a number of years, I wouldn’t be playing these two powerful characters now.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/...e_upon_a_timeb/

13. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Raphael Sbarge Q&A: Fan encounters, Mass Effect and Once Upon a Time

Raphael Sbarge fields more questions from fans about Mass Effect and Once Upon a Time.

Hey, this is Raphael Sbarge, aka Kaidan. Hi. Happy almost Thanksgiving.

I had a couple of questions from some people, and I wanted to answer them. At least, to the best of my ability.

Laura asks: What is the weirdest encounter I’ve ever had with a fan?

You know, I had a really funny situation where I was at a convention, and I was brought in to, you know, sign pictures and meet people, etc. A friend of mine said, “Oh, someone I know wants to come over.” I said “Oh, great. I’ll meet him.”

So he comes over, and he says, “Yeah. Oh my God,” he said. “I love the game, it’s so great, I love the character, etc., etc.” He said, “A friend of mine, though, he would just die if he knew that I was here.” I said, “Well, let’s call him. Let’s call him on the phone.” So he says, “Oh, my God, that would be incredible. Let’s call him on the phone.”

So he dials him and it starts to ring. What happens is, it goes to voicemail. He says, “Oh, thank God, I’m so happy that I can actually leave this message, and he’ll be able to play it back.” So I say, “OK. What’s his name?” He says, “His name’s Shepard.”

I said, “You’re kidding.” He said, “No, really, his name is Shepard.” I said, “That’s wild. OK.” So I left the message:

Shepard. It’s Kaidan. We have a mission. We’ve gotta get there. I’m counting on you. Get there as fast as you can.

Something like that. It was very funny, and we both laughed. And he said, “Oh my God, he’s going to die once he plays that message.” I thought it was pretty funny; of all the people, of all the names anyone could have. I thought that was pretty funny.

Moonshadow_N7: Are there some anecdotes you could share about the voice recording? What are your favourite moments in the series?

You know, my anecdotes … it’s an interesting process because generally … we have evolved this character. When we first did it, years ago now, for Mass Effect 1, we came in, we spent a lot of time trying to really sort of define what the tone of the show was, that is the tone of these characters, the tone of this game. They were saying to us, “Mass Effect is gonna be unlike any other game that’s been played. It’s gonna have a level of reality, there’s gonna be sort of a distinction in the way in which it’s put together, and the drawing and the graphics that are gonna feel like a movie. So we really want performances that match a movie performance.”

So we spent a lot of time trying to get that right balance, and to get that right level of something that seemed military, and yet also strong and direct. And try and make it seem like, also we were obviously interacting with the player. We had a very particular director who worked with us on Mass Effect 1 and 2 that did really help kind of find that – her name is Ginny McSwain, great gal. We would sometimes do things over and over and over and over again.

But you’re all alone in a room, essentially, you and a microphone and your imagination. So you get to kind of go places in your head, as it were. Sometimes it can be a little grueling – ‘cause you’re just there, you know, doing one line here, one line there, one line here, one line there, and sometimes there’s not even time for them to explain, essentially, everything that’s going on in the game. And of course, I haven’t seen the game, because I haven’t played it, because it hasn’t been released yet. So that’s the interesting thing is, you’re sort of working off what you would imagine it to be, but not necessarily what you know. So it’s a funny thing when you think about it: What you hear, we did way, way before we ever saw anything.

The favorite moments in the series? Really, honestly, my favorite moments are sort of the more intimate moments, with the Shepard character. The reason why they’re my favorite moments is because it’s the opportunity for us to kind of really explore deeper, more complex feelings. Things that are not necessarily about just screaming and yelling and shooting and running. I mean, all that’s fun – it’s a blast. Literally. Pun unintended. But it is the more intimate moments, that some of the love interactions are great. Are great. It’s just really fun to play, and the writing has been so wonderful.

Gaz: How did I get the role of Archie or Jiminy? Was it an audition process?

Yes. They were casting for a new pilot. Pilots essentially are one version of the show, which they use to essentially show to the network to say, “Hey. We could make a whole series of this.” If it works out well, they like it, then they pick it up, then they turn it into a series.

