Once Upon a Time: Interview to Cast & Crew

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    @joshdallas
    I'm going to be Live Tweeting during the East and West Coast airings of #OnceUponATime on Dec 4th. Stay tuned for details.
    8 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

https://twitter.com/joshdallas/status/141046257572515840

2. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

Raphael Sbarge 'interested in Once Upon a Time future'

Raphael Sbarge has opened up about the future of Once Upon a Time.

The actor plays Archie Hopper - aka Jiminy Cricket - on the ABC series. He revealed that he knows little about future episodes of the show, admitting that information about the upcoming instalments is kept "pretty tight" on set.

He went on to say that he looks forward to learning the identity of Emma Swan's (Jennifer Morrison) fairytale land persona.
    "Essentially, I don't [know]," Sbarge told The Hollywood Reporter. "It's not clear yet.
    "We know obviously that she was a little girl put into safety in the canoe or whatever that was made of wood. We know that she's 28. She has come back and obviously she's there to help fight the curse. That's what we know."

He concluded: "It's going to be interesting to see how that opens up. What her fairy tale character is, I don't know yet and I'm really excited to see what they're going to do with that."
    Sbarge recently revealed that his character's upcoming storyline made him cry, saying that the story arc devised by the show's writers "knocked [him] out".
    The actor previously predicted that there will be an "epic battle" in the show, though he does not know when the showdown will occur.

Once Upon a Time airs on Sundays at 8/7c on ABC

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s181/once...ime-future.html

3. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon A Time - Chapter Five: The Wish Upon a Star - Featurette #06

http://youtu.be/WeXrIzRtJKY

4. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time's Hot Hipster Sheriff Jamie Dornan Teases Sunday's Big Reveal

9 dicembre 2011 - 10:01 da Tierney Bricker

Confession: We here at Team WWK love ABC's Once Upon a Time. This is a full-blown, change-our-relationship-status-on-Facebook kind of love affair.

One of our favorite parts of the fantastical drama? Why, the well-vested and ruggedly handsome Sheriff Graham, played by Jamie Dornan, of course! Luckily for you (and us), we chatted with the very charming actor, who spilled on Sunday's Sheriff-centric episode and the reveal of his much-debated fairy-tale counterpart. Plus, Emma or Regina?

igning on to the show was pretty much a no-brainer for Dornan. Hello, have you seen his character's endless collection of vests? "I mean, that's why actors pick their roles, obviously, just because of the costume," he jokes.

Awesome vest jokes aside, Dornan says he immediately knew he wanted to be a part of OUAT. "Look, I was just going through pilot season, and you know, you read so much sh-t," he bluntly tells us. "So much of it is repetitive and you've seen that show a thousand times. You get sort of tired of hearing about it. Once Upon a Time really stood out. It was the show that everyone was talking about, that all my agents were going mad over and that seemed like a definite go."

Added bonus? Dornan is a huge Lost fan (swoon!), whose EPs Adam Horowitz and Eddie Kitsis created OUAT.

"The chances are that if they're involved in something, it's going to be something that you're going to want to be involved in," he explains. "I was just such a fan of Lost, so they didn't have to explain who they were. You just get involved like any other TV show and just hope. But it was the one that I thought, 'This is different and this will grab people,' because there's no one in the world that doesn't like fairy tales."

The Big Bad Wolf, the Huntsman, Robin Hood...chances are you've thought Graham's identity in the fairy-tale world was at least one of these characters, if not many others. Dornan says it "is kind of fun" knowing that the show's fan base has spent the last two months speculating who his fairy-tale counterpart is. "It's a cool way to keep the audience guessing and to be the source of that sort of wonder is quite cool."

Obviously, fans are getting the answer in Sunday's episode, where Dornan finally takes center stage. Though he's "worried that the title of episode seven ['The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter'] has sort of released it in a way," Dornan says, "I think fans will be a bit pleased that he is something a little bit different and controversial."

Aside from seeing Dornan get his fairy tale on, many fans have been patiently waiting for Graham and Emma (Jennifer Morrison) to get together, and they'll finally get to see their first kiss this week. But are the Sheriff's feelings for his new deputy real or all part of Regina's (Lana Parrilla) master plan? "I think they're real," Dornan simply says. "I think he relates to her on a different level than he has related to anyone else. Everyone else is kind of stuck in that time, and every time he talks to her [he wants to] know more. He's genuinely attracted to her."

He adds: "Emma is the first person to come along that has made him start to question his relationship with Regina, and he's actually starting to [ask himself] what drives him to it and that he just does it," Dornan teases. "He just wants to feel something, and Emma is his opportunity to feel that."

MORE: Glee Casting Update: Pitbull as Santana's Brother! Plus, Rachel's Dads

Speaking of Graham's relationship with Regina, we couldn't help but ask—on behalf of the fans, of course—why the hell he's hooking up with her. "I think in Storybrooke you're not really spoilt for choice when it comes to relationships," he says. "You sort of take what you can get. You know, the mayor is single, she's attractive and she's powerful." Translation: Stop trying to salt his game, people!

And before you yell at us in the comments, yes, we did inform Dornan of the nickname some fans have given Graham. Modest as ever (seriously, the dude does not give himself enough credit), Dornan guessed it was "a--hole," before we gave in and told him he's known as hot hipster Sheriff. After a long laugh, he says, "That's good!" Yes, we're pretty sure it beats a--hole, too.

Once Upon a Time airs Sundays at 8 p.m. on ABC.

Who do you think Graham is in the fairy-tale world? Are you excited to see some development in Graham and Emma's relationship? And finally, do you love Graham's obsession with vests as much as we do? Sound off in the comments, Oncers!

http://www.eonline.com/news/_i_Once_Upon_a...g_Reveal/278895

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time Shocker! The Dead Man Dishes on His Departure

12 dicembre 2011 - 09:14 da Tierney Bricker

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't watched last night's episode of Once Upon a Time, then get off the Internet…stat! The following article contains lots of spoilers, so run away if you haven't fired up your DVR yet!

It's always hard to say goodbye to a TV character that we just fell in love with, especially when there was so much potential. Is this really the end? Did they find another TV viewer prettier than us? Do you think that character is thinking of us right now?

Alas, Once Upon a Time killed off a beloved character last night, and we gotta say…it was heartbreaking. Get it? Anyway, we've got something to help with the pain: an exclusive interview with the man behind the dearly departed character, so head on in to hear his thoughts on being the first big death on OUAT. Trust us, it'll help you grieve…

RIP Sheriff Graham (Jamie Dornan), 2011-2011

Can we start this off with a moment of silence for the hottest TV sheriff who has ever sheriffed? Yes, we're talking about Once Upon a Time's Sheriff Graham, who became Regina's (Lana Parrilla) first casualty in Storybrooke (that we know of). While some fans predicted Graham would be the show's first big death, it was still heartbreaking to see the well-vested law enforcement hottie die from a broken heart...literally.

So was last night's doozy of an episode, arguably the series' best thus far, the last we've seen of Dornan on OUAT? Read our exclusive interview with Dornan, where he talks about his exit from the show and his concerns about taking on the role of the Hunstman, Graham's fairy-tale counterpart...

We have to tell you, we're pretty upset Sheriff Graham the show killed off one of our favorite characters. Did you know when you signed on to the series that he would be the first death?
    I did know. I knew when we started shooting for real. It makes it a quite odd experience because, obviously, I do feel a part of that family. I've been there since day one; the pilot and then the whole waiting for the series to get picked up. All through that, I didn't know at that stage, to be honest. Yeah, it came as a bit of a shock to me at the start, but then we still had all these episodes to shoot, so I definitely still wanted to be involved in the show.
    Was it weird going into the process knowing that you'd eventually be leaving?
    It was a strange thing because I've seriously bonded with these people. We're all stuck together for four months and you make proper friendships. The weird thing always weighing in the back of my mind was the episode was getting closer and closer. You start trying to adjust accordingly. I'm not sure if this will be the last you'll ever see of my face on the show, but it's certainly the last you'll see of Sheriff Graham.

