1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Flourish Trailer #1

MegaVideo Link

Jennifer Morrison With 'Flourish'

febbraio 23, 2006

By Jenelle Riley

Actor Jennifer Morrison has a fairly fortunate dilemma. A recognizable face from movies such as Mr. & Mrs. Smith and her role as Dr. Allison Cameron on Fox's popular medical drama House, Morrison excels at portraying intelligent, complicated women. Of course, when you're so good at playing good, it can be difficult for people to see you in another light. Which is part of what makes Morrison's weird and wonderful performance in the independent feature Flourish all the more appealing. Morrison plays Gabrielle Winters, a childlike young woman who agrees to a last-minute babysitting job with tragic results, in a film that combines several seemingly random subplots into a twisty comedic thriller. Prone to malapropisms and making up words--her vocabulary
    includes "logicalistically" and "realistical"--and unable to relate to others in a traditional sense, a character such as Gabrielle creates a fine line for any actor to walk. As if the role weren't challenging enough, Morrison was also making her producing debut with the film, all while coming off the first season of a hit show.

Fortunately, Morrison had an ally in writer-director Kevin Palys, whom she has known since they attended the same grade school in Chicago, though the two didn't become close until high school. "I know it's a cliché actor thing to say, but I really had very few friends in high school," Morrison admits with a laugh. "I was always alone at lunch, and one day Kevin saw me and invited me to sit with him and his friends. They were always so mischievous; they were always pulling pranks but were smart enough to get away with them. I would be mortified by their behavior, but they were the only ones who would sit with me at lunch." She was already active in drama and even played Palys' wife in a production of The Beaux' Stratagem. Palys was impressed by the talent she showed at such a young age. While Morrison went on to perform at Steppenwolf and landed roles in films such as Stir of Echoes and Urban Legends: Final Cut; Palys enrolled in USC's film school.

In August 2003, Palys told Morrison he was creating a project with her in mind. "He said, 'I'm writing this thing for you. You always get stuck playing somebody's girlfriend,'" she recalls. "He grew up watching me onstage, so he knew a much wider spectrum of what I could do as an actor. It was such an honor that he would think of me to do that." Echoes Palys, "I knew she was ready for a challenge. I told her to her face once, 'I'm glad you got all these things, and I understand why they get made and what they do for someone, but frankly they're beneath you.' I knew it was time for her to move on, and I egotistically wanted to be the one to showcase it."

First they had to raise the money, which proved to be a start-and-stop process. "We went down several different avenues with different producers and different investors when we decided, 'Let's just raise the money ourselves,'" says Morrison. "People really responded to the script, but they always wanted to do it their way. What they didn't see was that the script doesn't work any other way except the way it's written." Palys' father works in investments and helped find several private investors to contribute to the film.

In the meantime, Morrison landed a role on a new Fox drama about a cranky doctor and his team of bright young medical experts. She found herself juggling long days on the set of House with preproduction on Flourish. "I would be on-set, and all I could think about was the 800 phone calls I had to go make," Morrison recalls. "I'd be running in and out between takes with five minutes to get on the phone with people."

There's little doubt Morrison was a hands-on producer, helping to gather a cast that included character actors Daniel Roebuck--Morrison's co-star in the 2004 film The Sure Hand of God--and Connie Ray, as well as Morrison's House co-star Jesse Spencer. "She was vital in securing the cast," Palys raves. "She could make a phone call and say, 'Look, it's going to be this kind of movie. You'll be paid very little up front, it's not that many days, will you do it?' Whereas if I had to make that call, it would be impossible." Morrison also enlisted the help of House casting director Amy Lippens and her associate Stephanie Laffin to cast the pivotal role of Lucy, the combative young girl Gabrielle is babysitting. Palys saw a headshot of actor Leighton Meester, and Lippens' office brought her in and put her on tape. "They really helped us have a proper, official forum to bring in actor, rather than just auditioning people at my apartment," he notes. According to Morrison, the film was cast perfectly. "We weren't thinking obnoxiously; we weren't going after Tom Cruise or anything," she remarks. "Basically everyone that was our first choice for a role, we got."

