OUAT - S01E01 - Pilot

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time - Episode 1.01 - Pilot - Press Release

CITAZIONE

BRACE YOURSELF FOR A MODERN FABLE WITH THRILLING TWISTS AND HINTS OF DARKNESS, AS THE EPIC BATTLE FOR THE FUTURE OF OUR WORLD AND THE FAIRYTALE WORLD BEGINS, ON THE PREMIERE OF ABC'S "ONCE UPON A TIME"

Master storytellers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz ("Lost," "Tron: Legacy") invite you to brace yourself for a modern fairytale with thrilling twists and hints of darkness, brimming with wonder and filled with the magic of our most beloved stories, on the premiere of "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

And they lived happily ever after...or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old bail bondsperson who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when Henry -- the son she gave up years ago -- finds her, everything changes. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes from an alternate world and is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen's curse, which trapped the characters of fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them into our modern world.

In the premiere episode, "Pilot," not believing a word of Henry's story, Emma brings him back to Storybrooke, but finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for him, she decides to stay for a while, but soon comes to suspect that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close...where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were, and where the Evil Queen, known as Regina, is now Henry's foster mother. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, and for good to win, Emma will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell.

"Once Upon a Time" stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold, Lana Parrilla as Evil Queen/Regina, Jared Gilmore as Henry Mills, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/John Doe and Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket/Archie Hopper.

Guest starring in "Pilot" are Jamie Dornan as Sheriff Graham, Lee Arenberg as Grumpy/Leroy, David-Paul Grove as Doc, Peter Bryant as jailer, Tony Amendola as Geppetto/Marco, Meghan Ory as Ruby/Red Riding Hood, Warren Christie as Ryan, Beverley Elliott as Granny, Darren Dolynski as nervous guard, Keith Dallas as cabbie, Tom Pickett as bishop, Darla Fay as old woman, James Bamford as Black Knight and Keegan Connor Tracy as Blue Fairy.

"Pilot" was written by Edward Kitsis & Adam Horowitz and directed by Mark Mylod.

Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz are creators and executive producers of "Once Upon a Time." Steven Pearlman is also executive producer. The show is from ABC Studios.

"Once Upon a Time" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format with a 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-PG,L,V parental guideline.

www.spoilertv.com/2011/10/once-upon...ilot-press.html

th_OUATS01E01001 th_OUATS01E01002 th_OUATS01E01003 th_OUATS01E01004 th_OUATS01E01005 th_OUATS01E01006 th_OUATS01E01007 th_OUATS01E01008 th_OUATS01E01009 th_OUATS01E01010 th_OUATS01E01011 th_OUATS01E01012 th_OUATS01E01013 th_OUATS01E01014 th_OUATS01E01015 th_OUATS01E01016 th_OUATS01E01017 th_OUATS01E01018 th_OUATS01E01019 th_OUATS01E01020 th_OUATS01E01021 th_OUATS01E01022 th_OUATS01E01023 th_OUATS01E01024 th_OUATS01E01025 th_OUATS01E01026 th_OUATS01E01027 th_OUATS01E01028 th_OUATS01E01029 th_OUATS01E01030 th_OUATS01E01031 th_OUATS01E01032 th_OUATS01E01033 th_OUATS01E01034 th_OUATS01E01035 th_OUATS01E01036

Edited by Aleki77 - 25/10/2011, 16:34

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Kim's TV Review: ONCE UPON A TIME - Pilot Episode

By Kimberly Houston
    Published: October 3, 2011 - 8:04am

Lost producers, Edward Kitsis​ and Adam Horowitz, have delivered a series that really met my expectations and more. The trailers did bring to mind one of my favorite comic series by Bill Willingham titled Fables. However, this new TV show really does stand out on it's own and so far, delivers a great story that left me counting the days until episode two.