So they've talked to you about possibly returning to the show as the Huntsman in the fairy-tale world?
    Yeah, that's been discussed definitely. I mean, my fairy-tale character doesn't die, so there's always that option. There's so much that can happen.

We know you're on Twitter—was it hard for you to keep Graham's death a secret after you wrapped?
    Well, that's the danger of Twitter, when Ginny [Goodwin], Jen Morrison, Josh Dallas are tweeting, like, "At a bar in Vancouver!" I thought about stockpiling a lot of pictures of all of us and then using them accordingly, like over the next two months, like, "Hey, here we are in Vancouver!" I'm just quieter on Twitter because people aren't that stupid, you know? They start to work out that there hasn't been a lot of chat about you. I haven't been in places where I need to keep it a big secret, like in London no one has a clue anyway. And with all my friends, because I'm back early, like five years early, they have an idea. [Laughs.]

Your fairy-tale counterpart was the source of a lot of speculation for fans of the show. Did you know from the beginning that you were the Huntsman or did you find out when you got the script for episode seven?
    I did know. Originally I was meant to be someone else, but that didn't end up happening because of rights or something like that. But I knew pretty early on. Not the very beginning, but pretty early on I got the idea from production. And the sooner you know the better because then you can start trying to somewhat play that into what you're doing with your Storybrooke character. I mean, [the Huntsman] is a cool role to play. My only thing is that Chris Hemsworth is playing the Huntsman [in Snow White and the Huntsman] and he looks like a proper man. I look like, you know, a woman in drag.

Hey, you have the scruff. That's important, too.
    [Laughs.] Yes, I have the scruff, but he has the testosterone and the general man-dom. I was watching a lot of pictures with him and his shirt off and with him holding his axe and I'm just a little bit concerned that I'm pathetic in comparison. But that's fine. That's something I have to deal with personally.

You don't give yourself enough credit! Backtracking a bit, are you allowed to say who Graham's fairy-tale counterpart was originally supposed to be?
    I don't know if I am, to be honest. He was pretty impressive, a guy that we all know who's been adapted many times before in film and television.

We're going with Robin Hood.
    You're probably right!

While we're not happy that he's gone, Graham's death was pretty cool. Regina squeezing his heart to death was awesome.
    It's pretty gruesome, but you know, it's a little bit cool. Not many people get to die like that. It's a bit cooler than getting shot in the arse or something. So as TV deaths go, I was pretty happy.

What did you think of Graham's exit from the show? Are you sad that, as Dornan said, last night's episode was the last we've seen of Graham? Are you hoping Dornan returns as the Hunstman for fairy-tale flashbacks? And finally: Who's the better Huntsman: Dornan or Hemsworth? Sound off in the comments!

http://it.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kris...4#ixzz1gLoHeSyR

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Reinventing Fairy Tales: An Interview with Once Upon a Time's Jane Espenson

Jane Espenson is well known to fans of the science fiction and fantasy television genre. A 20-year veteran television writer and producer, she has written for some of the best, including Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones, Torchwood. She is also the co-creator and executive producer of Husbands, viewable at http://husbandstheseries.com. Currently Ms. Espenson is a writer/producer for the new hit series Once Upon a Time, which airs Sunday nights on ABC.

She wrote the recently aired, “A Still Small Voice,” which explores Jiminy Cricket's (Raphael Sbarge) backstory, and she’s also written the upcoming “Desperate Souls.” I last interviewed Ms. Espenson just before the series premiered back in October, and she was kind enough to chat with me again, in advance of her latest episode, airing just after the show comes out of its brief winter hiatus.

I'm really excited to see your next episode, which, I understand reveals more about Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle).

Episode 8 is called "Desperate Souls," and it does reveal more about Rumple. Lots more. You'll learn about where he comes from and what drives him. It's also got a fun Storybrooke story where we see more of how Emma is going to fit into this wonderful insular strange little town.

In "That Still, Small Voice" we got a glimpse of Rumpelstiltskin (I have to find an easier-to-spell nickname for him) in his home. I think you learn an awful lot about a character by his (or her artifacts) and I love that the character is surrounded by shelves and shelves of books. What sorts of books are on those shelves, I wonder?

Try "Rumple." And yes, he has lots of books. Full of spells and secrets, and, I would guess, a lot of names. This is man to whom names are very important. Even more than to Santa.

In "Still Small Voice," Geppetto's parents (rather, the carved puppets they became) are sitting in Mr. Gold's pawn shop. There are, in fact, lots of interesting looking items in there, do most of those items have potential significance in future stories? Is the pawn shop a hotbed of clues?

Well, I think it's worth keeping an eye on what's there. Sometimes it'll be a nod to something you saw in the pilot (like the glass unicorns from baby Emma's mobile) and sometimes you will see something that will be important later. Our show has an amazing production design team that's great at keeping track of things like mystical objects, whether we indicate them in the script or not.

I read a poll the other day on some fansite, and interestingly Rumpelstiltskin was far in the lead as favorite character. He's certainly my favorite character, but I'm not sure why that is. I don't usually find myself drawn to "villains," but is Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold a real villain? After all, he did bring Henry to Storybrooke (and helped Snow White and the Prince save their baby).

We are fortunate to have two amazing villains in The Evil Queen/Regina and Rumple. And I really love how both of them can justify their own actions. Regina has a yet-to-be-revealed beef against Snow, and you're going to learn a lot more about the source of Rumple's dark energy soon. And, yes, you're onto something. Rumple's agenda is very complex. Look not just to episode 8, but to episode 12 and beyond to learn more about it. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's evil or not.

You probably won't tell me, but I have to ask: how much does Mr. Gold actually know about the curse?

Regina retains all her memories. Mr. Gold certainly seems to know something, but we won't be telling you more than that for a while.

As That Still Small Voice unfolded, Jiminy eventually found his real voice, perhaps his true self. Would that have happened had Emma not come to Storybrooke? Is this sort of self-discovery part of the curse's unraveling, like a small piece of an elaborate jigsaw puzzle put into place?

If Emma had not come to Storybrooke, the town would have continued in its "frozen" state of repeated non-progress. Henry had presumably tried to change things without much success. Emma's arrival is changing everything, and so, yes, Archie's change was only possible because she was there.

The series is a big hit, ABC's success story of the season. Is there a concern at all about revealing too much too soon about the characters or the overall story? Is there an overall narrative arc all planned out to bring the series to an eventual like a novel?

We have a lot of stuff worked out in advance. I like the way our showrunners Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz are making sure these characters are complex enough that we can keep going back into their stories and finding new rich episodes within them.

We have so far been introduced to Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Jiminy Cricket, Rumpelstiltskin the Dwarves, Geppetto, Evil Queen, Maleficent, Little Red Riding Hood…Is this the core of fairy tale characters, or are are more on the horizon? Who else will we meet from Fairy Tale Land?

There are MORE! Belle, Hansel & Gretel, and more.

Does the premise that these characters all inhabit same universe make your imagination run wild with ideas for how to create intriguing mash-ups and pairings? Which of the characters (who wouldn't ordinarily be in the same story) would you like to write (or plan on writing) into encounters either as allies or enemies?

Oh, yes, you've seized on something important there. We LOVE to cross these characters into each others' stories. So I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Evil Queen was involved in a story like Hansel and Gretel, for example. And we've recently learned that Jiminy became a cricket very early in our Fairy Tale timeline – he was around all those years while Geppetto aged. Where was he during those years? Who did he help?