Feeling the Fireworks

The 18-day shoot began in Los Angeles in May 2005 on Morrison's hiatus from House. "I took 10 days off right before we started shooting. I just needed space from playing a smart character like Cameron and having this business mentality of producing the film," says Morrison, who also spent that time journaling the character of Gabrielle. It was, by all accounts, a fast and fun shoot. "I was in New York for the upfronts; I flew into town at midnight and began Flourish at six in the morning," she recalls. "We didn't have trailers, we were all gathered in this little tent." Still, the atmosphere was electric. "A lot of times when you have limitations, it squeezes creativity out of you," she observes. "I feel that's one of the problems with a lot of the big movies that come out and are really bland and boring. There's such expense and waste, and no one's forced to be creative with what they have." Morrison was particularly thrilled to collaborate with Palys as a director, someone she remembered setting off fireworks while she hid behind a tree as a kid. "He was so at home on-set," she notes, adding that the experience of playing such an intense role was also intimidating. "It was cool and exciting and scary as hell. You look at a role like this, and you know you could totally destroy it. If it becomes too self-conscious, it's annoying. If it's too subtle, it's nondescript. Luckily, Kevin and I love and trust each other, and I knew he could help me find that balance."

Postproduction was completed on a G5 using Final Cut Pro at a workstation assembled in editor Peter Samet's apartment. On Jan. 3, 2006, Palys received word that Flourish would make its world premiere at the Cinequest Film Festival in March 2006--news that thrilled the team. "Even though we were really proud and pulled it off and had it come together in a way we were happy with, it's nice to have a respected institution recognize it," she says. "We felt, like, it's hopefully the beginning of a long festival run."

As for producing, Morrison says she's absolutely up for another go at it. "There's so many unbelievably talented people in this industry, and so often all you hear are horror stories," she says. "And it doesn't have to be that way. I feel, like, if you treat people with respect and feed them well, you'll have a really hardworking group of people. And I feel, like, the more I can be a part of creating an environment where that can happen, the more good things can come of it."

Flourish will be playing at the Cinequest Film Festival in San José March 3-4. For tickets and more information, visit www.cinequest.org or www.flourishmovie.com.

FONTE

Edited by MissisMad77 - 6/1/2010, 17:56

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

image image image

jmorrisonfan

3. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Flourish Trailer #2

MegaVideo Link

Edited by MissisMad77 - 6/1/2010, 17:37

4. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Clip 01

MegaVideo Link

Clip 02

MegaVideo Link

Clip 03

MegaVideo Link

Edited by MissisMad77 - 13/12/2009, 21:21

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Clip 04

MegaVideo Link

Clip 05

MegaVideo Link

Clip 06

MegaVideo Link

Edited by MissisMad77 - 13/12/2009, 22:05

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Clip 07

MegaVideo Link

Clip 08

MegaVideo Link

Clip 09

MegaVideo Link

Edited by MissisMad77 - 14/12/2009, 00:22

7. mvitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

http://www.flourishmovie.com/cast/jennifermorrison.html

image image

image image

8. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Making Of DVD Captures

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

source: ilovebytes.com :tnx: actorwanabe

Fluorish Backstage

9. mvitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

HHHQ

10. MissisMad77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Uh grazie!!! Tutto ciò che ha a che fare con Flourish mi rende sempre felicissima perchè lo amo tanto tanto!!! :tnx:

11. -ELY-
        +1   -1

User deleted

Ah ecco!! alla faccia di chi dice che jen non è brava come attrice!

Guardare questo film? sarà pure un filmettino di nicchia che a volte si perde un po' via, ma Jen è brava davvero.
    La parte della matta, che però racconta la sua storia con lucidità e convinzione le è proprio riuscita. In barba alle malelingue.

12. MissisMad77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE (-ELY- @ 8/10/2009, 16:27)
    Ah ecco!! alla faccia di chi dice che jen non è brava come attrice!

Guardare questo film? sarà pure un filmettino di nicchia che a volte si perde un po' via, ma Jen è brava davvero.
    La parte della matta, che però racconta la sua storia con lucidità e convinzione le è proprio riuscita. In barba alle malelingue.