CITAZIONE
    And they all lived happily ever after – or so everyone was led to believe. Emma Swan knows how to take care of herself. She's a 28-year-old bail bonds collector who's been on her own ever since she was abandoned as a baby. But when the son she gave up years ago finds her, everything starts to change. Henry is now 10 years old and in desperate need of Emma's help. He believes that Emma actually comes from an alternate world and is Snow White​​ and Prince Charming​​'s missing daughter. According to his book of fairytales, they sent her away to protect her from the Evil Queen​​'s curse, which trapped the fairytale world forever, frozen in time, and brought them into our modern world.

Of course Emma doesn't believe a word, but when she brings Henry back to Storybrooke, she finds herself drawn to this unusual boy and his strange New England town. Concerned for Henry, she decides to stay for a while, but she soon suspects that Storybrooke is more than it seems. It's a place where magic has been forgotten, but is still powerfully close… where fairytale characters are alive, even though they don't remember who they once were. The epic battle for the future of all worlds is beginning, but for good to win, Emma will have to accept her destiny and fight like hell.

For those who have seen the trailer or read the synopsis, many have made the comparison to Vertigo's Fables but I can assure you the pilot has already shown how the two tales differ. Both manage to grip the viewer to where you're dying to see what happens next.

In the new ABC series, the various fairy tale personae we grew up knowing have been transported to our world to live out their days in the dark of their true selves. They never age and they are kept from their happily ever afters. The story shifts from our world to the fairytale world, piecing together the storyline. In the pilot, it's revealed how the characters ended up here along with how Emma came into the world, does not age and so on. The pilot does a great job of setting up the foundation for the series. There is no need for a two part episode introduction into the series and there was no feeling of being rushed through the basics just so the writers can move forward. Everything in the pilot was paced wonderfully, including ending on quite a high note to where I was disappointed the hour was up.

I have really enjoyed the casting in the show especially Ginnifer Goodwin​ who has impressed me since her role as Margene Heffman in Big Love. She once again delivers as Snow White and really drew me into her character as did Jennifer Morrison​ as Emma Swan. Emma is not only a great character/heroine but Jennifer Morrison also brings a certain charisma to the character that hooks you to her instantly.

Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin AKA Mr. Gold is creepy and definitely delivers the vileness of the role which makes you realize that Lana Parrilla's Regina/Evil Queen is not the only baddie in Storybrooke. Parrilla's performance at first, I thought, was weak but by mid-episode it seems she found her footing in the role. The best part about the pilot to me was definitely the scenes between Joshua Dallas (Prince Charming) and Ginnifer Goodwin. These two just had fantastic chemistry. They were convincing as a couple who were deeply in love. In the scene when the Evil Queen is unleashing her curse to transport the characters to our world, Prince Charming must rush to save their daughter from the curse. From the time that he kisses Snow White for the last time to when he brings the baby to safety is some of the most emotional viewing I've seen on TV. I was wiping away tears watching it all. I can't wait to see more from these two and I hope we won't have to wait long to see them in scenes together again.

The pilot blends great storytelling with action and emotion. The fairy tale world is visually stunning with its costumes and scenery. The characters and story, though fictional, are very real and compelling. Overall, a fun episode that I can't wait to watch again as I look forward to more episodes.

Starring Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Sister Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Robert Carlyle as Rumpelstiltskin/Mr. Gold, Lana Parrilla as Evil Queen/Regina, Jamie Dornan as Sheriff Graham, Jared Gilmore as Henry, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/John Doe​ and Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket/Archie.

Once Upon a Time is scheduled to premiere on Sunday, October 23 at 8/7c on ABC.

http://dailyblam.com/news/2011/09/02/kims-...2%80%9D-episode

3. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time Full Episode on IMBD

www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi3101793817/

4. jennwithapen
        +1   -1

User deleted

Sooooo good!! After I watched it, I had to google some of the fairy tale characters to get their back story because I had forgotten! Interested to see what happens next!

5. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

Ohhh, Aleki, thank you so much for this!! :D :D :D I couldn't wait until Sunday, and this is so much better without the annoying commercials. Jennifer is super! :D :D :D

Call me stupid, among other adjectives, but can anyone explain to me what is all of that writing on her apartment door? :huh:

6. jennwithapen
        +1   -1

User deleted

QUOTE (comotion @ 21/10/2011, 16:35) 
    can anyone explain to me what is all of that writing on her apartment door? :huh:

I was wondering the same thing...I think it's just some creative decorating ;-)

7. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE (jennwithapen @ 21/10/2011, 22:41) 
    CITAZIONE (comotion @ 21/10/2011, 16:35) 
    can anyone explain to me what is all of that writing on her apartment door? :huh:

yes, me too. it's mt same thing ... like Victoria's armchair in revenge :grandeio:

8. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

QUOTE (Aleki77 @ 21/10/2011, 22:59) 
    QUOTE (jennwithapen @ 21/10/2011, 22:41) 

yes, me too. it's mt same thing ... like Victoria's armchair in revenge :grandeio:

Ahhh, I see. You two come up with the best answers. Thanks. :)

9. -ELY-
        +1   -1

User deleted

Just so it., right after "The Grimm" :P
    It's good, the story is intersting, and I like fairytales, so... I just hope they'll mix all the fairy characters well.

10. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

As much as I enjoyed seeing this first ep in advance (I will also watch it "live" in just a few hours), I am perplexed as to why ABC would allow this advance screening on IMDB. Maybe they couldn't prevent it, but if they could, then wouldn't it have been better to hold off releasing it in order to preserve the ratings' numbers? :huh:

Looking forward to reading more comments from our Forum members about this first episode. :)

11. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

but if before I can see the promotional video on the ABC, now they are not to let me to watch them, even changing the proxy. and now, the promo, on IMDB, is visible only in the U.S. :o: <_< -_- :angry: :wacko: :blink: :unsure:

12. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Sunday October 23, 2011

Did Once Upon a Time Work Its Magic on You? Plus: What Questions Do You Have?

After months of buzz that seemed to last ever after, ABC premiered its fantastical new drama, Once Upon a Time, this Sunday night. If you checked it out, what did you think of it?
    Once (as we, if only for headline-writing purposes, hope it will affectionately be called) used its pilot to establish that the Evil Queen of fairy tale lore, on Snow White and Prince Charming’s wedding day, announced her plan to unleash a powerful curse upon the Enchanted Forest. But before the darkness descended, Snow and friends arranged to use an enchanted tree, fashioned by Gepetto and Pinocchio into a wardrobe, to safeguard one of them from the curse. As it would turn out, that escapee was Snow’s newborn daughter, Emma, whom Rumpelstiltskin (a scene-stealing Robert Carlyle) foretold to be the one person who could one day undo the evil curse.
    Cut to: Modern-day Boston, where “bail bondsperson” Emma Swan is tracked down by a young lad named Henry. Toting a book of fairy tales, Henry reveals that he is the son Emma gave up for adoption 10 years prior, and he urges her to go with him to Storybrooke, Maine, where the onetime residents of the Enchanted Forest now live with no memory of their true identities or previous existence.
    In Storybrooke, Emma immediately clashes swords with Henry’s adoptive mother, Regina — aka the town’s domineering mayor fka the Evil Queen. Then, when Henry goes missing, Emma meets Mary Margret Blanchard (nee Snow White), whom she does not know is her own mother. Upon finding Henry (at his “castle”) and trading sob stories with him, Emma decides to stay in town, this despite Regina’s threat to “destroy” her, “if it’s the last thing I do.”
    What did you think of Once Upon a Time? Was it just fair or… fair, fairy good? Other discussion topics:
    * How many Lost references did you pick up on? (E.g. Regina’s street address is 108, the clock was frozen at 8:15, a Geronimo Jackson bumper sticker on Emma’s Beetle…)
    * Did you pick up on Granny’s goth-y granddaughter, Ruby, being Red Riding Hood? The jail cell grump being Grumpy?
    * Next week, we will get the Evil Queen’s backstory, complete with the debut of Breaking Bad guy Giancarlo Esposito as the Magic Mirror (and a Storybrooke news reporter). And in Episode 3, we see how Snow met her prince. Whose backstory do you also hope to see soon?
    * Off the bat, who is your favorite character, from either world?