I have to admit that the one thing that I'm not crazy about is that the Fairy Tale Characters all look like they've broken the fourth wall of their respective Disney animated films. I realize that ABC is owned by Disney, but what's the reasoning behind making that Disney connection?

Really? I love that! I love it when characters are recognizable – that jolt of recognition. If we're telling a totally new take on Cinderella, and the Cinderella in our land not only is doing different things than Cinderella, and doesn't look like or dress like Cinderella, then at a certain point it's kind of meaningless to say it's Cinderella. And I adore that we can write for characters like Gaston from Beauty and the Beast, who isn't part of the original story, but is an all-time favorite of mine. Being part of Disney gives us that opportunity that no one else would ever have – I think that makes us very lucky. And I'm so happy with the amount of access that we're being given to those characters... oh, and the music. When you hear our Grumpy whistle "heigh-ho," it's like... shivers!

Can you take me through the creative process on the series? How does it compare, say with Buffy or (more recently) working on Torchwood?

Torchwood was a very different process from everything else, since it functioned as a sort of hybrid version of the UK system – less room time, more one-on-one with the showrunner. Once is more similar to Buffy – we work in a writers' room figuring out the story, and then we take turns writing complete drafts that are then polished by Eddy and Adam. And, also like Buffy, we're being allowed to make the show that the guys envisioned. It's a very smooth and very productive process.

Does the fact that Once Upon a Time is on one of the "big three" networks (not to mention for Disney, ultimately) have an impact on any phase of the creative process for you?

Well, the budget's bigger, so the show looks amazing – I can't believe how gorgeous the dailies look. And we get eight days to shoot each episode, which also helps it look rich and full. But the biggest difference is just in public awareness. It's nice to be able to say the name of the show and have people recognize it. That didn't happen even at Buffy or Battlestar as much as you'd hope.

With Once Upon a Time being shot in Vancouver and you're being based in LA, do you get a chance to be on set during filming of your episodes?

No. Eddy and Adam go up fairly often, but the rest of us stay in Burbank. There is always something going on in the writers' room, so it's probably good that we're all in town, available to start work on figuring out that next story.

It’s fairly early in the series, but what do the actors bring to the process—do you write to their strengths? What is their input in the creative process, especially with the very established actors with which the show is blessed?

Our cast includes Ginny Goodwin, Jennifer Morrison, Lana Perilla, Robert Carlyle... how do you write to strengths where there aren't weaknesses? We really can give this cast anything and they'll make it sing. I have the impression that they're happy with the collaboration between writing and acting. I know we are!

I've been doing a lot of thinking lately about fandoms, social media and their effect on television series. Twitter (and to a lesser degree, Facebook) has opened up a conversation between fans and the series. For example, Once Upon a Time has used Twitter to directly connect the actors with fans via Twitter chats during episode broadcasts, which is great. It makes actors, writers, producers much more accessible to fans, also presenting the series creative team with immediate (and unfiltered) feedback—some constructive and nice, and some downright nasty. How do you think Twitter changed the nature of the relationship between a series and its fandom? Will we see (in general) more of this kind of interaction or is there a downside, do you think?

I have had only positive Twitter interactions with Once fans. (Follow me at @JaneEspenson.) They seem to love the show and they're asking all the right questions. I think there is a danger (not at Once, but in general) that we might start trying to cater to the viewers and writing to order instead of coming up with a story from our own hearts. I think the second course of action is more likely to lead to something truly inspired.

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/video/article/reinv.../#ixzz1gjxh2Vvg

7. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Get to Know the Enchanting Cast of ABC’s ONCE UPON A TIME

By Tiffany Vogt on October 23rd, 2011

In what is perhaps the most visually engaging and charming series of the Fall season, ONCE UPON A TIME invites viewers to enter a world where magic is real and fairytales come to life. As seen through the eyes of a young woman (Jennifer Morrison’s Emma Swan) who finds out that time has stood still in a small town and that she may be the key to solving the mystery behind it all, this delightful series takes viewers on a remarkable journey.

JENNIFER MORRISON
    What should we know about Emma Swan?
    JENNIFER: Emma is an incredibly damaged woman. As far as she knows, she was abandoned as a child and has lived in the foster system until she is old enough to take care of herself. I’ve actually been reading about children in the foster system and how even in the best circumstances, how hard it can be on kids — and a lot of times, it is not the best of circumstances. So she is someone who has seen a lot of violence. She is someone who has seen a lot of abuse. She is someone who has felt abandoned and alone for most of her life, and doesn’t really trust anyone and isn’t interested in trusting anyone. Which is why Henry is a fascinating appearance in her life and also everyone else in Storybrooke, because it is very disarming for her to be dealing with people who may actually be kind and not have ulterior motives? So I think particularly Mary Margaret is very disarming for Emma because she doesn’t seem to have an ulterior motive and seems determine to be kind and I don’t think Emma’s ever encountered that in her life. And it has a very odd effect on her. She is so used to keeping her guard up. Yet here is this woman who can immediately disarm her. Then also, she lives with a tremendous amount of guilt ’cause she gave up Henry. She did it believing that she was giving him a better life, and truly believe that. Here is this woman who was probably living on the streets to some degree when she had the child, so how selfish would it be to put a child through that lifestyle, in her mind. Then to find out that he’s finding her when he’s 10 years old and he’s not in a good situation is completely devastating and she is completely overrun with guilt. So you have a woman who is very lonely, very damaged and very intrigued.
    What is it like working with a child-actor like Jared Gilmore, who plays Emma’s son, Henry?
    JENNIFER: Jared is lovely and I’m so proud of him because he has grown so much just from since the pilot episode. Watching him, he really does love acting. He’s just one of those kids who truly loves it. He wants to be good at it. But just the sheer amount of work, it is just giving him the opportunity to grow so much, so quickly. And to see the confidence grow in him, and to see his ability to handle things on set, he has just grown drastically and it has been really fun to watch that, and to see how excited he is and the pleasure of working with him. The hard part is really the technical stuff. When you only have someone for 6-8 hours in a day and you have to work around getting as much as possible with him in it, it often ends up my work is with the script supervisor reading his lines. So there is that kind of weird extra technical element to have to remember the sensation of acting with him in order to recreate that scene with someone who isn’t him by the time we are actually shooting my coverage. But for Jared, it’s fun and he really enjoys it. Bless his little heart ’cause you can keep him later when he’s not in school, and we call it “pumpkining” — normally he is “pumpkining” at 10:00 p.m. and in the summer I think he “pumpkins” at 12:30 a.m. So the poor kid. He had all these lines and he just did it great every time, but you could just see that tired hit when it was 12:00 a.m. at night and it was like, “Oh my god, put the kid to bed! He’s 10 years old.” But he really does love it. He really just has so much fun with it. He’s a lift to everyone’s day.

JARED GILMORE AND RAPHAEL SBARGE
    Can you introduce yourselves and the character you play on the show?
    JARED: My name is Jared and I play Henry. Henry is sort of the character that holds the two worlds together. Meaning, he’s the only one in basically the whole world that knows that everyone in the town of Storybrooke, Maine is a fairytale character, but they just don’t know it. So it’s a pretty interesting world to play in when you’re the person that’s telling them, “Oh, you’re Jiminy Cricket” or “Oh, you’re Snow White,” or something. It’s quite fun.
    RAPHAEL: I’m Raphael Sbarge and I play two characters, Archie Hopper and Jiminy Cricket. I play both the voice of Jiminy Cricket, who is a CGI character, and I play Henry’s therapist — Dr. Archibald Hopper. The show is attempting to take these wonderful characters that we know and reinvent them — essentially to remake them. So I love the characters.
    Once you saw the finished pilot episode, what was the most startling or memorable moment that you recall seeing?
    JARED: The most startling moment for me — I liked the whole thing, but I think the most startling moment was seeing all the characters in both worlds — how they were in each side. It was kind of interesting seeing what they looked like in the fairytale world and in the real world.
    RAPHAEL: When I read the pilot, it was arguable everyone’s favorite pilot on the page, but I’ve been in those pilots and that can be the kiss of death. So you go, “oh, god, it’s a little ambitious to carry this off.” Carrying it off it a tall order, it’s almost a cinematic feature. Yet, what I was so excited about was, “oh, my goodness, it’s even better than what I thought it was going to be!” In terms of the special effects, the quality and also the acting throughout is so strong, and there is nothing pandering about the show — which I’m also so excited about. And the fact that the two worlds were so distinct. You really felt when you were in one world, you were really there. And then the music. Again, all the elements that went into this — I’m very excited about the show and the huge magnitude of possibilities of stories.

