Once Upon a Time: Interview to Jennifer Morrison

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison of 'Once Upon a Time' Is a Different Kind of Princess

Jennifer Morrison’s discovered all kinds of arcane fairy tale trivia working on her new series “Once Upon A Time.”
    “'Little Red Riding Hood' was originally called 'Little Red Cap,'” she tells PopcornBiz, showing off her newfound knowledge. “I thought that was hysterical. It kind of changes things.”
    “Once Upon a Time” kind of changes the storybook canon, too. Set in the modern day, the series follows Morrison’s character Emma Swan, a hard-edged bounty hunter sent on a journey into her own mysterious roots when she’s tracked down by Henry, the son she gave up for adoption long ago. Their reunion leads her to the seemingly idyllic small town of Storybrook, which is populated by iconic, immortal fairy tale characters, including Emma’s parents Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas), who’ve been trapped there for ages with no memory of their previous lives thanks to the curse of the Evil Queen (Lana Parilla) – who also happens to be Henry’s adoptive mother.
    “The script was so amazing,” says Morrison of the tweaked take on the classics from creators Adam Horowitz and Edward Kitsis, writers on “LOST” and “Tron: Legacy.” “I kept saying ‘I can’t believe this works, I can’t believe this works, it really totally works,’ because it's a very hard concept to articulate verbally, but when you see it, it works. Because they decided to do it in a way that the relationships were very grounded and real. You jump into this world right away because it's not stylized in a way that's off-putting. Eddie and Adam are just phenomenal writers and have been writing on some of the best shows on television for five years, so you just know you're in good hands when you’ve got a script that good and writers that are capable. Every puzzle piece was there, and it’s completely character-driven.”

After previously starring on “House” and recently having a recurring role on “How I Met Your Mother,” this is Morrison’s first taste of a series driven by a complex mythology. “Eddie and Adam are great about talking to us about the mythology and they're headed with things so that we understand exactly how to answer some of that stuff beyond what people have seen,” she explains. “I think it'll probably be intense at times.” She says that she has no concerns about the numerous questions left hanging to bedevil viewers after the first episode. “I'm thrilled, because if everything was answered in the pilot why would anyone watch the next episode. That's the point: we want people asking questions. We want people intrigued and wanting to search for those answers.”
    Morrison was also thrilled that a personal pal, Ginnifer Goodwin, had been contracted to play her mom – even though they’re contemporaries. “She was already signed on to play Snow White, and she’s a friend of mine and I wanted to work with her.” There’s also no jealousy that Goodwin gets to play the “princess” role. “But I AM a princess – I just don't know it,” Morrison reminds. “I’m a brand-new princess, and that's kind of exciting.”
    The actress admits she is definitely among the generation of women who grew up adoring Disney’s stable of princess characters, from Snow White and Cinderella to the Little Mermaid and “Beauty and the Beast’s” Belle, and is pleased that the series, which is produced and airs on Disney-owned ABC, can draw from their pop culture impact.
    “I grew up on Disney and by the time that I was 18, I'd had 27 vacations in Disneyworld,” she chuckles. “My favorites were a toss-up between Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland – I really like both of them. I was Disney all the way growing up, so it's kind of interesting to come full circle as an adult and be a part of the Disney family.”
    And for the time being, Emma will be a princess like we’ve never seen before, without a crown or fancy ball gowns. “Emma was a tough character to dress, to be honest, because she's someone who adapts to her surroundings. She's a survivor, so she becomes what she needs to become to survive which leaves her searching for identity the whole time. There's something very tough about her and also something very broken about her. She's a constant contrast and in constant conflict and she's not someone that you can sum up in a moment. So in one moment you can think she's one thing and then in the next thing she's another.”

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/blogs/popcornbiz...-131802898.html

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon A Hope: Interviewing Jennifer Morrison, “Emma” Of Once Upon A Time

Jennifer Morrison became known to millions with her role as Dr. Allison Cameron in the first six seasons of FOX's House. Now, Morrison is headed to ABC and a place called Storybrooke as the series lead, Emma Swan, in the new series Once Upon A Time.

Once premieres next week on Sunday, October 23 (read the series description here). Earlier this month, we visited the Once Upon A Time sets in Vancouver, British Columbia and have come back with interviews with most of the cast. A new interview will be rolled out every day this week on KSiteTV, so keep coming back; previous interviews can be found here.

And who is Emma Swan? Emma is a bail bondsperson in the big city who - despite being very good at what she does - is a bit lonely. She never knew her parents and grew up alone. She had a son, Henry, at a young age, and - hoping for a better life for him - she put him up for adoption. In the series pilot, Henry re-enters her life, and in bringing him home, Emma finds her way to Storybrooke. And then what? That's why you need to tune in to find out.