Io amo questo film con tutta me stessa :heart:
    Come tutti ho imparato a "conoscere" Jen come attrice perchè interpretava Cameron ma questo film è stato il giro di boa!
    Dopo averlo visto ho completamente cambiato idea su di lei, come donna prima che come attrice, perchè se decidi di metterti in gioco, con i tuoi soldi, in un film del genere, a soli 27 anni... bè insomma non tutti lo avrebbero fatto! E qui è scoppiato l'ammmoore diciamo! :wub:

13. -ELY-
        +1   -1

User deleted

Vero? non è da tutti spendere soldi ed energie per un film così particolare, e lei è brava davvero nella sua parte.

14. MissisMad77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Ecco questo articolo esprime alla perfezione ogni mio pensiero sul film e su Jen, soprattutto in questo concetto: I think I may have a celebrity crush on Jennifer :P

CITAZIONE
    Flourish: You have to tell it in a certain way…
    Written by Phoebe Raven, CC2K TV Editor

When was the last time you went into a movie completely ignorant of its content when it started, yet halfway through you thought “This may be the best movie I have ever seen”?

Flourish was like that for me. And while the thought was an exaggeration (but as exaggerations come and go it was one of the minor ones), Flourish sure was one of the best movies I have seen of late and among the most entertaining. (Relish in how soothing it is to hear me say this, when I have a habit of smashing such pop-culture gems as on Children of Men, Quentin Tarantino, Uma Thurman, the Spiderman-Franchise… need I go on?)

I am extremely hesitant to continue with a plot summary of Flourish right now for several reasons.

One being that I am not entirely sure I could provide one even if I tried. The story isn’t all that intricate and complex, but so many little details are vital, and so many seeming coincidences have consequences, that to do a summary would take more time than any of us have.

Another reason is that the movie is unbelievably fun and riveting when you have no clue what’s going on, how it’s going to end, or what's happening in between (although I have to admit I haven’t re-watched it, so I can’t judge how much fun it is with knowledge of the plot. I believe this movie to be capable of unfolding another kind of magic even the second time around).

And yet another reason for me not telling the story is to give you all even more incentive to go rent Flourish so you can corroborate or contradict my experiences with it.

I fear I might have to give away some of the story in a bit, but first let me relate how I came across this movie in the first place.

I am an avid fan of TV’s House MD (recently declared the world's most-watched television show), and a part of my fan-dom always involves me looking up the actors on IMDB. I don’t like to judge whether or not an actor/actress is good before I have seen some of their work. In order to see if they really act or just play themselves on screen. (Some actors have exactly one gig they are really good at, one type of character they can play and that’s it. Like Adam Sandler, Jennifer Aniston, and cohorts and to some degree even Jack Nicholson or Jim Carrey. Does this sound like I am slamming Jack Nicholson? I am not. Just saying he is being typecast of late.)

On the filmography of both Jennifer Morrison and Jesse Spencer I found an indie flick called Flourish. “What a perfect deal”, I said to myself. Two of the actors I love off that show in one movie! So without inquiring further what this movie entailed I got my hands on it and popped it into my DVD player ASAP.

And while Jesse Spencer’s attempt at an American accent is a wee bit off, it doesn’t really matter, his screen time is about five minutes and it is really Jennifer Morrison who blows you out of the water.

She has a history of playing the good girl so morally right and overall nice it can be enraging. Case in point: Dr. Allison Cameron. Well, Jennifer is anything but nice in this movie. She is hilarious, schizophrenic and utterly relatable yet. Her character Gabrielle is…not quite right in the head, to put it bluntly. More exactly she has Korsakoff's syndrome, but still I connected to her character more than to a lot of characters I have seen before. (Maybe that just says something about me.)

The movie’s tagline is: “Keep it realistical.” It is word creations like this that tip you off to Gabrielle’s insanity. (If you don’t gather it instantly from the somber-colored scenes in which she sits at a table opposite a camera, fixing her glasses and is asked to tell her story.) Among her linguistic endeavors are phrases like: “See...logicalistically I can tell from your eyes that you're lying” or “There’s no need to overreactivate.” But the best line, and I believe the one that will make you watch this movie, is one I almost didn’t catch, it is delivered so fast and spot on:

“Can’t you wait till they’re back? I’m sure your parents would enjoy seeing you run away from home much more than I would.”