JOSH DALLAS
    Can you introduce yourself and your character on the show?
    JOSH: I’m Josh Dallas and I play Prince Charming.
    What was your first impression of the show?
    JOSH: It blew away all my expectations. Of course, I first read the pilot and as an actor, you just think “Wow! This is really interesting.” ‘Cause you just don’t read scripts like this very often. I think it’s something really unique and I think ABC is being very brave in doing something that as high-concept as this — we’re giving the audience something different on a Sunday night. I think that’s really important. I had the same reaction when I read the pilot. As an actor to be able to come in and play such an iconic character of Prince Charming, but to infuse it with things that we don’t know about him. So we’re going to find out more about this guy: his origins, where he comes from, what makes him this royal. Is he royal or not royal? What’s his real name? Is his real name Charming? It’s finding all this stuff out. And I think that is hugely exciting as actors that we get to kind of create this landscape that we don’t know about. I think in all the incarnations that we’ve seen Prince Charming, we don’t know much about him. We knew he comes in and saves the day, kisses the girl and that’s kind of it. Which is not a bad gig, but that’s what is so great about Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, the creators, that they have created characters that have levels to them.
    Were you wondering how exactly the written version would translate visually to the screen?
    JOSH: You certainly think, “Melding these two worlds, how’s that going to work?” Is the story-telling going to come across in a really clear and entertaining way? But Eddie and Adam come from the pedigree of LOST, and they are used to dealing with these huge landscapes of storytelling — epic storytelling — and I think that is exactly what this is and those guys are totally confident that it would come off the way that it read — and it came out even better.
    When you step into the Prince Charming costume, does it change everything about you in order transform you into this iconic character?
    JOSH: Yeah, of course. You walk differently. You hold yourself differently. I mean, you’ve got a sword attached to your side, so you feel like a bad-ass. All that kind of stuff helps you as an actor. You find a character externally in that kind of way, which always informs what’s going on internally, such as he is a prince that gets his hands dirty. He has a kingdom to run. He has this epic love, that is Snow White. And there’s someone that’s threatening his family, so he’s going to do what needs to do to make sure that nothing happens to them.

ROBERT CARLYLE
    Can you describe your character on the show?
    ROBERT: I’ve only done a couple of episodes, so I’m still kind of processing who he is. When this came up, I thought it kind of affected all my preconceived ideas of who Rumplestiltskin is. He’s a juicy character. I felt he was a bit theatrical and a bit heightened. I think what is interesting about the character is that he doesn’t just stay in the fantasy element and when you go into the real-world, he is still not exactly normal and is slightly off-balance. So it gives a real opportunity to have some fun with the character.
    He is the original Tempter, isn’t he?
    ROBERT: Yes, he is, in a way. But it’s all about honor with this character.
    Do you strive to make sure there are distinct differences between Rumplestiltskin and Mr. Gold?
    ROBERT: It’s hard work, to tell the truth. There’s a lot of voice work to differentiate them.
    How much will Mr. Gold be involved in the affairs of Storybrooke?
    ROBERT: He knows more than you think. Regina, the Evil Queen, knows perhaps more, but I think he’s more dangerous.
    Your character seems obsessed with names. Is that the source of his power, or is that just a tool he uses?
    ROBERT: Back in the days of Medieval times, if you could learn someone’s name, it was believed you could have power over them. People did not like to reveal their names. That’s generally where it came from. So names are almost the key to the soul.

www.thetvaddict.com/2011/10/23/once...ast-interviews/

8. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Spoiler Room special edition: 'Once Upon a Time' creators talk second half of the season (more deaths coming?)

by Sandra Gonzalez

To say Once Upon a Time has made a splash among viewers this year would be a gross understatement. The show’s enchanting characters, rich mythology, and heartbreakingly artful storytelling has cast a spell on many — not the least of which are readers of my Spoiler Room column.
    Last year, around the holidays, I treated you to a nice chat with Chuck creator Chris Fedak. This year, when trying to pick the subject of a special edition, the choice was simple.

Once Upon a Time closed out its first half with the death of a major character (RIP, Sheriff Graham), leaving us wondering how Emma and the town will cope without him. I couldn’t wait to find out what’s next, and judging by the pure volume of your questions, neither can you. So I hope you enjoy this chat with creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, where I pose many of the questions you all have been sending to me during the past couple of weeks. How will Emma react to the death of Graham? What will we see from Snow and Charming? And will there be more deaths? Read on for those answers and more.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So I have to start with the final haunting image of the last episode: Regina’s wall of hearts. How is that knowledge and visual going to launch us into the second half of the season?
    ADAM HOROWITZ: We’re going to launch into the second half of the season through the eyes of someone else, which is Mr. Gold and Rumpelstiltskin. We’re going to actually find out how Rumple became Rumple.
    EDWARD KITSIS: That said, the reveal of the vault is a very important thing for us in terms of moving forward in the season in that we wanted to send a very clear message that Regina knows what’s going on and has some very clear intentions in Storybrooke.

You also ended with the big death of Graham, which was terribly sad….
    AH: We were just as sad. I think we’re even more sad.
    EK: It’s funny. From the day the pilot was picked up, this was our plan for the character. It’s interesting, but part of the intent was to make you love him and we loved him very much. And the fact that the audience seems to have loved him means a lot to us, in that we feel like we succeeded on that front. If you don’t feel sad, then it was a failure of the execution of the story.
    Trust me: No failure here. And I’ll add to that: I was thrown off a little by the fact that we spent much of the last episode learning Graham’s fairy tale story. That investment made me feel that he was safe, which, obviously, he wasn’t.
    AH: That was all designed.

So in the next new episode (Jan. 8), are we going to see Emma’s reaction to his death and, not only that, but to him saying he “remembered” his life in Fairy Tale land?
    AH: I think sometimes these things have a different effect and they manifest themselves differently. I think the way Emma is going to react to it is going to be much more of an emotional reaction than a mythological reaction.
    EK: But Graham’s death hangs over the next episode in what we hope is a very deep way, and it reaches out and touches a lot of people in the town. And that’s what we explore in that episode.
    AH: Exactly. And the next episode picks up a few weeks after. It’s not literally the next day.

We saw in the preview that Emma is going to be fighting to be the next sheriff. How’s that going to play out?
    AH: Well, I think that is exactly — when you say “What’s her reaction to his death?” I think the thing she took away from episode 7 was that Graham died trying to free himself from the pocket of the mayor. Therefore, she’s not going to let that badge go to anyone but her. And I think the badge becomes her emotional connection to Graham. Emma is somebody who, in this stage of her life, has never had a home. She’s always gone from place to place and she’s always walled herself off from people because she doesn’t want to get hurt. So a situation like this sends her back more than it puts her forward because her walls come up.

I love that it becomes a symbol because that’s what so much of this first half has been about — Emma not understanding why the mayor has this incredible hold on people.
    EK: That’s exactly what the episode is about.

