HIMYM - S06e11 - The Mermaid Theory on air 2010, Dec. 6

Discussion post mortem - recaps - reviews - clips - caps Photobucket

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

How I Met Your Mother Press Release: S06e11 - The Mermaid Theory

CITAZIONE

TED BEFRIENDS ZOEY’S HUSBAND, “THE CAPTAIN,” WHEN HE BEGINS TO QUESTION HIS OWN RELATIONSHIP WITH ZOEY, ON “HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER,” MONDAY, DEC. 6

“The Mermaid Theory” — When Ted’s new friendship with Zoey tests the theory that men and married women can’t be friends, he invites her husband, “The Captain,” to hang out with them. Meanwhile, Marshall and Robin decide to spend alone time together, on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, Monday, Dec. 6 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Kyle MacLachlan returns as “The Captain.”

SERIES REGULARS:

Ted.............................................. Josh Radnor

Marshall........................................ Jason Segel

Barney................................ Neil Patrick Harris

Lily........................................ Alyson Hannigan

Robin ..................................... Cobie Smulders

RECURRING CAST

Narrator.......................................... Bob Saget

Zoey..................................... Jennifer Morrison

The Captain..................................... Kyle MacLachlan

GUEST CAST:

Iris..................................... Tamara Lynn Davis

Angus..................................... Angus McClelland

WRITTEN BY: Robia Rashid

DIRECTED BY: Pamela Fryman

GENRE: COMEDY

Source: CBS

All promotional still - Promotional still - Jennifer Morrison - Promo #1 - Sneak Peek #1 - Extended Preview

Edited by Aleki77 - 4/12/2010, 20:11

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison in HIMYM - SO6E11 - first caps LQ

3. MVitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

thanks for the first caps! :)

4. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison in How I Met Your Mother - S06e11 - The Mermaid Theory

www.megavideo.com/?v=GBPFBDT8

Edited by Aleki77 - 7/12/2010, 14:53

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

How I Met Your Mother Review: And You Say He's Just a Friend...

December 7th, 2010 6:45 AM by Chris O'Hara

Absence definitely made my heart grow fonder, but there was no Mermaid Clock ticking away on this episode. I was in love with it the moment I set sail.

Coming off a bye week, I had hoped for something special from the writers and Barney’s Mermaid Theory was an instant classic.

The Captain can be a little creepy, it’s true. Yes, he told Ted and the guys they were “looking smart” and he probably uses words like “slacks and trousers,” but I can’t help but like the guy.

He had to know going in that marrying a trophy wife like Zoey would put the scent of blood in the water and that the sharks would circle his boat eventually. I give him credit for letting her hang with Ted as much as he has. Zoey’s popularity has been debated by fans of the show, but I hope for the sake of the Captain that she and Ted remain just friends.

Oh Captain, my Captain!

Marshall was great when he revealed he figured out what, exactly, about the Captain was so bizarre. The way he burst through the apartment door and blurted out his realization was very Cosmo Kramer-esque. He and Robin were epic in their awkwardness toward each other. Not sure I would ever be able to see her as a manatee, but kudos to the big cat for his restraint.

I’m sure the vomiting helped a little.

Loved Zoey’s Anchors Away ring tone for The Captain and the use of the theme song from the film Crimson Tide as background music when Ted boarded The Captain’s boat. I don’t think it's a stretch to say that Kyle MacLachlan, dressed in khaki, red and yellow was a second nod to the 1995 Tony Scott, submarine thriller.

The scene where Ted, Barney, Lily and Robin are eating Chinese food on the couch rang true, and left me drooling. I love scenes where people eat take-out straight from the containers. Something about it always makes the food look delicious. It took every ounce of restraint I had not to order up some dumplings and General Tso’s chicken myself.

It set the scene nicely for the Barney/Lily juxtaposition. That storyline was scripted perfectly and quite possibly the best of the season.

I laughed the whole way through, whether it was when Barney angrily hovering over a bowl of ice cream and emotionally telling Lily to “save it” or when he explained that through breast-feeding, a manatee can become a mermaid once again. When those things swell up to three times their normal size, so do I. Wow.

I swelled, but it was my heart that did so, when Lily thanked Barney for saving her and her baby. So happy for her and Marshall. There are few couples with better chemistry on television. I would be remiss if I did not add that I’m definitely interested to see why Ted showed up in the green dress.