http://m.tvline.com/2011/10/once-upon-a-ti...ap-reader-poll/

Edited by Aleki77 - 24/10/2011, 06:29

13. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'Once Upon a Time' Premiere: What the Viewers Are Saying

The fairy-tale themed show, starring Ginnifer Goodwin and Jennifer Morrison, debuted Sunday night on ABC.

Viewers got their first look at ABC's new fairy tale-themed series Once Upon a Time on Sunday night.

In the show, from creator/executive producers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz (Lost), fairy tales and the modern world collide, and classic characters get reimagined.

Jennifer Morrison plays a modern-day bail bondswoman whose world is thrown when a precocious 10-year-old (Jared Gilmore) shows up and declares himself her son. He carries a book of fairy tales and says that Emma needs to come to Storybrooke -- home to Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin), Prince Charming (Josh Dallas) and the Evil Queen (Lana Parrilla) -- to help break a spell he believed he Evil Queen put on them so that now they have forgotten who they are.

Morrison, for one, was excited about the show's 8 p.m. premiere. She tweeted Sunday: "On my way to watch ONCE UPON A TIME with the cast and crew in Vancouver!!!!"

Fellow ABC star Eva Longoria also urged viewers to watch: "Oh I forgot to tell everyone to watch Once Upon a Time tonight on ABC right before Desperate Housewives! U will love it!! Then watch another great episode of DH!"

So what did viewers think of the show?

Actress Julia Benson (SGU Stargate Universe) was a fan, giving praise to one of her former Stargate co-stars.

"Robert Carlyle and the whole cast of Once Upon a Time were great tonight, I really enjoyed the pilot and will definitely tune in next week!" she tweeted.

The show also was praised by several other viewers on Twitter, while still others said they were withholding judgment until they see more. Among the reactions:

Jenifer Thigpen
    Just watched the new ABC show "Once Upon A Time" from the creators of LOST, my favorite show of all time. I love it already!

Paulina Gretzky
    OnceUpon A Time is amazing! #IBelieveInFairytales

Jax &Tara Fans
    OnceUpon a Time was interesting. Think I'll tune in again next week.

Emma Caulfield
    The Walking Dead, Once Upon a Time and Homeland.. so basically I'm never going anywhere on Sunday nights again.

Ingrid Díaz
    What is this Once Upon a Time thing everyone on my Twitter feed is watching?

Ben B
    OnceUpon a Time, despite being kind of dark, is still whimsical.

Clarissa Bowen
    I enjoyed Once Upon A Time. Thought it might be corny but it has some promise... We'll see.

Loud Mouth Pastor
    OnceUpon A Time was gurrreat!

Sunny Chanel
    Once Upon a Time Grimm: What’s Up With These Fairy Tale Shows That Arent for Kids

Jackson Porter
    OnceUpon A Time was highly enjoyable!

Allison Lee
    Oh gosh tears everywhere, watching Once Upon A Time.

Enrique Menendez
    Wow, one more show I like: Once Upon a Time

Lucie Simone
    Who saw the premier of Once Upon A Time? I liked it!

Tim Jaggers
    The odds of Once Upon a Time being canceled are low since it is not a Joss Whedon show on Fox.

Anonymous
    I recommend Grimm over Once Upon a Time, presently. Supposing Grimm keeps tension up and tightens lines of logic, may like better than SPN.

Chris W.
    Just watched "Once Upon A Time"...not bad, but I give it a month.

Anthony Moses
    Just watched ABC's new show Once Upon A Time. Very interesting! I can tell that I'm going to love it. I hope it gets several seasons.