So is Rumple going to take a much more active role in the second half of the season.
    AH: He certainly steps forward in a bigger way than we’ve seen thus far — not just Rumple but Mr. Gold. Mr. Gold’s role in the town and his connection and effect on the characters around him is something that becomes a more important part of the show as we move forward.
    EK: And we’re excited to see much more of his story in Fairy Tale Land and as we do that, we start to get more of a peek into what’s going on in Storybrooke as well as in Fairy Tale Land. And a few more characters pop up — some we’ve seen before and some we haven’t.

I hear that Rumple has a surprising connection to a character we’re going to meet for the first time.
    AH and EK: Yes.
    AH: Keep watching. We don’t want to ruin any surprises.
    EK: It’s probably not that hard to figure out — for people who put a lot of thought into it and it they read the titles. But we have a really great mash-up with him coming up.
    AH: But what we can say is that the first batch of episode after we return in January, there are a whole lot of characters we explore — Rumple and Mr. Gold being the first. Then we also are going to be meeting Hansel and Gretel, and getting a look into the origin of the magic mirror, and meeting Belle from Beauty and the Beast. So we’re excited to see them and to see how they mash-up with our existing characters.

Are we going to learn more about why Rumple seems to know more than the other characters about the curse?
    AH: Absolutely. What he does or does not know about Storybrooke becomes very clear in the first bunch of episodes back.

Now, let’s jump to Dr. Whale because David Anders is great. What are we going to be seeing from him?
    AH: We love Anders. We have a little break from him, but he comes back after a bunch of episode in the second half of the season.
    EK: But who he is, is a big question.
    AH: And it’s a question we have an answer for. When we’re going to get to it, we can’t say quite yet.
    EK: But we’re definitely seeing more of Dr. Whale.

How is bringing Dr. Whale into Mary Margaret’s story a little bit — after their one night stand — going to effect what’s going on with her and David (Charming)?
    AH: It’s not just Dr. Whale. It’s the entire situation — a relationship that’s starting from a place of huge obstacles. We have two people who’ve had an immediate attraction to each other, but one is just coming out of a coma and is married and the other one is Snow White and doesn’t know it. There’s a lot they have to overcome and Dr. Whale is just part of it. But one of the big stories we’re telling this season is about this true love and about how it can overcome anything. That’s one of the hopeful messages we’re trying to send with the show.
    EK: There’s a big episode coming up for them.
    AH: Yes. After we come back, we have Rumple, then Hansel and Gretel, then we have a Snow and Charming story. … But their story continues in all the other episodes as well. We’re either checking in with them in Fairy Tale Land or Storybrooke.

Speaking of their obstacles. I know that Anastasia Griffith, who plays David’s wife on the show, just booked a role on a BBC series, Copper. Does that mean she’s not going to be around long or did that fit into your existing plans for her?
    AH: I think we already have a plan for her. Often there will be actors who work on other shows and ours ,so you end up working it out because you know enough in advance. Meghan Ory just did an episode of Supernatural. But we definitely have an arc for her. We’re going to get deeper in her story in the back half of the season.

So in sum, how is the back half of the season going to build upon what we’ve learned in the first half? Big picture-wise.
    AH: In Fairy Tale Land, what’s great is that we’re going to be able to tell different chapters of stories we’ve set up. And we’re going to dig deeper into the characters. And in Storybrooke, we have stories developing because you’re starting to care more about Henry and Emma and Regina and Mary Margaret and David. And we’re going to dive deeper into their world and highlight that stuff a little more.

Have we seen the last death this season? Or can we expect more carnage?
    AH: Boy, I don’t know. You never know. As Henry said to Emma in the pilot, the final battle will be begin. Unfortunately, with final battles, there are casualties.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/12/23/once-upon-a-time-scoop/

9. chandlerbing
        +1   -1

User deleted

Mi sembra di capire che gli autori abbiano le idee molto chiare su come sviluppare la storia e questo è un segnale molto positivo a mio parere...

10. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

EXCLUSIVE: 'Once Upon A Time' Star Lana Parrilla Reveals Her Favorite Fairy Tale Characters

By Lee Hernandez

Whenever she watched Snow White as a young girl, half-Puerto Rican actress Lana Parrilla always rooted for the evil queen. Now, the 34-year-old actress is making Snow’s life a living hell as the classic villain in ABC’s spellbinding new series, Once Upon A Time (premiering this Sunday, October 23 at 8/7c). Lana spoke exclusively to Latina.com about her new show (which we recently named one of the 5 Best New Shows of the Fall)!

Tell us about your Latin roots!

I’m half-Puerto Rican and half-Sicilian. My father was [Puerto Rican]. He [Major League Baseball player, Sam Parrilla] played for the Phillies and the Indians. He passed away when I was 16—I was very close to him. My parents separated when I was younger, but I was raised with both families. I ate all the arros con gandules and chuletas and pernil and on my mother’s side—all Italian cuisine. Arros con Gandules is my all-time favorite.

Tell us about your new show, Once Upon A Time!

It’s about a lost princess who’s trapped in an alternate world—who’s destined to save our world. It’s nice that you’ve got the Latina up in here! I’m happy that they hired me! [Laughs]

You play two seemingly evil characters in the show—the Evil Queen and Regina, the callous Town Mayor. Are they both completely evil?

I can answer for both characters. The Queen—yes, she is evil, hence her name. But there’s a pain that exists inside of her and that’s why she does the things that she does. She is extremely wounded. She’s not just like, ‘I want to hurt people for the sake of hurting people.’ She’s been hurt and now she’s getting back at everyone. And Regina, I mean—of course there’s a side of her that I think likes to fu** with people. {Laughs}. She’s a trip! Sometimes I think she’s a sociopath and sometimes I’m like, ‘well, no, she’s just a really overprotective mother.’ But I really think that she loves her son more than anything and she’s really trying to protect the relationship that she has with him. And when another person comes in to threaten that relationship—it’s not going to bring out the best side of her. She doesn’t want to lose him. So if you come from that place—which for me is more human—I can’t think of her as being so evil. I can think of her as doing evil acts—but it comes from a place of fear.

Did you read fairy tales as a child?

Yes, I did. I loved Hansel and Gretel—that was probably one of my favorites. Cinderella was a beautiful story for me. I never wanted to be Cinderella, but I just liked the story. But you know, I wasn’t ever into princesses. I’m not a princess. I never grew up with one and I don’t consider myself one. I’ve always liked villains and still find them much more interesting.

So it makes sense that you’re playing the evil queen!

Yeah, I know. {Laughs}.

Did you read Snow White as a kid?

Of course I did. But it wasn’t one of the ones I was drawn to as much. When I would watch the movie, it was kind of slow for me. But I loved the evil queen—every time the evil queen came on, I was like ‘OK!’ She was just so fascinating to me.

What is your dream role in Hollywood?

I feel like I’m really getting the great roles right now at this point in my career. But if I were to craft one on my own, I would continue down the path of these really strong women that seem really complex and layered and have strength to them. I’m learning more about myself from playing these roles. I’m like, ‘OK, well, what is it about me that I keep playing these women? I guess I have like this inner strength as well. I’m pretty bold in my expression and very daring in how I live my life. I think of Glenn Close a lot—she has the career that I would love to have. She plays these really complex characters but then she also has this sweet, beautiful side to he and is also very sexy in her own way. The characters I’m playing right now kind of fall in line with the roles that she’s had in her career. And I hope that one day I can achieve as much as she has.

http://www.latina.com/entertainment/tv/exc...ry-tale-charact

11. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Chapter Six - A Charming Prince

Chapter Six - A Charming Prince from repvid on Vimeo.

http://vimeo.com/34387214

12. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Watch My Show: Once Upon a Time's Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis Take Our Showrunner Survey

by Michael Schneider

Having served as executive producers on Lost, Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis are experts in alternate worlds, shocking twists and the battle between good and evil. As the creators of ABC's fairy tale-themed new hit Once Upon a Time, they found another way to spin those kinds of yarns. It's working: When seven days of DVR usage are included, Once averages 13.8 million viewers and a 4.8 rating among adults 18-49. In case you haven't checked it out yet (the show returns January 8), Horowitz and Kitsis answered our showrunner questionnaire in the hopes that you'll soon book a trip to Storybrooke.