When The Captain Goldie Hawned Ted’s cell phone Overboard, I couldn’t help but think of Ed Harris’ descent in The Abyss as The Captain described in detail the phone’s torturous trip to the depths below. Can you hear me now? No, because you’re on the bottom of the sea.

Zoey’s mermaid clock ticking away, as the scene in the pub with her and Ted closed out, was a nice touch.

From bow to stern, this episode was ship shape and got me excited to see how the remaining episodes play out. I’m particularly excited to see if Alex Trebek can unseat Bob Barker as the greatest Game Show Host cameo role of all time. Until then, enjoy the following How I Met Your Mother quotes from this half hour:

CITAZIONE
    Lily: Whenever we're alone you spend the entire time undressing me with your eyes, you even take off my shoes.
    Barney: High heels chafe my shoulders.

CITAZIONE
    Robin: Right, Marsh Madness?
    Marshall: No doubt, Robo Cop.
    Lily: You two never hang out alone. You just made up those names right now.

CITAZIONE
    Barney: Mark my words, Marshall, someday you will find Iris so excruciatingly attractive you won't be able to look her directly in the boobs.

CITAZIONE
    Lily: Anytime a single guy hangs out with a married woman there are rules that must be followed. Rule number one...
    Barney: Don't use the husband's condoms, that's just rude.

CITAZIONE
    Lily: And the most important rule of all...
    Barney: Lubricant is public property.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2010/12/how-i-met...mermaid-theory/

6. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

disappointed by this episode !
    it wasn't very funny
    marshall / robin and lily / barney : boring
    Jennifer appears only 1 minute :(

I don't understand why Zoey is with The Captain :unsure:

7. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'How I Met Your Mother' - 'The Mermaid Theory': Naked came the manatee

By Alan Sepinwall - An episode that resembled vintage "HIMYM" on the surface, but didn't really work

Tuesday, Dec 7, 2010 9:07 AM

A review of last night's "How I Met Your Mother" coming up just as soon as we spend six hours in frigid international waters...

Not long after "The Mermaid Theory" finished airing, one of my Twitter followers said he looked forward to my review of what he thought was the best episode of the season. And not long after that, another Twitter follower called it one of the show's worst episodes ever.

That speaks to the obvious idea that taste is a very individual thing, but also to the specific nature of this episode.

"The Mermaid Theory" had all the elements of a classic "HIMYM" episode: a Barney theory about women (complete with silly period flashback and/or present-day costumes), Future Ted as unreliable narrator, a running joke within the gang applying eerily well to an outsider, etc. If I were a TV writer putting together a "HIMYM" spec script, it would probably try to feature all of those elements.

But that's, unfortunately, what the episode felt like: a bunch of outside observers trying to make an incredible simulation of the show. In point of fact, the episode's credited writer, Robia Rashid, has been on the show for several years (she wrote "Say Cheese," one of last season's stronger episodes), but for whatever reason, the execution here didn't work. The framework was there, but I'm not sure I laughed even once - and I tend to be a fan of stories where Future Ted inserts himself a little too blatantly, and here his narration of the Lily/Barney subplot was completely off the rails.

I was also bothered throughout the Marshall/Robin story by the way it seemed to be completely ignoring the existence of "Little Minnesota," an episode that established A)That Marshall and Robin have hung out together in the past (and well after Marshal was married), B)That they had a good time hanging out together, and C)That they have more in common than any other potential pairing within the group. On other show's, I wouldn't care as much that they sacrificed continuity for the sake of a joke, but "HIMYM" is all about continuity(*).

(*) I'm sure, for instance, they know exactly when Ted will turn up in that green dress again and why, even if we have to wait until sometime next season, or whenever it is that Lily is that pregnant.

And I'm still not sure what it is that Zoey adds to the show, especially now that her mermaid clock has started ticking and the show is making it clear there will be some sort of romantic awkwardness between the two of them.

Been a very up-and-down season of the show. This was a down episode, even if it had a lot of the pieces to be an up one.

What did everybody else think?