Until then, enjoy this interview!

Please do not reproduce this interview onto other websites. Instead, just place a link to KSiteTV! Questions to Ms. Morrison are posted in bold; her answers are not.

Most of the characters on Once Upon A Time have alternate, Fairy Tale counterparts. Is there a part of you that wishes you could have one too?

I used to say no to that, until I started seeing pictures of everybody in the forest in their pretty costumes. It's like, "really?" Nobody prints pictures of Emma. Everybody's printing pictures of these grand, glorious fairy tale moments in the forest. I was like "Man. That's pretty cool."

There's some contention between Emma and Regina, especially as Regina (the Evil Queen) is Henry's adoptive mother. Can you talk about their relationship?

Obviously the conflict between Regina and Emma is complicated because Emma does not have the intentions of taking Henry away from her, and yet Regina feels like that could happen if Emma's around for long. I think Emma holds a tremendous amount of resentment towards this woman because she feels like she was supposed to make her child's life better, and it seems like that's not happening, and there seem to be so many odd sides of this woman. So many parts of her that are so unsettling and so frustrating, and I think Emma definitely feels that need to stick around to protect Henry and try to figure out how to get to the bottom of all of this.

Also, as her maternal instincts kick in more, she gets to know her son better, and gets more and more connected to him, her conflict with Regina only intensifies.

Is there going to be interaction between Emma and "John Doe" when he comes out of his coma?

Yes. Eventually. Once he wakes up. It's a small town, and that's kind of the fun of the storytelling, is to reveal how all of these peoples' lives start to interconnect, and why, and how.

How much of Emma's instinct is to turn her work side on and look into these people?

It's interesting, because for Emma, her first reaction to things is to resist getting involved, because she's been hurt so much in the past. So she kind of fights it, and fights it, and fights it, and then somehow, against her better judgement, ends up involved in it anyway. I was kind of joking a few episodes in. I was like "What did this town do before Emma got here?" She's trying to save everybody and do everything for everybody all the time. It's kind of funny, that here's this woman who's so resistant to helping, and yet her circumstances end up leading her to helping so often.

Is romance in the cards for her? She has some chemistry with the sheriff in the pilot.

Ahh. Interesting. Yeah, I think eventually. I mean, Emma's a full-blooded woman, and the sheriff is a very handsome man. That Jamie Dornan, man. I don't think you get much more handsome than that.

Would you consider him a wolfy kind of guy, maybe?

What exactly do you mean by that? [Laughs] I don't know. I think that he's foxy.

Where does Emma end up living? Does she stay in Granny's house?

She briefly is there, and then is asked to leave, and ends up taking a roommate in town. So, one of the cast members does allow her to stay in their home.

Is there a fairy tale character from a story that you grew up with that you'd love to see on the show?

Ginny and I were talking about this. We both love the Little Mermaid. It's the only Disney musical I know all of the words to all of the songs [from], because we'd listen to it so many times in the car as a kid, that it's just ingrained in me.

So you are saying you'd like for Ariel to be part of that world?

Yes, exactly. [Laughs]

How it adjusting between doing different types of television, going from House to a fantasy series like this?

For me, it hasn't felt like a major adjustment, in a sense that the storytelling is so grounded - at least the relationships within the storytelling is so grounded in reality. So the approach, for all of us, has just been to treat it as if it's very real and very grounded. There's no sense of "Oh, we're in a fairy tale!" It's been really important for us to really keep its feet on the ground that way. So, by approaching it that way, and also that Emma is the one character that is grounded in reality and doesn't buy any of this fairy tale stuff and thinks it's just this child who is trying to deal with his emotions by having this fantasy idea... from that perspective, it's just all about digging into those relationships and figuring out the root of all of those things. I've just been loving that the writing has been so rich with that stuff. Every time I put down a script, I'm so blown away by how specific and different Emma's relationships are with each other character in front of her.

Whereas on House, I served a very specific function, and Cameron was always going to have certain limits of how much she could do and how much she could offer, because she had to provide a very specific service to that show. And on this show, there's just been this incredible freedom to be able to go "Wow. My relationship with Mary-Margaret is completely different from my relationship with Regina, which is completely different than my relationship with Henry, which is completely different my relationship with the Sheriff. It's almost like getting to do several different things all at once. So I've just been enjoying the fact that the writing has that kind of depth and those kind of layers in the storytelling.

http://www.ksitetv.com/9132/once-upon-a-ho...ce-upon-a-time/

3. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'Once Upon a Time' deserves a happy ending

By John Crook, Zap2It | October 19, 2011

Once upon a time, former "Lost" writers Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz had a dream, to write a show about the fairy tales that played such a major role in their childhoods. They had no fairy godmother, just their former boss Damon Lindelof, who nevertheless helped them slay the ogre Writer's Block and make their dream a reality after several years.

