HIMYM - S06e23 - Landmarks on air 2011, May 9

Discussion post mortem - recaps - reviews - clips - caps

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

How I Met Your Mother - Episode 6.23 - Landmarks - Press Release

CITAZIONE

TED MAKES AN IMPORTANT DECISION THAT ULTIMATELY AFFECTS HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH ZOEY, ON "HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER," MONDAY, MAY 9

"Landmarks" - When Ted is faced with an important decision that might affect his future with Zoey, the gang expresses their true feelings about her, on HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, Monday, May 9 (8:00-8:30 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

SERIES REGULARS:
    Ted.............................................. Josh Radnor
    Marshall........................................ Jason Segel
    Barney................................ Neil Patrick Harris
    Lily........................................ Alyson Hannigan
    Robin ..................................... Cobie Smulders

RECURRING CAST
    Narrator.......................................... Bob Saget
    Zoey..................................... Jennifer Morrison
    Arthur....................................... Bob Odenkirk

GUEST CAST:
    Mr. Horvath........................... Peter Mackenzie
    Ninja............................................. Eijiro Ozaki
    Virginia....................................... Cristina Rose
    Jane............................................... Julie Meyer

WRITTEN BY: Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, co-creators and executive producers
    DIRECTED BY: Pamela Fryman

souce: CBS

All promotional still #1 - Promotional still - Jennifer Morrison - Promo #1 - Sneak Peek #1

Edited by Aleki77 - 10/5/2011, 00:27

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

HIMYM Post Mortem: Jennifer Morrison, Josh Radnor Weigh In on the (Sad?) Ted/Zoey Split

Megan Masters

Zoey, we hardly knew ye.

Actually, we did get to know Jennifer Morrison‘s How I Met Your Mother alter ego pretty well over her lengthy guest spot on the CBS sitcom, and honestly, we’re still not quite sure how we feel about the environmental guru. But as of this Monday night, she and Ted are officially kaput, and we had the pleasure of being on set for the divine Miss M’s departure.

Here’s what the House alumna and onscreen ex Josh Radnor had to say about their “emotional” goodbye, and whether they’d ever hoped Zoey might actually be the titular mystery mom.

TVLINE | How are the two of you feeling about Zoey’s How I Met Your Mother exit?
    Morrison: I don’t think it’s real. [Laughs] I feel so at home here. It’s weird to think that I’m not coming back every week. When we shot the breakup, we all thought that this was really depressing.
    Radnor: Jennifer and I “broke up” last night, and it was actually really sad because I’m sad to see her go. I like having her around, she’s great.

TVLINE | Would you say that the actual breakup was a fitting goodbye for the embattled duo?
    Morrison: I think so. In life, there are those relationships where you really love someone, but they’re just not right for you and there’s a little bittersweet feel to it. But still, you know you’re doing the right thing. [Editor's Note: Morrison's Zoey makes a brief appearance in the season finale airing Monday, May 16.]

TVLINE | Did you ever think that Zoey might actually become “the mother” — even though the odds were stacked against that theory?
    Morrison: I’m a fan of the show and had been watching from the beginning, so I’d done the math from all of the clues and felt like it would be really difficult to justify Zoey being the mom. If she’d been married to The Captain (Kyle MacLachlan) that long, it’d be impossible for her to have been Cindy’s (Rachel Bilson) roommate. So, I had a feeling that Zoey wasn’t the mother, but it was just such a natural fit that I never wanted to leave. “I don’t have to be the mother, just make me their buddy!” [Laughs]
    Radnor: I don’t really know what I thought. I don’t obsess over those questions like most people do because for me it’s better to play a character forward and a little more naively because that’s what the character is going through. I don’t have the insight that Narrator Ted has. One of the nice things about the show is that we revealed a few episodes back that Zoey and Ted split up and that it did not go well, so we knew it was coming. A lot of the show is about accepting change, and this season in particular has been about growing up, saying goodbye to childish things — like a relationship that isn’t going anywhere.

TVLINE | Now, Josh, the ultimate question: Will Ted ever find true love? And do you look forward to being able to play that?
    Radnor: I feel very close to Ted. He’s someone I care about and I want him to be OK, I want him to land on his feet. So from that perspective, I hope someone — whether it’s the mother or not — shows up when she’s supposed to, and everything works out.

Hit the comments with your thoughts on Zoey’s departure, and Ted’s future with the ladies.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/himym-radnor...d-zoey-breakup/

3. jennwithapen
        +1   -1

User deleted

I did not love this episode. In my opinion, the entire Zoey/Ted relationship was played out like a joke. It never felt serious to me. And I didn't really buy that they were ever in love. Oh well. Moving on...haha.

4. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Review: 'How I Met Your Mother' - 'Landmarks': How I hate your Zoey

By Alan Sepinwall - Ted and Zoey's relationship reaches a breaking point in a terrible episode

Monday, May 9, 2011 9:45 PM
    A review of tonight's "How I Met Your Mother" coming up just as soon as I tell you what rhymes with "beck and call"...