I went in and auditioned for it the first time, and it went well and I left. And they chased me out the door and they said, “Can you come back in and do something else?” And I said, “Sure!” I did something else, and I was in the room with the producers – Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis, who are the writers and the executive producers. They also wrote the movie Tron; they’ve got their, I guess their animated series now of Tron; and they were writers on Lost, and they’re very talented guys.

Anyway, they were in the room; the director was in Vancouver and I was on tape. And after I left, they said, “OK. Looks like if they don’t go with a minority for the role, meaning, someone black, Latino or Asian, looks like they’re very interested.” And then they said, “Well, they may go with a celebrity.” And then they said, “Nope, I think they’re still going to come to you.” And then finally, they just came and said, “OK, we want you to do the role.”

It isn’t always that simple; it’s sometimes much more complicated. They really knew what they wanted, and as a result this audition process was relatively less painful than some – than many, frankly. I’m just very grateful to be on such a wonderful show.

Toni Farrice: How do I feel about all the attention about Once Upon a Time?

The way I feel about it is, to be quite honest, at first I didn’t quite know what to do about the fact that the show was a hit. I’ve been an actor for a long time, and you know, you as an actor become very acquainted with – I wanna say, disappointment. And understanding that there are a lot of opportunities that come along that don’t necessarily always work out.

And because of that, anyway, our bodies are kind of trained to expect essentially things to go a little sideways. And when this suddenly became what was essentially communicated to me as, “This is an unqualified hit,” I didn’t really quite know what to do with it. I still don’t quite … I’m not able to quite grok it all the way. Meaning understand it, get the entire muffin in my mouth. I’m still sort of in process with it, but I’m very grateful and so proud to be a part of such an amazing company of other actors. The actors are really, just, tight. Like an all-star team. It’s really thrilling working with them — in addition to that, all the other departments: the hair and the makeup, and the camera and the production side and the costumes are so top-notch that I just feel like … right now, I sort of feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

On that note, thank you so much for your questions. It’s such a pleasure to be able to kind of reach out. I have a Thanksgiving gift, or surprise, I should say, coming that I guess some people have asked for. I guess look for it on Thanksgiving. All right. Have a good one. Bye.

http://fangeek.com/2011/11/23/raphael-sbar...on-a-time-qa-4/

14. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

November 25, 2011 06:47 AM PST

Once Upon a Time: Scoop on Jiminy Cricket's Journey, Red Riding Hood and a Big 'Loss'

Matt Webb Mitovich
    Did someone wish upon a star? Because ABC’s Once Upon a Time is back with new episodes this Sunday at 8/7c, and this time around the series is going to dive deep into Archie’s backstory – that is, the origin of Jiminy Cricket – by literally burrowing beneath the surface of Storybrooke. Here, we have a Q&A with Raphael Sbarge (who plays Archie) as well as some bonus scoop on Ruby/Red Riding Hood and a big loss coming in the winter finale (airing Dec. 11).

TVLINE | You’ve previously done a lot of straight drama, including 24 and Prison Break, as have Lana Parrilla (Regina/Evil Queen), Robert Carlyle (Mr. Gold/Rumplestiltskin)…. What drew actors such as you to this slightly off-center material?
    Look, at heart every actor fancies himself a storyteller and hopes for that opportunity to be a part of a good story. And every actor who read this pilot said they fell completely in love with the story and the characters and the opportunity to kind of tell two stories – in a fantasy world and in a modern world. To then counterpoint them is just an actor’s dream. Before this show aired, I found myself trying to explain it to people and their eyes would glaze over, but I keep saying, “You’ve got to watch it!”

TVLINE | I found myself doing the same.
    What’s so thrilling is that in the execution they’ve done something quite magical. I was equating it early on to Harry Potter or The Princess Bride, where there’s a magical quotient to the storytelling that is done in a very heartfelt and untreacly kind of way. I’ve watched now the first season of Lost, and this is sort of from that handbook, where they take a couple of characters and go out in the jungle with a suitcase and do a deep dive into who those people are, and then pull back and have everyone else there. It’s sort of a novel in a way, or a wonderful short story.