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-wat...ame-the-manatee

8. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

How I Met Your Mother - "I'm Sorry for Wasting Your Time"

By DeAnn Welker

Oh, wow. This episode is totally confusing and makes very little sense at all. Not only that, but the "plots" that it "furthers" are tedious and full of plotholes. But I'll give this a shot. So, Ted's invited to go to a boring architecture thing with Zoey and everyone else makes up an excuse not to go (they're all washing Lily's hair, except left-out Barney), leaving Ted and Zoey alone. Lily lays out the rules to him of how he can behave with Zoey (a married woman), as a single male friend. Basically, they can't lie about anything, no candles, and nothing involving saliva. Something like that, but I'll clarify in the weecap. Ted goes, and there is a small lie: Zoey tells the Captain (who it turns out is terrifying, despite his goofy caddishness the only other time we met him) she's with "friends." Then she invites Ted to hang out with both of them to make up for it, but no-shows. Ted spends the rest of the episode on the Captain's boat, afraid the crazy man is going to kill him. (He's not; if he were, he'd have taken Ted to his hunting lodge, duh.) In the end, Ted and Zoey are alone together again, and sparks are beginning to fly. This is our plot development, but we get Saget!Ted's kids and his narration a lot this episode, which just made it obvious that Zoey can't be the mother. If she were, wouldn't Saget!Ted not keep calling her "Zoey" as his kids stare at him blankly?

Elsewhere is the confusing storyline in which Barney and Lily get in a fight. The reason it's so confusing is that Saget!Ted can't remember who is mad at whom, or for what, or when. He ultimately remembers that the fight he's connecting to the rest of the episode actually took place a year later, when Lily is pregnant, so we get a little flash-forward that includes Ted in a green dress (but why? You just know we'll never know). While Lily and Barney fight, Marshall and Robin try to hang out alone and test the Mermaid Theory of the episode's title: It's Barney's theory that if you are around any woman long enough, she will go from being a manatee to a mermaid. That's why Marshall's never hung out alone with Robin: He needs her to remain a big, fat manatee. There's awkward conversation, but then he fills her in, then they drink. Just as she's morphing into a mermaid and he's panicking, she vomits and gets disgusting and manatee-like again. Phew.

Oh, and the Barney-Lily and Marshall-Robin storylines do connect, because the fight Barney and Lily are having ends up being about the Mermaid Theory. Because the only antidote to mermaidism is pregnancy, which is why Barney no longer finds Lily attractive, and why she gets mad and cries that he'd call her a "big, fat manatee." He promises her she'll get hot again just as soon as she starts breast-feeding, because (insert boob- and penis-swelling joke -- you can figure out it out yourselves or wait for the weecap -- here).

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/...ory.php?grade=3

9. MVitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

Aleki you were right when you told that thing at the phone before!!! this new dress is absolutely amazing!!!

image image

later I'm gonna see the ep and post my comment ;)

10. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

oh yes she's stunning in this dress :heart:

11. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE (aurore @ 7/12/2010, 18:37) 
    disappointed by this episode !
    it wasn't very funny
    marshall / robin and lily / barney : boring
    Jennifer appears only 1 minute :(

I don't understand why Zoey is with The Captain :unsure:

I saw this episode very quickly and without subtitles, therefore I can't give an opinion about this episode, but the reviews are quite agree with your opinion.

PS: I was died laughing when Zoey responds to her cell phone saying: Ahoy!

CITAZIONE (MVitto @ 7/12/2010, 20:13) 
    Aleki you were right when you told that thing at the phone before!!! this new dress is absolutely amazing!!!

image image

later I'm gonna see the ep and post my comment ;)

I think that this dress is perfect for an event in a museum! Great choice!
    Very classy!!!

12. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

QUOTE (Aleki77 @ 7/12/2010, 20:55) 
    PS: I was died laughing when Zoey responds to her cell phone saying: Ahoy!

oh yes that was awesome :D

13. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

HIMYM The Mermaid Theory: Ted on a Boat With The Captain, Kyle MacLachlan

by Elizabeth SanFilippo - December 07, 2010 08:07 AM EST

While fans tune in to see the “How I Met Your Mother” gang’s antics every week, there’s best friends within the group that most of the story lines center around. In The Mermaid Theory, the group dynamics get put to the test by changing up the pairings. Oh, and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) finally has another theory when it comes to women, and it might affect the way Marshall (Jason Segel) looks at Robin (Cobie Smulders).