I am torn. A part of me wants to dispense with my commentary on "Landmarks" as quickly as possible, as it was both the culmination of the worst story arc in the history of the series and pretty awful as an individual episode. (At one point, I was sorely tempted to rewind back to the writing credits to be sure I wasn't imagining things when I saw this was a Bays/Thomas script.) But Zoey's gone now, and I'm tempted to use Ted's parting line - "Sometimes, things have to fall apart to make way for better things" - as a cleanser and just try to hope that next week's finale is better, and that next season's big story arc is vastly better and not just more wheel-spinning to justify the two-year renewal.

Another part of me, though, wants to write a very long and angry screed about why Zoey was such a gross miscalculation, and why even the episode that kicked her to the curb was pretty lousy.

The first part wants to win, simply because I have too much else I'd rather be doing than dwelling on this mess, but the second part feels like this shouldn't stand without one final comment. So, in the spirit of reconciling my two parts, here's an abbreviated screed:

I don't care in the slightest that Zoey wasn't the Mother. I care that she was both an unfunny character and a fairly unpleasant one, someone who was selfish and manipulative and completely destructive to the harmony of the group, and yet someone the show largely let off the hook for all of that. Even in this final episode, Robin had to couch her instructions to Ted with a "We love Zoey, but..."-style softpedal, which is nonsense. Zoey was horrible. Even her real reason for wanting to save the Arcadian was horrible, revealing her once again to be a hypocrite motivated not by ideals but purely self-serving motives.

I'd have been okay with it if Bays and Thomas had decided to take the characters to a place where Zoey had the group on the verge of splintering - where somehow it was okay for Marshall to betray Ted, and then for Ted to betray Barney, and everyone to hate each other - only for Robin or Lily to stand up and say, "You know what, Ted? I was gonna let this thing with Zoey go. I didn't like her and I think she was completely wrong for you and would make you unhappy, but I wasn't going to interfere because it's not my place to do so" - okay, maybe Lily wouldn't have said that last part - "but now she's going to ruin all of us, and she is so not worth that." It still wouldn't have rendered the previous umpteen Zoey episodes palatable, but it at least could have been an interesting, emotionally-satisfying end. Instead, Zoey was largely forgiven her transgressions, even as she busted out the tape she made of Ted in the museum episode. Blech.

Of course, such a speech also wouldn't have worked because Bays and Thomas seemed so weirdly afraid of the emotions of their own story, consistently undercutting what should have been big moments with jokes - and really lame jokes, at that. Robin trying to make a big point to Ted while admitting that she neither plays chess in the park, nor online, nor can even figure out how to download Angry Birds? What the hell was that? Or Barney and Arthur both cursing themselves as they remembered their ironic promises in the flashback? Gah. As we've seen a number of times this season alone, this is a show that usually has no problem turning off the laughtrack machine for the sake of a beat about the characters. Here, though, it was like everyone realized at the last minute how much the audience had grown to hate Zoey, and so they hastily threw in whatever punchlines they could think of to work within those scenes.

I'm just not sure what the thinking behind any of this was. These guys have not completely lost their fastball; the arcs involving Marshall and Barney's dads was a reminder of that. But Zoey was just wrong-headed from start (Ted getting in the middle of an unhappy marriage) to finish (this). And if this is what every non-Mother relationship Ted has from now until the time Bays and Thomas either commit to an endgame or accept that the show can function just fine with the Mother as an ongoing part of the show, then I'd rather the guy check into a monastery between now and then.

I've seen shows even this season redeem a lousy season with a great finale (hi, "Sons of Anarchy"!), so the naive optimist in me wants to think that we'll come back next week and we'll maybe deal with the wedding, Ted will maybe meet the Mother (even if he doesn't realize that's who she is yet) and the show will finally evolve after a couple of very problematic seasons. Right now, though, I'm both angry and mystified.

What the hell was that? And how did they not only think this was a good idea at the start of the season, but as it became clear early and often how much it wasn't working? Even if they had Jennifer Morrison under contract for more episodes than the character wound up being worth, they could have pivoted and made lemonade out of this - turned Zoey into an outright villain or something to keep her around while embracing the loathsomeness of the character. Instead, they just kept scrambling and scrambling and scrambling to make it work, and even the promise of an epic break-up didn't really come to pass, as things closed with a whimper.

Mini-screed over. (And it wound up being longer than I had planned.) Bad bad bad bad bad.

What did everybody else think?

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-wat...-hate-your-zoey

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

New 'HIMYM': Ted and Zoey Split

May 10th, 2011 10:25am EDT

While it was already pretty clear that Zoey (Jennifer Morrison) was not the mother, it became official in last night’s episode, “Landmarks.”