Mikey
    Onceupon a time....#newfavoriteshow

Mandy Bennett
    Just watched an amzing new program called "Once upon a Time" it's from the writers of Lost! It's superb ♡♥☆★♡♥

Simonetta Pastorini
    I really liked the pilot of Once Upon A Time!

Amanda Whaley
    Watched once upon a time and it was really good!

Leslie
    Crud. I forgot to record Once Upon A Time. Grrr. I've had the premiere date on the calendar for 2 months, yet didn't set the TiVo.

Mike and Ike
    Watched Once Upon a Time tonight. Not perfect, but I like the cast.

Melissa Hay
    Totally loved Once Upon A Time. Definitely up my alley.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed...-goodwin-252319

14. pandora1308
        +1   -1

User deleted

I think the pilot was amazing. The whole cast is great, the writing wonderful.
    And I hope the show runs for many seasons, even though I want to watch it all at once because I think my heart can't handle this much suspense week after week after week.

15. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'Once Upon a Time' series premiere recap: The Witch and the Wardrobe

The Evil Queen casts a curse; meanwhile, bail bonds collector Emma Swan has a terrible birthday

By Shaunna Murphy

When I was little, my green felt copy of Grimm's Fairy Tales felt magical. I never thought the stories were real, and I never really clung to the whole princess thing, either. (I was a Pink Power Ranger type of kid.) Still, there was always something about those stories that felt ancient and mysterious, but also familiar and comforting at the same time. The good guy won, the princess was saved by her doting prince, they paid all of their bills on time, and the big bad disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again.

Unfortunately for little Henry, this is not the case in the upside-down world of Once Upon a Time. If you didn't have time to tune in last night, I apologize in advance if this recap sounds like an especially disturbing chapter from The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. But I don't think that Ken Kesey could have dreamed this one up. No, this is the kind of television that could only come from the minds behind Lost. Flashbacks and destinies? Don't mind if I do!

It all began on a relative high note. The prince galloped through an enchantingly beautiful forest, searching for his missing princess. He found the immaculate Snow White dead in a coffin, surrounded by her grieving, vertically challenged comrades. It was sad, but Ginnifer Goodwin looked super fly in her virginal Snow White coffin gear. Well done! The prince sweetly kissed her, bringing her back from the dead as a burst of magic rippled through the forest. "You found me," she said in a daze. "Did you ever doubt I would?" he puffed. "Truthfully? The last coffin gave me pause."

We then flashed to a castle chapel somewhere in Fairytale, where Snow and Prince were getting hitched. What joy! Snow's castle was pretty, but it didn't hold a candle to the stunning and intimidating Eyrie or even Winterfell on Game of Thrones. Captivating scenery can be important on moody, stylistic shows like this. We're living in crazy times. But okay, it gets brownie points for the Lisa Frank-colored stained-glass windows.

So in stormed the Evil Queen, wearing a remarkable outfit that managed to incorporate a tall hat, a veil, pointy shoulder pads, feathers, and a bustier. Snow pulled Prince's longsword on her longtime foe, but the Queen's plan was already in motion. "You've made your vows, now I make mine," she cackled. "Soon, everything you love -- everything all of you love, will be taken from you forever. And out of your suffering will rise my victory. I shall destroy your happiness if it is the last thing I do!" The people of Fairytale panicked as the Queen turned into the Smoke Monster and exited the premises. Game on.

Now I don't mean to get all Fringe here, but I don't know how to make these frequent universe-shifts easily understandable without calling our universe the Prime. So, after the wedding, we made our first visit to the Prime universe. There we saw a little boy, Henry, reading a book of fairy tales in a cab, and House's Jennifer Morrison looking super, super fly at a swanky Boston restaurant. Date night! Conveniently, this little blind date provided a healthy dose of exposition. She told the guy that her name was Emma, that it was her birthday, and that she had no friends or family to spend it with. This would probably be a red-flag for most men, but Emma looked amazing in that dress. "You are the sexiest friendless orphan I have ever met," he gushed. Before I had a chance to think that this was her happy meet cute, she revealed herself as a cutthroat bailbondsperson and took him down.