Ted and Zoey hang out alone on HIMYM
    This pair is diving into dangerous waters - literally. Ted (Josh Radnor) realizes he might be stepping over the line by hanging out with Zoey (Jennifer Morrison) alone at a Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit. As Lily (Alyson Hannigan) says, there’s three things a single man needs to avoid when hanging out with a married woman:

1. Don’t go anywhere that has candles.

2. No sharing food - or, really, anything involving saliva is off limits.

3. No lying to the spouse about anything.

Or, as Barney says, don’t use the husband’s condoms, and lube is public property.

Yet, Zoey breaks Lily’s rule number three, so Lily makes a new ruling: hang out with both the Captain (Kyle MacLachlan) and Zoey together.

Ted on a boat with the creepy “How I Met Your Mother” Captain
    Too bad Zoey is sick, leaving just the Captain and Ted alone six hours out in frigid international waters. As Future Ted (Bob Saget) reminisced, “I was pretty sure I was going to die that night.” After all, the Captain showed both sides of his face - the happy smile, and the creepy serial-killing look in his eyes. But after the Captain saves Ted after he falls in, things get better, and the Captain admits, if he wanted to kill Ted, he’d choose a far more remote location, like his hunting lodge.

Marshall and Robin go out to eat on HIMYM
    Wanting to prove that they can hang out alone, Marsh-Madness and Robo-cop decide to go out to dinner, sans candles. It doesn’t go so well. Within the first 16 seconds they finish talking about the only topics they ever discuss: weather, sports, and cold weather sports. After some twitching and some random talk about boring poetry classes, Marshall admits what he worries about: Barney’s mermaid theory.

Years ago, Barney told Marshall how the myths of mermaids came to be. 300 years ago, desperate for female companionship while out at sea, sailors began to see manatees as mermaids. Put another way, it’s only a matter of time before Marshall can’t look his eye-broccoli assistant Iris (Tamara Lynn Davis) directly in the boobs. She’ll turn from a plain Jane into someone Marshall wants to bone... which is exactly what happens one year, three months, and 16 days later.

That’s exactly what Marshall is trying to avoid with Robin. But to the dismay of all HIMYM fans, he starts to see her as a mermaid once his beer goggles go on... but then Robin pukes, and she’s back to being a manatee. Turns out that’s just one way a girl become a manatee again.

Lily won’t hang out with Barney - or is it vice versa?
    It only took Ted six seasons worth of HIMYM stories to forget how one of his stories went. Is Lily the one who refuses to hang out with Barney, or the other way around? Either way, the friends got angry at each other.

By the end of “How I Met Your Mother” Mermaid Theory, though, Ted figures it out. He’s mixing things up. Barney and Lily’s big fight is way in the future, when Lily is pregnant and Barney has no worries about wanting to bang her anymore. After all, according to Barney, that’s how a hot mermaid goes back to a manatee. Then again, she can turn hot again by breastfeeding.

Just as the story wraps up, Ted walks down in a dress. But, as Future Ted has said before, that’s a HIMYM story for another day.

Where Ted goes from here
    Let’s give “How I Met Your Mother” this. They said Jennifer Morrison would be involved in a long story arc as Ted’s love interest - and it’s completely different from every relationship Ted’s ever had with a girl, including Robin. So where is this going? Will Zoey leave Ted? Cheat on the Captain? Or will their relationship just stay a friendship?

Right now, in The Mermaid Theory, the new friends claim they don’t have feelings for each other - otherwise they’d never hang out alone - but do you buy it? Weigh in below!

http://entertainment.gather.com/viewArticl...281474978765444

14. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'How I Met Your Mother' recap: The Little Mermaid was a manatee

The group warned Ted (Josh Radnor) that hanging out alone with Zoey (Jennifer Morrison) is dangerous because she's married. But it's OK if you're old friends, Marshall (Jason Segel) pointed out, using himself and Robin (Cobie Smulders) as an example. Lily (Alyson Hannigan) responded that he and Robin never hang out alone, so they made a dinner date. While Robin and Marshall scenes are definitely rare – Smulders has said it's because they can't keep a straight face together – we've seen some bonding time before between the two of them. We saw them get trapped together in a car in “Three Days of Snow.” And it was Marshall who first took Robin to the Hoser Hut in “Little Minnesota.” But yes, those are rare treats, every one of which I really enjoyed, so it was great to see the show revisit their friendship.