TVLINE | What’s going on in this week’s episode?
    Essentially Sheriff Graham makes Emma a deputy, and then this sinkhole appears in town. Henry goes to try and figure out what’s in the sinkhole, knowing in his heart that there’s a clue about the other [fairy tale] world. Archie, being his therapist, is very concerned and follows him, and a journey ensues. What we also then do get a chance to learn about how Jiminy Cricket came to be.

TVLINE | I understand that Jiminy Cricket wants to “leave the family business.” What is the family business?
    I’m not allowed to actually say what it is, because it will give some things away. But what they carved out is akin to the way [mythologist/writer] Joseph Campbell would talk about “a hero’s journey.” Jiminy Cricket wasn’t just a noble guy because he said so. What you get to see on this trip are the fire rings he had to walk through to get to a place where he could evolve to develop a sense of doing the right thing.

TVLINE | And he’s a human in this backstory, because I see two or three younger actors playing you at different ages.
    Right, there are two other actors, and then there’s me, and then that evolves into Archie.

TVLINE | I’m not familiar with Jiminy Cricket lore, but I assume we’ll see how he became a bug?
    That specific moment is actually captured on film, yes.

TVLINE | Why do you think Archie was fashioned as a child psychiatrist? Is it because Pinocchio in a way had Jiminy Cricket’s ear?
    It’s interesting, because you’ve got a character named Jiminy Cricket and he’s a conscience – what the heck would he do in a modern way? Having him be a therapist was inspired, because in a world that is fraught with shades of grey, what a therapist does is sit with you one-by-one and essentially help you decide what doing the right thing is. He tries to help you find what your path is, without any judgment or any imposition of a particular philosophy. Obviously it has huge echoes to Pinocchio and Jiminy Cricket in the original [1940] movie. In the original book, Jiminy Cricket was a ghost and didn’t really speak at all, but Walt [Disney], when he saw the first screenplay, wanted to bring the character to the foreground and make him more central to Pinocchio’s journey.

TVLINE | Is there a Pinocchio in Storybrooke? Is he someone’s mailbox or something…?
    [Laughs] Well, we saw Geppetto in the pilot [in the jailhouse scene], but I’m not sure about Pinocchio yet. I can’t answer that question. But they are trying to tell these stories and reinvent them.

Once Upon a Time Bonus Scoop:

IN THE HOOD | Viewers this week will get another taste of Storybrooke’s Ruby, who thus far, save for some scenes in the Cinderella episode, has remained a mystery. “What you see is what you get with her,” teases Meghan Ory, who plays the diner waitress and her fairy tale counterpart, Red Riding Hood. As for Ruby’s tendency to dress and act in a way that draws attention — including, as we saw, from the doc played by David Anders — she says, “Yeah, you see little glances exchanged here and there. She might be a little bit in heat!” But will Ruby at some point cross a line and bait the wrong kind of creature? “I sure hope so!” says the actress. “I hope there’s a Big Bad Wolf in the near future.” Until things get hairy for the lass, TVLine hears that during an Episode 10 flashback, we’ll get a hint of Red’s past — specifically how it involves Snow White.

CLIFFHANGERS COMING | Two weeks from Sunday, Once Upon a Time will air its winter finale, and according to the synopsis from ABC, “Storybrooke mourns the loss of one of their own.” Asked to tease that twist, Ory at first quipped with a laugh, “Maybe Granny’s Diner closes down?” Pressed further, she was quite mum, explaining, “I know you want to know things but it would be like showing you your Christmas presents early!” She then allowed this much: “Let’s just say that it will be a very, very memorable episode. There are lots of cliffhangers, and it’ll be a good teaser to get you wanting to come back when we start [Season 1] up again in January.”

www.tvline.com/2011/11/once-upon-a-time-episode-5-preview/

15. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time Exclusive: Jane Espenson on the "Triumph of True Love"

November 25th, 2011 8:47 AM by Matt Richenthal

Can true love triumph over all? It's a heavy question, but it's one Jane Espenson tackles in both of her latest project: the hit ABC drama Once Upon a Time and the Web program Husbands.

In the following exclusive interview, the writer/producer tells TV Fanatic about this Sunday's new episode; casting for the series; and what other familiar faces will soon stop by Storybrooke...