I was very excited when I heard that HIMYM’s creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas wrote this episode. Ted is said to be loosely based on Bays and Marshall (Jason Segel) is said to be loosely based on Thomas. Bays and Thomas (pictured right) have written many of the best episodes of the series. They have shown their talents with classics like “The Pineapple Incident” and “The Playbook” and powerful episodes like “Last Words” when the gang attended Marshall’s father’s funeral earlier this season.

The episode “Landmarks” centers around a hearing by the committee that will determine whether The Arcadian will become a New York City landmark. Ted (Josh Radnor) had been torn between the girl he loves, Zoey, who was the driving force behind preserving the building, and his career; since GNB had chosen to build the new HQ he designed on the site of the Arcadian.

In one of the best scenes of the year, the architect of the Arcadian appears to Ted while he is sleeping and tells Ted that the building has passed its prime and must make way for bigger and better things. Ted originally thinks that it is just Barney in a costume playing a trick on him, but when he wakes up realizes that it actually was in his own head, and makes his decision.

When the head of the committee finally asks Ted, “Should the Arcadian be a landmark?” he pauses and finally says, “No, there are many great buildings in New York, and the Arcadian is not one of them.” Zoey quickly runs up to the stage and plays a recording of a conversation they had earlier this season, in which Ted talks about how the lionhead stonework is iconic. The committee chair asks Ted if that is his voice, as he confesses that it is.

I have to say that this whole ordeal was very suspenseful. If you have been reading my reviews, you know that I have not been a big fan of the Ted-Zoey relationship. The fact that Zoey would even bring the recording to the hearing shows that she was never trustworthy and that preserving the building was always her #1 priority.

There was still nearly half of the episode left, and there was plenty more good stuff to come. As it turns out, Ted also trashed GNB on the recording, so now Ted and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) who stuck up for Ted in the first place had their jobs on the line. They needed a plan, and Lilly had just the thing.

Lily (Alyson Hannigan), despite her soft appearance, has shown she can be cutthroat when necessary. Lily whispers her plan the gang, and it’s on. They say that they have to find Arthur, the GNB boss, and unleash the strategy.

When the committee reconvenes, the chairman says that they were moved by Ted’s thoughts on the masonry work, especially the lion head. He said that they were ready to declare it a landmark, but they received news that the lionhead had mysteriously disappeared. In wake of the new events, the motion failed, and GNB was given permission to go forward.

Zoey confronts Ted outside. Ted sticks to his guns and says that the Arcadian has reached its end. Zoey storms off, and Ted says, “This is over.”

Bays and Thomas did not disappoint me with this one. The jokes were funny, the drama was suspenseful, and the story was winding and surprising. I can’t say enough how glad I am that both Ted is able to go forward with both his dream of adding to the Manhattan skyline and his quest to find the love of his life, the mother of his children. I do have to admit that there is a little bit of a sour taste though. The gang had to resort to some rather shady measures to get what they wanted. Do the ends justify the means?

Next week on CBS Monday at 8/7c is the season 6 finale “Challenge Accepted.” This episode was also written by show creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas. For any fans that were curious, I have listed all of the episodes that were written by Bays and Thomas below.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/Kevin_Olsta/..._medium=twitter

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

How I Met Your Mother - Episode 6.23 - Landmarks

Caps HHQs - Jennifer Morrison

Part 1

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

7. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

How I Met Your Mother - Episode 6.23 - Landmarks

Caps HHQs - Jennifer Morrison

Part 2

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

8. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison in Landmarks - How I Met Your Mother S06e23 - clip

www.megavideo.com/?v=J6AEVNOO

9. MVitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

even if I laughed twice I found the ep very tasteless...

I don't like how the affair with Ted ends... and I don't like that they have misused the comedic potential of JMO and the character of Zoey.
    My brother said he was happy when they broke up... he likes JMO, her acting and can separate her from Zoey but the Zoey arc totally sucks, I agree :(

I have to wait the last ep but... if nothing better will pop up I think the writers ruin a season that started in a good way and probably I'll leave for good.

JMO is great, HIMYM was a good sitcom but the combination that I dreamt of for so long didn't work out well.

10. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

QUOTE (MVitto @ 11/5/2011, 21:13) 
    I have to wait the last ep but... if nothing better will pop up I think the writers ruin a season that started in a good way and probably I'll leave for good.

JMO is great, HIMYM was a good sitcom but the combination that I dreamt of for so long didn't work out well.

I agree very much, Vitto. I know that I may offend some people, but I see HIMYM as a show that has "jumped the shark." The writers/producers, in their efforts to replicate FRIENDS, seem to now just be stringing along the show's legions of loyal followers and there is no milk left in the cow.

11. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

the episode wasn't funny
    where is the horrible breakup?
    and I don't understand her big role to find the mother ...
    and they said she'll just make an apparition in the last episode

12. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

the link megavideo doesn't work

11 replies since 14/4/2011, 22:50   636 views