TV Guide Magazine: I could sit at home and read a fairy tale. Why should I watch your show instead?
    Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis: Because what we're attempting to do is not retell fairy tales but tell you the parts of them you never knew — to reinvent them through our own sensibilities and then mash them all up in ways we've never seen before and we hope the audience hasn't imagined.

TV Guide Magazine: What happens if we don't watch your show?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: Then the show ends. And we are sad.

TV Guide Magazine: Give us an algorithm for your show.
    Horowitz and Kitsis: We don't understand math. That's why we became writers.

TV Guide Magazine: What's the best thing anyone has said or written about your show?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: That it made them happy to watch, that it transported them somewhere enjoyable for an hour.

TV Guide Magazine: Were they right?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: We take them at their word. Who are we to judge?

TV Guide Magazine: ABC promotes your Lost credits. Which past credit should they avoid touting at all costs?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: Hot Tonight. It was a public access sketch-comedy show we did in Madison, Wisconsin. We thought we were funny. We write drama now.

TV Guide Magazine: How are you using your power of TV for good?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: We are trying to write about the power of hope in a time of uncertainty. Also, we use it to fight crime.

TV Guide Magazine: What's an alternate title for your show?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: A Fistful of Fairy Dust.

TV Guide Magazine: Showrunner battles are all the rage these days. Pick a rival show, any show, to start a fight with.
    Horowitz and Kitsis: 60 Minutes. We've watched your show. We've timed it. Without commercials, you're only 43 minutes.

TV Guide Magazine: Let's scare the network. Tell us an idea that didn't make it out of the writers' room.
    Horowitz and Kitsis: We have a show with fairies, dwarves, talking crickets and dragons — we're not sure they're frightened of anything anymore.

TV Guide Magazine: Let's say you could do a crossover episode with any TV show in history. Which show, and what would the episode be about?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: The Charmings. And it would be Snow and Charming confronting Snow and Charming. Fighting to the death over who is really... Snow and Charming.

TV Guide Magazine: Of your cast members, who would fare best on Celebrity Apprentice?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: Rumplestiltskin. He drives a hard bargain.

TV Guide Magazine: Now that you're a hit, what sort of Hollywood-ish thing will you demand?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: We don't think of ourselves as a hit; we're just glad to have the opportunity to tell more stories. That said, we've asked ABC for a dwarf entourage.

TV Guide Magazine: What would a Once Upon a Time ride at Disneyland look like?
    Horowitz and Kitsis: You'd hop in Emma's Yellow Bug, race through Storybrooke, and escape the curse right before being deposited in Fairy Tale Land. That's where, of course, your picture would be taken in the Magic Mirror. And you'd have to walk through Mr. Gold's Pawn Shop in order to buy souvenirs. Or barter your children for the location of your parking spot, which you've long since forgotten because of the dizzying ride.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Once-Upon-Time...is-1041247.aspx

13. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Lana Parrilla: Fans Will Learn Evil Queen’s Backstory On ‘Once Upon A Time’

For weeks, Lana Parrilla has played the manipulative, powerful, and angry Evil Queen on ABC’s “Once Upon A Time,” but her character wasn’t always so bad. And in the coming weeks, fans will find out how she got that way.

“There’s a couple of episodes coming up where you’ll see a more vulnerable side to her and there’s one that hasn’t even been scripted yet, but there’s word that you’ll see more of her backstory – how she became evil and why,” Lana told AccessHollywood.com on Thursday morning.

Although not yet revealed to viewers, Lana said she actually knows what happened in her character’s past — and she even figured it out on her own.

“I kind of knew it from the beginning. It’s kind of interesting. I tapped into it when I was doing my own work on the Queen, and then I shared it with [creators] Adam [Horowitz] and Eddie [Kitsis] and they were like, ‘How did you know that?’ And I said, ‘What are you talking about?’ and they said, ‘That’s exactly what we were thinking, we we’re going down that road.’ I’m like ‘Oh my God! We’re in sync. This is awesome!’” Lana recounted.

“It’s just a matter of time for that story to be told… You’ll definitely, by the end of the season, learn more about her backstory and see a more [softer] side, that, I think will – the audience is just really going to understand why she hates Snow and why she’s so heartbroken,” the actress said.

And “Once Upon A Time” watchers may begin to see chinks in the armor of Lana’s other character, Storybrooke’s own mayor, Regina, when she battles in this Sunday’s episode with Mr. Gold (Robert Carlyle).

“Regina and Mr. Gold take opposite sides. It’s pretty much dirty politics,” Lana said of the run for the now-open Sheriff’s position. “Emma’s running for Sheriff now that Graham has passed on, and that becomes very threatening… Mr. Gold ends up backing Emma up in this… We learn that there’s dirty games going on here, and there’s a scene with Mr. Gold and Regina, where you can see it’s game time.”

Lana also said the death of Sheriff Graham, which occurred in the last episode of 2011, when Regina/The Evil Queen crushed his heart – quite literally – won’t be something her character gets past quickly.

“There’s an emptiness… I’ve made the choice that there’s a mourning period. I don’t know how you’re gonna see it, but… I embody that throughout the episode,” Lana said.

“Once Upon A Time” returns to ABC on Sunday at 8 PM EST/PST.

http://www.accesshollywood.com/lana-parril...e_article_58651

14. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Exclusive Interview: Adam Horowitz chats about ONCE UPON A TIME

The co-creator/exec producer talks about his new ABC fantasy series

ABC’s new series ONCE UPON A TIME, airing Sundays at 8 PM, is definitely a fantasy, but beyond that, it’s hard to compare to anything on the air, now or in the past. The short version of the premise is that the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) exiles many characters from Fairytale Land, including Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin), Prince Charming (Josh Dallas) and Rumpelstiltskin (Robert Carlyle), to the picturesque small town of Storybrooke, Maine. The erstwhile fairytale folk have no notion of their true identities but young Henry (Jared Gilmore), the adopted son of the mayor, has a glimmer of what has really happened. He finds his real mother Emma (Jennifer Morrison) and convinces her to accompany him back to the town, where she can’t help but notice something odd is happening.

The creators/show runners of ONCE UPON A TIME are Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, who previously worked as writers/producers on LOST and wrote the screenplay for TRON: LEGACY. Horowitz explains how he and Kitsis came to work together and what ONCE UPON A TIME viewers can look forward to as more mysteries are revealed.

ASSIGNMENT X: When did you and Edward. Kitsis become partners?

ADAM HOROWITZ: We met our sophomore year of college at the University of Wisconsin in a film class, and we became friends and we started writing together and then we did a little public access show in Madison, Wisconsin. After conquering the public access airwaves, we figured how hard could Hollywood be? It turned out to be quite hard and challenging, but we moved out here together and just started writing and working together, and got a couple of breaks and found ourselves working on some television shows, and it eventually led to working on LOST and then creating this show.

AX: Was working on LOST and dealing with all of that complicated mythology good practice for the intricate storytelling of ONCE UPON A TIME?

HOROWITZ: Yeah. The six seasons of LOST were an incredible learning experience for us as writers. Working under Damon [Lindelof] and Carlton [Cuse] there, we learned an immense amount. We had the idea for ONCE UPON A TIME prior to LOST, but I think it was those years there, really working and honing our craft, that helped us figure out the best way to tell this [ONCE UPON A TIME] story. When the show [LOST] ended and we went to ABC with this idea, we finally figured out a way to take this massive, sprawling concept and really find a way to tell it as something that is human and character-based.

AX: Had you and Edward Kitsis been show runners before ONCE UPON A TIME?