What can you tell us about "That Still Small Voice?"
    This episode is about Jiminy Cricket – about his life in Fairy Tale Land, and his new life as Archie the therapist in Storybrooke. The fairy tale side of the story breaks some new ground in the area of cricket backstories. It’s really an origin story, in fact, as we see him laying the ground toward becoming a conscience. I LOVED writing this episode – who gets to write for Jiminy Cricket? This is one of the marvelous things about writing on a Disney show... you get to refer not just to the original stories, but also to the childhood-fave Disney movies.

Where did the inspiration for the series come from? Why fairy tales?
    The series was created by Executive Producers Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. This is an idea they had before they started working on Lost, that they had never forgotten about. I believe they would talk about the power of these familiar stories, especially during hard times.

Did one specific fairy tale stand out for you as a child?
    Strangely, I remember the illustration for a fairy tale called Snow White and Rose Red that showed characters vomiting up frogs – I used to get the book out just to look at the picture. In researching for the show, I recently read the story and it was not familiar at all. I suspect that I was both fascinated and repelled by the image and actually never read the story at all. In terms of the classic movies, I loved Snow White and Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, but probably was MOST fond of 101 Dalmations, Lady and the Tramp, and The Aristocats. Loved the animal ones.

Everyone is so perfect in his/her role. Can you talk about the casting process? Did you have certain actors or actresses in mind for certain roles?
    The main casting was done for the pilot, before the writing staff was hired. So I had no input on that. But on individual episodes I will sometimes watch an audition tape and give an opinion, and of course we all throw around names when we’re creating roles in the room. In my Jiminy episode, the plum roles are those of Jiminy’s mother and father and we talked about a LOT of great classic comedy actors for those roles. y the way, we ended up with Buffy alum Harry Groener as Jiminy’s dad and he’s amazing. Watch for him on Sunday.

You film a lot with CGI. You transition from one world to the next. What's the most challenging aspect of this kind of series?
    From my point of view, it’s the storytelling. We spend a lot of time talking about how the fairy tale flashback relates to the Storybrooke story. We want them to resonate with each other, without feeling like we’re telling the same story twice. And most of the characters can’t remember their fairy tale pasts, so the connection can’t usually be about someone thinking about a lesson they learned in the past. It’s challenging, but there’s something really satisfying when it comes together. I work with an amazing staff who are so good at finding those connections.

You've worked a lot with Joss Whedon (Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Dollhouse). What are the best and worst parts about working on a Joss Whedon project? What keeps you coming back for more?
    The best part is undoubtedly working with – and learning from – Joss. He is a true genius. I would work for or with him any time he wants. He is amazing. The worst part? It was frustrating watching Firefly and Dollhouse both end too soon.

Why did you decide to do a Web series? And why Husbands? From where did that idea originate?
    The idea came first. I wasn’t looking to do a Web series, although I’ve written webisodes before and loved it. My friend Brad Bell (aka Cheeks) had an idea, and we developed it into the classic-with-a-twist idea behind Husbands. The idea is that a marriage equality law has passed and a young couple find themselves drunk-married before they’re ready. They decide to make a go of it – it’s sweet and romantic and really really funny. It just was so clearly an idea that deserved to be made, and a web series was the fastest, best way to bring it to fruition right away and without us having to make any compromises. We found a director (Desperate Housewives’ Jeff Greenstein), a crew (led by producer M. Elizabeth Hughes), a cast (Cheeks, Sean Hemeon, Alessandra Torresani)... and we just shot it!

Will there be a second season of Husbands?
    I feel really confident that there will be more content, yes. We don’t know where or in what form or under what banner, but yes, we want to make more! Right now, we’ll be helped by people watching and rewatching so that we can point to the view count as evidence that viewers are ready for this kind of content. The series lives HERE.

What else can you tease about what's to come this season on Once Upon a Time?
    Oh, so much good stuff! Look to see Belle, in our take on Beauty and the Beast, which I wrote and am so proud of. And you might see a little Hansel and a bit of Gretel. And we will keep coming back to Snow White and Charming – their story has so many twists and turns, you’re going to want to watch for that. Will true love find a way? Actually, that’s kind of a theme for me right now – Husbands and Once – both are about the Triumph of True Love. Awww!

www.tvfanatic.com/2011/11/once-upon.../#ixzz1ejidn5Nc

137 replies since 18/10/2011, 20:57   6830 views