But despite the violence it was still her birthday, you see, and what good is a birthday without cake? Emma went home to light a candle for herself, and I think we were supposed to feel bad for her for being alone and sad and whatnot. The inherent problem in this was that Emma's apartment was absolutely amazing. Floor to ceiling windows, stainless steel appliances, and a view. Also, it was a corner unit! She must be a very talented bailbondsperson. I wouldn't need friends if that were my place, either.

Emma lit the candle, and enjoyed what would be her last moment of peace on this crazy, crazy show. Then, in came Hurricane Henry! Henry is sweet, but also seriously damaged and impressively direct and well-spoken for a kid his age. In other words, kids are probably brutal to him at school. He stormed in to Emma's pad and said something like this: "Mom! Happy effing birthday. You gave me up for adoption ten years ago and now you need to come home to Storybrook, ME with me, or else I'll call the cops and say you kidnapped me." Then he drank her juice straight from the container. Emma's face was an appropriate mix of "huh?" and "this is terrible."

Despite the unfortunate nature of her situation and the legal closed-ness of her adoption, Emma decided to drive Henry all the way back to Maine. Her icy, single white urban woman female was melting already! She noticed the book of stories during the ride, and Henry casually mentioned that Emma was a main character. Right.

Back in Fairytale, a now very pregnant Snow expressed her concerns to Prince. Prince thought that the Queen's threats were baseless, and besides, she wasn't technically a Queen anymore, anyway. Snow wasn't so sure. "She poisoned an apple because she thought I was prettier than her." This was a reasonable argument. To be safe, Prince and Snow made a terribly cheesy visit to a terribly cheesy dungeon to see Rumpelstiltskin. At this point I don't know what to make of him. The concept of the show is pretty silly to begin with, but the presence of solid actors like Ginnifer Goodwin and Giancarlo Esposito, as well as the Lost writing team, gives it a fighting chance. I just need them to tone down the stuff with the fairies and the ridiculous dialogue and the Rumpelstiltskin.

Anyway, Rumpelstiltskin explained that the Queen's curse would take away their time, banishing them to someplace horrible. They would lose everything they had ever loved, and the Queen would laugh. Oh, she would laugh! I think it was Gore Vidal who said, "It is not enough to succeed. Others must fail." The Queen is a completely motiveless villain at this point. She wants nothing but Chaos, Absolute. She's the Joker, but with a push-up bra. The outlook wasn't good, but Rumpelstiltskin offered a glimmer of hope: if Snow would reveal the name of her unborn daughter, then she could save them on her 28th birthday. The child's name? Emma.

Back in the Prime-verse, Emma (on her 28th birthday!) and Henry pulled up to Storybrook. Henry explained that the town's Back to the Future-eque clock hadn't moved in years, and laid out the details of the curse. "An evil queen sent a bunch of fairytale characters here?" Emma replied. "Frozen in time, stuck in Storybrook, Maine? That's what you're going with?" Yes, yes it was. Also, the cursed couldn't leave town, lest "bad things happen." Then, Henry's psychologist appeared out of nowhere. He expressed concern for the boy's well-being, and pointed Emma to his mother's house. His mother, the mayor's house. This mysterious man's identity, you ask? Jiminy Cricket.

... And then there he was, again, at an urgent roundtable discussion back in Fairytale land. "The animals are abuzz with the Queen's plan!" Ha. A busty blue fairy flew in, explaining that a magic tree with a magic wardrobe would keep one citizen of Fairytale safe. This was obviously going to be Emma.

Back in Maine, Henry was freaking out about going home, because his adoptive mother didn't love him. Emma wasn't having it. When she arrived at the largest, most regal-looking house on the block, the Queen ran out. But of course! I'm curious as to why the Queen would include herself in this curse, since she made it so clear that she felt that Maine was a terrible, terrible place. Does she need to be close to them to watch over the whole thing, or did she just get bored all by herself in Fairytale?