HOROWITZ: No. We had started out on LOST in Season One as producers and in Season Five became executive producers, but Carlton [Cuse] and Damon [Lindelof] were the show runners on that show. When the show ended, we felt like we wanted to take our shot and ABC was really great in putting the faith in us and given us our chance to run our first network show.

AX: Has the show-running process had any big surprises for you?

HOROWITZ: Yes and no. Working very closely with show runners on various shows, you get an idea for what the job is, but it’s not a job you really understand until you do it. You can intellectually understand all the tasks that need to be accomplished, but [it doesn’t fully sink in] until you are actually in the position where you realize that every creative decision, the buck stops with you. It’s a very daunting but incredibly gratifying and challenging role to be given, and we were very, very lucky to be given this opportunity.

AX: Did you look at any other fantasy genre shows to see things that you either did want to do or traps that you wanted to avoid?

HOROWITZ: No, I wouldn’t say we looked at other shows. I would say that it’s more a case of, we’ve been writing television and movies for over ten years and we just looked at all the stuff we’ve done in our career and tried to learn from the mistakes we made and build on the things we think we did right and tried to use all that experience to allow us to have the best chance at achieving what we set out to do with this show.

AX: How do you keep track of all the plot threads in ONCE UPON A TIME? On LOST, one of the producers had a nuclear football-type suitcase with all the different storylines in it. Do you have something like that on ONCE UPON A TIME?

HOROWITZ: There is no nuclear football. Eddie and I had an idea for a show, and we have been lucky enough now to have be given twelve episodes to work with, and we are doing our best to make them as awesome as we know how, and while we have ideas for where we would love to take this show if we are lucky enough to get an opportunity to go past the twelve episodes, right now, all we can really do is focus on what’s in front of us and say to the audience, “Look, this is what we’re trying to do, hope you take a look, hope you like it, and if you do, then let’s see where we go.”

AX: In the opening episode, we see a lot of characters moved from Fairytale Land to Storybrooke, Maine. Is literally everyone from Fairytale Land now in Storybrooke and, if so, are we going to revisit Fairytale Land in the present or just in flashbacks?

HOROWITZ: The question is exactly what we explored in the first couple of episodes. This town of Storybrooke, Maine – who lives here, who are these people, and who are they potentially in this other world? We’re just showing you the tip of the iceberg in the pilot and that there’s a lot more we’d love to explore. We intend to tell you exactly who over there came over here and what became of them.

AX: Are there any significant fairytale characters we have yet to meet?

HOROWITZ: There are certainly characters who we intend to play a large part in the series who we will meet, but for now, we have this core group that we’ve met in the pilot whose stories we feel are really rich and that really have a lot of cool things to mine, and we want to spend our time on them before we bring in all the other toys that can be fun.

AX: How did you decide on Snow White as your primary princess, as opposed to, say, Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty?

HOROWITZ: For us, Snow White is the cornerstone fairytale character. On a personal level, [SNOW WHITE is] the first movie I ever saw, it had a huge impact on me. To me, there’s something really powerful about that story, which is that it says no matter how horrible things get, true love can fix any problem and overcome any odds. And that hopeful message is something that we really keyed into as kind of the basis for this show, because ultimately for us, this show is about hope. It’s about how in a world where there are many, many challenges and tough times, if you can find hope, you can overcome anything.

AX: The idea of the evil fairy queen coming in and laying down a curse is from SLEEPING BEAUTY, isn’t it?

HOROWITZ: Once we started with the idea that we wanted to do Snow White, the initial concept of that was, what was her happy ending? Starting with that and then seeing where we go from there, and what would the Queen do in frustration at the end of that story? This is a Queen who lives in a land where she constantly loses, so to us, it was like, well, she’d want to go to a place where the rules are different and maybe she can win.

AX: Henry’s mother Emma, who doesn’t realize she’s the daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming, is obviously a crucial character. Is Henry’s father ever going to become significant?

HOROWITZ: Henry’s father is something we’ve talked about a lot and the fact that he’s not seen in the pilot or talked about – he’s only obliquely referenced once – we purposely put that in there, because that is a story, if given the opportunity, we would love to tell. We would love to get to it this season.

AX: With the production design of the show, particularly for Fairytale Land, were you concerned about maintaining a balance between something that looked kind of awesome and also like a place where people could actually live for real?

HOROWITZ: Yes. Very much. The last thing we wanted to do was camp or Renaissance Faire. Our whole aesthetic for the show on a production design level and on a storytelling level was realism and humanity. We always talk about the scene where Snow White and Prince Charming are talking about their worry about the curse that the Queen has promised to enact. And that scene starts with Prince Charming saying, “You know, are we really talking about this again?” And for us, it was about writing the scene and approaching these characters as a real couple with a real problem. And that extended to everything, which was, how do we make the world very tangible and real and relatable, while also not shirking the fantastical, awe-inspiring elements? And it is a really tricky balance to achieve. We were very lucky to have an amazing creative team that’s helping us realize that.

AX: Robert Carlyle has said that one of the big attractions for him in doing ONCE UPON A TIME is that it shoots in Vancouver.

HOROWITZ: He loves it there and Vancouver is a great city. And also, more importantly than just being great people and a great city, it really affords us an incredible backdrop to be able to create the fantastical lands that we want to explore in the show.

AX: As far as the casting went, did you have anybody in mind for any of the roles at the beginning?

HOROWITZ: We were so lucky that everyone in this cast was essentially our first choice. I mean, we met Jennifer Morrison and knew immediately she had to be our Emma. We sent the script immediately to Ginnifer Goodwin and Robert Carlyle. We were very, very lucky.

AX: Are you working on any other projects right now?

HOROWITZ: No. When you’re running a show, there’s really no time. We wrote TRON: LEGACY and we were working on the sequel to that, but we stepped aside from writing that to a co-producer role. We just finished writing a OUIJA movie for Universal, Hasbro and Michael Bay and Platinum Dunes that McG is directing. We finished our work on that right before the pilot got picked up and then put all that stuff aside and realized, if we’re going to do this show, our focus has to be completely on this show. We have to give it our all.

AX: What are your hopes for how the audience will receive ONCE UPON A TIME?

HOROWITZ: What we want is for people to be able to come into this show and if you come in any week and find a story that week, that you can come in, sit down, relax and enjoy from beginning to end and get enjoyment out of it. And also, at the same time, if you want to dig beneath the surface and look for the bigger story, that that’s there as well. We’re really gratified that ABC is giving us this chance and we hope the audience takes a shot with us and we hope they like what they see.

http://www.assignmentx.com/2012/exclusive-...ce-upon-a-time/

15. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'Once Upon A Time': Ginnifer Goodwin Exclusive On Snow White, Seven Dwarves, Romance & More

Countless little girls dream of becoming princesses, but for Memphis-born Ginnifer Goodwin, all that wishing on a star during her formative years paid off. On ABC's "Once Upon a Time," she gets to play fairytale royalty every day. As both Snow White and her cursed alter-ego Mary Margaret, Goodwin is arguably the heart of the fantasy drama. Millions of fans tune in each week to watch the iconic love story unfolding between her characters and Prince Charming and his amnesiac real-world counterpart, David Nolan (both played by the dashing Josh Dallas).

The Sunday, Jan 22. episode, "7:15 A.M.," once again centers around Snow and Charming (and Mary Margaret and David) as the couple struggles to reconnect despite countless obstacles conspiring to keep them apart. In Fairytale Land, Charming is set to marry King Midas' daughter to keep his kingdom safe and in Storybrooke, Mary Margaret is trying to stay away from David, who is inconveniently married to someone else. Their happily ever after might be a long time coming, but their star-crossed romance creates pure magic when the two share the screen.