Okay, I suppose at this point it is inevitable to share some plot to circumvent losing all my readers. Gabrielle fancies herself a lector, translator and tutor and is hired to babysit a 16-year-old teenager overnight to help her with her English essay while her parents attend a funeral out of town. Yes, that family is dysfunctional all by itself already. The only reason Gabrielle takes this job is because the mother offers her $1000 for it and because the car Gabrielle shares with her roommate got stolen by Gabrielle’s own fault, and so now they have to buy a new one, meaning she really needs the money. Naturally this babysitting job has to turn out a disaster. And what a fun one.

There have been many movies over time trying to have multiple plot lines running at once and attempting to let them all come together through unexpected twists in the end (Crash anyone?) or movies where all of the sudden a minor detail from before becomes vital. Some of these movies have succeeded, others have failed. When creating a movie of this kind there are many traps and pitfalls to be avoided in the form of clichés, overused twists, obvious camera work (i.e. when the lighter is shown for five seconds for no apparent reason you already KNOW it’s gonna be important later), but Flourish manages to steer clear of many if not, dare I say it, all of them. Some may accuse this film of being pointless and not building up to anything, but that is not true. (I checked out the message boards on IMDB and tons of people hated this movie. All teenagers who didn’t get the point, I believe.) The point eventually is revealed at the very end and we see why we were sent on the ride. Loose ends aren’t exactly tied up, but simply because they were never meant to make a whole lot of sense in the first place. A woman with a mental condition is telling us a story, did we really believe it would make perfect sense in the end? But while many films would use insanity of a person as a cop-out to explain any slips in continuity or gaps in logic, Flourish decidedly avoids this. It never claimed to tell a coherent story. It is built on the fact that we KNOW Gabrielle is confused (to say the least) and yet tries to tell the story well. She explicitly says: “You have to tell it in a certain way, so that it sounds right… so it sounds realistical.” Keeping that in mind you can actually be amazed at how coherent her story is.

And if all of these content teasers aren’t enticement enough to watch this film, then let me get back to my praise of Jennifer Morrison’s work.

Writer, director and producer Kevin Palys is a high school friend of Jennifer’s, which is why she signed on to the project. And she turns out to be the perfect asset for a story so intricate it needed talent to be brought alive. This is not only accomplished by Jennifer, there is a great ensemble cast, but from the bunch, she sticks out. (Palys researched for two years before actually writing the script, and it paid off.) While the argument has been made on this site that it’s always easier to play someone mentally unstable than Joe Average, Jennifer Morrison has an altogether refreshing take on it. It helps that her character Gabrielle isn’t an outright loony, but her problem only flares up now and then. Heck, if you didn’t know better Gabrielle might just be extremely quirky and weird. The brilliance of Jennifer Morrison lies in her body language. Particularly impressive are the inter-cut scenes of her talking to what we assume to be a doctor and telling her story. The way she adjusts her glasses (which she never wears in the rest of the film) and tries to pose right for the camera, changing her facial expression from earnest to kind to stern to sexy is pure genius. Her mimics in those scenes are endearing, confusing, funny and illustrative of what goes on in Gabrielle’s head.
    Not to mention Jennifer Morrison is a total hottie, but manages to completely downplay this in the entire film. Because it simply wouldn’t serve the role. (Sidenote: I think I may have a celebrity crush on Jennifer. I also have a celebrity crush on Jesse Spencer. Those two were once engaged in real life. I cannot for the life of me decide who to be jealous of for having been allowed to make out with whom. )

As if all of this wasn’t enough, among all these twists and turns of plot and stellar acting we also get a ton of humor and quotable one-liners. And which geek doesn’t like those? Yes, this movie is genuinely funny is what I am saying. Clever word jokes plus awesome weirdness between characters resulted in several diaphragm-tickling-attacks over here on my end.

Enough said, praised, lauded and drooled over. Go watch this movie! Now! I swear you’ll be saying to your friends “You're getting my karate gi wet!” and complain to your wife “This towel is weird!” and when your very annoying co-worker returns from lunch you will say “Don't be done. Have fun, go back.“

I need to go now, Gabrielle just told me I have a temperature of at least three or four hundred and I am wondering how that makes me and Jesus feel…

Source

15. MissisMad77
        +1   -1

User deleted

"...this weird place: the Making of Flourish", backstage and interviews on the set:

MegaVideo link

17 replies since 14/6/2008, 15:09   1325 views