"I found my real mom," Henry spat to the Queen-slash-Mayor, whose name in this universe is Regina. Regina was angry, and most of it was directed at the child-thief Emma. "How would you like a glass of the best apple cider you ever tasted?" she said. Emma, still understandably freaked, declined in favor of something stronger. She sipped her drink, and mentioned Henry's obsession with the book to his obviously uptight and controlling mother. Regina's eyes were concerned, but her mouth said she didn't know anything about it. So, at this point, it seems like the Queen is the only one in town who knows about the curse. Emma left for Boston, but she didn't get very far. She noticed that sneaky Henry placed the book in her car, and then saw a beautiful wolf in the middle of the road. She swerved to avoid it, but crashed. Yikes; that's a DUI.

The next morning, Emma ran into Gepetto and Grumpy at the local jail. Gepetto was now a sad old man with no children, and Grumpy was a grumpy local hooligan named Leroy. Emma was released by Regina when Henry went missing again, and their search led them to Henry's teacher, Sister Mary Margaret Blanchard (Snow White). In cursed Maine, Snow White has short hair and a sad, wistful face. She's a little bit depressing, maybe. Also, she was passive-aggressively rude to Emma about giving giving Henry up for adoption. She said he needs the stories; he only clings to them because he's sad. In fact, he constantly wrestles with the question, "Why would anyone give me away?" Hey! Pot kettle, Mary Margaret.

But, hey, she didn't know. In Fairytale, Snow went into labor as the Queen's carriage, and the curse crept closer. Snow was initially going to enter the wardrobe to save herself and Emma, but it could only be one of them now. That, of course, would still be Emma. "Find us!" the Prince said as he locked his newborn in the wardrobe. She disappeared to New England, just as the Queen's henchmen arrived to kill her dad. Snow cried over his corpse as the Queen made threats and the walls came tumbling down. And so it began.

In Maine, Emma finally found Henry brooding in a different sort of castle -- one of the playground variety. He asked her to stay for just one week, and she would see that he was right. She would see that she was the only one who could save the Fairytale characters. Emma agreed to nothing. When she dropped Henry off at the Mayoral Mansion, nasty Regina commanded her to do exactly the opposite. Leave, or "I will destroy you if it's the last thing I do," she snarled. This changed Emma's mind real quick.

Emma checked in to Granny's Inn, and announced that she would be staying for a week. Granny, for her part, was distracted. She was yelling at Red Riding Hood for "sleeping her way up and down the eastern seaboard." Which is great! I know that this is a family show, but I still hope we see more of Red in the near future. She seems fun, unlike Sister Mary Margaret. Sister Mary Margaret spent her evening with unnamed comatose patients at a local hospital. One of them, the hot one, was Prince Charming. He's a John Doe in Maine. Does this mean that he wasn't dead back in Fairytale? He looked pretty dead.

Finally, Rumpelstiltskin arrived at Granny's Inn to collect a sizable bundle of rent money. He instantly took interest in Emma. "Emma.... what a lovely name," he said creepily. Granny clearly didn't trust him, but she paid him anyway, and he was on his way. His name, Granny explained, was Mr. Gold. And he owns the place. "The inn?" Emma asked. "No. The town." And that was it. She was involved now, never to look back again. Henry glanced out the window at the town clock, and saw it move for the first time in 28 years. He smiled.

So -- what did you think? I saw some promise here, and they get many points for creativity, but I'm definitely hoping that they tone down the cheesy dialogue as time goes on. The show could use a large dose of self-aware humor, as the 100 percent sincerity will get old very, very quickly. Still, I'm excited to see what happens next week. What world did you like better? Whose story interests you the most? Let us know in the comments!

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/once-upon-a-t...eries-premiere/

24 replies since 3/10/2011, 21:21   1034 views