Their dinner date got off to an awkward start when they went through all their topics of conversation – cold weather, sports, and cold weather sports – in 16 seconds. The stared at each other, their opposite eyes hilariously twitching. Marshall explained that the reason they never hang out together is because of The Mermaid Theory. Cue Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) and Marshall in a pirate flashback. The myth of the mermaid originated when lonely pirates started to imagine that the big, ugly manatees were beautiful mermaids. Every woman, no matter how plain or ugly, has a mermaid clock, Barney explained, and when it stops ticking, she becomes a mermaid. Cue Marshall seeing Robin dressed up as a manatee. It was in that moment that I realized why I love Marshall and Robin scenes. Smulders and Segel are gung-ho, hilarious actors who really go for it and play off each other so well comedically. After a night of drinking, Marshall's beer goggles started to see Robin as a manatee with mermaid features (seashell bra, blond hair). (Is there an embarrassing outfit Smulders hasn't worn by this point?) It seemed as if Marshall's fears about Robin becoming a mermaid, “singing 'Part of Your World' to my pants,” were coming true. Then Robin threw up in front of him. After that, she was forever a manatee to Marshall and they were “closer than ever,” said Future Ted. I demand to see more Marshall and Robin scenes after that declaration.

Ted, meanwhile, was out on the boat with Zoey's husband, the Captain (Kyle MacLachlan). Lily advised him that if he's friends with both of them, then there's no problem, so Ted took the Captain up on his offer to go sailing. But he failed to account for the fact that no one can hear you scream in the middle of the ocean, which the Captain kept pointing out. I'm not a fan of MacLachlan's more recent TV characters on “Sex and the City” and “Desperate Housewives.” Probably because he's always playing the WASPy jerk, but on “HIMYM,” he gets to poke fun at that type. And MacLachlan seems to be having a blast playing the slightly creepy Captain with the manic smiling mouth/angry eyes face. But Ted didn't have anything to be worried about. The Captain was worried about fitting in with Zoey's younger friends and just wanted to be buddies with Ted. Everything was fine when Ted and Zoey met up at the bar later and would continue to be so as long as they didn't have the tiniest hint of feelings for each other. They both agreed that they didn't as the mermaid clock began to tick away.

The episode also used the show's storytelling framework to amusing effect this week as Future Ted had problems remembering why Lily and Barney were fighting. It created for one of the show's most self-referential, fourth-wall breaking moments as Lily and Barney stared at the camera while Future Ted tried to remember how the story went. First he thought Barney was upset because Lily didn't want to hang out with him. Then he realized they were outside, not inside the bar, during their argument just before when Lily saved Barney from being hit by a motorcycle. Then he remembered it was Barney who hurt Lily's feelings because he called her a big, fat manatee while she was pregnant in a completely different timeline! It was actually Barney who saved Lily. “You saved us,” she said, rubbing her pregnant belly – from the motorcycle. Barney reassured her that when she started breastfeeding, she'd be a mermaid again. So our first glimpse of a pregnant Lily is actually a very pregnant Lily. I have to say that was one of the more believable looking baby bumps I've seen on TV. We didn't get any hints as to when this pregnancy takes place aside from Future Ted's “much, much later,” but we did see Ted storm into the bar in a green dress and exclaim, “Now we're even!” Is the green dress the new goat?

Readers, would you like more Robin and Marshall storylines? Did you see it coming that Lily was actually pregnant? How long do you think it'll be before the mermaid clock runs out and Zoey becomes a mermaid to Ted? And what do you think of MacLachlan's performance? Also, how awesome were Harris and Segel as pirates? “Dude, we need to find land.”

— Vlada Gelman (follow my TV musings on Twitter at @stayingin)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracke...-a-manatee.html

15. jennwithapen
        +1   -1

User deleted

This episode wasn't awful, but it wasn't my favorite either. I know the writers said that the Ted/Zoey story would move slowly, but I'm starting to get bored. So much still needs to be explained...like, why is she with "The Captain"? Jen looked great as always, but it's probably difficult for her to perform well and win over more HIMYM fans when she only gets a minute of airtime. Sigh. Anyway, looking forward to when this relationship really starts happening!

19 replies since 23/11/2010, 13:23   1377 views