In between scenes on "Once Upon A Time's" chilly Vancouver set, Goodwin took the time to call and share some hints about what fans can expect from this week's episode and beyond, including Snow White's first meeting with seven familiar faces, and whether her Storybrooke character will start to remember her fairytale past anytime soon.

Warning: Spoilers ahead!

This week's episode centers around Prince Charming's impending wedding to another woman. How is Snow White dealing with that and what is her mindset?

Snow isn't dealing with Charming's impending wedding to another woman very well at all! She has ... how do I explain this without getting fired? [Laughs] She is doing all that she can to forget him and she, as she says, just cannot get him out of her head. And so she realizes that she needs a new tactic ... She needs to try new things. That idea is what she's grappling with at the beginning of the episode. And in our parallel world of Storybrooke, Mary Margaret is finding that she is also unable to get David Nolan out of her head. And she's not quite as strong as Snow White, of course. She succumbs to her obsession and as I believe it's revealed in the promos, she becomes something of a stalker, which is great fun. We left David Nolan and Mary Margaret in this place where he rejected her after building up her hopes, but despite that, at every turn, every time she runs into David, she can't help but smile. She can't help but to get lost in him. She can't help but almost forget what he's done to her, despite everything. You know, she's just drawn to him and his very energy makes her so happy and so she doesn't know how he feels about her, but she does know she likes to be in his presence ... So instead of trying to find an active way to forget him as Snow White is doing at the top of the show, Mary Margaret is indulging in the feelings that she gets by being around him.

Of all the characters, I think viewers have latched on to Mary Margaret and David -- and Snow and Charming -- as the show's emotional center, so it's great to see another episode exploring their story. I know those are the scenes that I look forward to most every week.

Oh, that's wonderful to hear! I agree. Whenever I read a script, I have to say I'm most excited by those scenes, because as an audience member, of course, it's their story that I'm attached to. That is why I wanted to play that role -- or roles; it's a love story and I love a good obstacle!

We're also going to see the dwarves properly for the first time this week. Can you tell us about your scenes with them and how they might differ from the dwarves that people picture when they think of Snow White?

It happens somewhat differently than it did in the animated feature and yet, I believe that we justified the Disney animated feature. But we let you know that they had actually met before the moments in which you meet her in the Disney animated feature where she's cleaning their house. We find out that they really can relate to each other, Snow White and the dwarves. They really find that they have a lot in common and they really bring out the best in each other. I really can't say anything about how they meet because it's such a big part of the story; it's such a wonderful, wonderful reveal. Oh my goodness, I have to say I was so -- this is sort of a side note -- but I was actually moved when we shot the "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" scene. You know, the little girl in me was because that relationship is a relationship that we think we know so well. To really explore it was incredibly satisfying to my inner eight-year-old.

In fact ... since it is the first time that we did come together as a group in filming, the actors who played the dwarves -- The Super Seven, Team Seven; they have all kinds of wonderful nicknames, our gang -- they presented me with the most incredible gift. They gave me this wonderful Snow White doll and they also gave me this Snow White journal, and in the journal on a different page, each of them did a self-portrait of himself as that dwarf and wrote me a note about our all coming together to start this journey. It's the most special thing in the world. Those guys all really do take care of me. We’re all freezing, freezing, freezing cold in the Vancouver woods and they're handing me hot chocolate and coffee in the middle of the night. Everybody takes care of each other here; it's such a loving set -- it's like exactly the fairytale you would imagine. Like, it's four in the morning and everyone's got frostbite and everyone is giggling.

Regina has had her sights set on Emma for the past few episodes. Is there anything coming up for Regina with Mary Margaret again in Storybrooke?

We're always tied together. The throughline is always that Regina's going to do everything she can to keep this curse intact. But I feel that in this point in the story, from what I recall, Regina and Emma are more focused on the new stranger who's come to town: Who is he and what is he here to do? Because people are never supposed to come and go unless they are of this place, unless they are of our world. So it is such a major event that he's arrived.

Speaking of which, can you tease anything about his arrival or how that might tie into your story, if at all?

I'm actually not tied into that story yet, but I will say this: I had a million theories about who the stranger was, and they were all wrong! What the creators' intention is with that character is so much better than anything I could have come up with. You know, they don't tell us everything, but they help us with the things that we need to know in order to represent our characters in the way that they need us to; but every once in a while, I kept pestering about who the stranger is and finally, I got some little whispers. Oh my goodness, is it good!

We haven't really seen Mary Margaret have many run-ins with Mr. Gold in Storybrooke. Have you had an opportunity to work with Robert Carlyle further yet in either iteration?

I have. I've had several scenes; not a ton, but I've had several. Oh my gosh, he is such a freaking joy to work with, that man.

He seems like he's having so much fun ...

He is! He is such a terrifying villain and in real life, he is the most generous, fun human being, full of warmth and love. It is so invigorating and inspiring to see him turn on Rumpelstiltskin and Mr. Gold. I have to actually remind myself when we start rolling that I'm afraid of him in both worlds. I think that, in a way, in Fairytale Land, Snow White is afraid of him and yet, she can really hold her own. She's very good at masking her fear. Whereas Mary Margaret cannot hide very much, as meek as she is in some ways, as reserved as she is in some ways. So I have to actually remind myself, as I did yesterday when we were filming a scene together, "Oh no. I'm afraid of this man. He's not Bobby Carlyle. This is an actually a scary, cold human being."

Since Snow is so fearless in the flashbacks we've seen, while Mary Margaret is much more, as you said, reserved and kind of beaten down by the world she's living in, what are the challenges of playing a character within a character?

I think that the biggest challenge is that, while carrying Mary Margaret's insecurities, in real life, I think that I share more of Snow White's energy ... I will go back and forth playing both characters in one day ... You know, there are many ways in which Snow White is different, but once I'm turned into Snow White, I have to then work extra hard to crawl back inside of Mary Margaret and hide within her, because I'm not in the habit of doing that everyday, all day.

The episode on Jan. 29 introduces us to Snow's father, played by the fabulous Richard Schiff ...

Oh yes, my goodness I hope he comes back more. He's perfect as Snow White's father. And you know that Emilie de Ravin is going to guest star as Belle. I think that's in mid-February. Amy Acker from "Angel" is in a story that revolves all around Grumpy, which is also wonderful. We get all the best guest stars.

And it sounds as if it will be blending Snow White's story with a bit of "Aladdin." If I'm not mistaken, I think Snow's father has a run-in with a genie?

We do have a lamp ... I will tell you that there is a lamp in our story, but what I also love about what the creators have done is they have reintroduced characters you thought you knew in very surprising ways. So I will say that there is a lamp in our story, but I would not be able to define the character in a satisfying way verbally.

The Evil Queen has been dropping hints all season about this heinous thing Snow did to betray her. Can you give us a hint as to when we might discover what ruined things between them?

It's not coming up soon-ish. We will continue to unveil different pieces, but I think that that is something that they are saving for a much later date. We will get clues along the way, for sure.

We had that wonderful moment at the end of last week's episode where Mary Margaret admired Emma's baby blanket and kind of had that flash of connection. Are we going to start seeing her memories actually filtering through, or will it just be more of those kind of déjá vu moments?

I actually am not sure, because one thing I do not know is their plan for the merging of the worlds ... I'm not sure how soon they will merge the worlds and I hope that it's not too soon actually because I truly do watch the show every weekend and get swept up in the magic as much as our biggest fans. It is a really incredible thing to be part of something that's beyond the realm of what I can imagine, so when I see it on screen, it really does surprise me every single weekend. As far as Mary Margaret remembering, that's another thing. There are going to be steps in that direction certainly as the season progresses, but there are also going to be setbacks. The Queen is very powerful, and she's going to do everything she can to keep us from remembering ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/20/o...652.html?ref=tw

137 replies since 18/10/2011, 20:57   6830 views