And making reality of dreams is sort of what "Once Upon a Time," a new ABC fantasy series premiering Sunday, Oct. 23, is all about.

With one of the most defiantly complicated and multilayered story lines of the new TV season, the show opens in present-day Boston, as cynical bail bonds collector Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison, "House") is surprised on her 28th birthday by a stranger, a child named Henry (Jared Gilmore), who drops twin bombshells: He is the son Emma gave up for adoption 10 years ago, and Emma -- who never knew her parents -- is the daughter of Snow White (Ginnifer Goodwin) and Prince Charming (Josh Dallas), whisked away just before the evil Queen's (Lana Parrilla) curse robbed her parents of their happily-ever-after by hurling them and their friends into the odd coastal town of Storybrooke, Maine, where none of them realizes his true identity. And only Emma can break that spell.

See why it took Kitsis and Horowitz eight years to whip this yarn into shape? And that's just skating the surface of a fantasy narrative that will unfold gradually over the coming weeks, a risky move in today's ADHD TV world.

They caught a lucky break in landing Morrison, whom they had thought was contractually bound to her guest role on the CBS sitcom "How I Met Your Mother."

"They thought that I was going to turn out to be the mother … and then they saw the episode where they revealed that I wasn't, and they freaked out," the actress explains, laughing. "This was just a couple of days before I got the offer (for the role), and three days before I had to fly to start work on it, so thank God for that episode, and thank God they happened to see it."

It was a stroke of good fortune for Morrison, too, who fell in love with the script on first reading. "This was such an exceptional, exquisite script," she says. "I couldn't put it down. I was reading it on my iPad, and when I got to the last page, I kept trying to move the page forward. There was so much intrigue set up in the pilot that I almost couldn't stand not knowing what was going to happen next, and I thought, 'Well, this is something I would love to be a part of.' Very rarely if ever does something come along that feels so special."

Meanwhile, Kitsis and Horowitz had found their Snow White in Goodwin, who met with them just a few weeks after wrapping the HBO series "Big Love." As fate would have it, this was a role the actress had yearned to play since she was a little girl.

"My biggest dream on the planet up to this point was to be a Disney animated princess," Goodwin says. "I went on talk shows and begged Disney for roles and went in to audition for all the new musicals, but I never really necessarily thought that anything would come to pass. It's not necessarily a steppingstone in my particular journey. Then I got a call that I was being offered the role of Snow White in a new TV show that was being written by Eddie Kitsis and Adam Horowitz, of whom I am a huge fan from 'Lost.'

"I read the script that night, and I thought I would start it and then fall asleep, because that's what you do during pilot season. But I ended up reading it several times. I was bouncing off the walls. I couldn't sleep, but I had to wait for my manager to get up the next morning so I could make sure he had read it and would get things moving. Every time I read it, I cried at the same points, including the end."

Although most of Goodwin's role revolves around events in Snow White's life that aren't in the original fairy tale, she did get a chance to re-create the moment when the character is awakened from her deathlike sleep by a kiss from Prince Charming. As if on cue, snow began falling while the scene was being shot in a Vancouver forest.

"It was magical and insane," Goodwin recalls. "We weren't planning on using snow in the scene. I was lying in that coffin, freezing cold, in a sundress, and they had a heating pad plugged in underneath me, but I didn't want to get up because I felt like I was stuck in an Ansel Adams photograph."

Although Morrison is one of the few cast members who don't get to play dual roles given the nature of the narrative, she says she's thrilled by the richness of her character.

"Emma is just a dream. The way she is written, just on the page, is already so complex," Morrison says. "She has a unique relationship with every different character, and a different side of her comes out based on who she is relating to. That's already there even before I bring myself to it. So in every episode I am dealing with four or five major relationships that are incredibly different and incredibly complicated. As an actor, that is so exciting to take on."

www.zap2it.com/news/zap-once-upon-a...0,1305136.story

4. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

They caught a lucky break in landing Morrison, whom they had thought was contractually bound to her guest role on the CBS sitcom "How I Met Your Mother."

"They thought that I was going to turn out to be the mother … and then they saw the episode where they revealed that I wasn't, and they freaked out," the actress explains, laughing. "This was just a couple of days before I got the offer (for the role), and three days before I had to fly to start work on it, so thank God for that episode, and thank God they happened to see it."

This is great stuff to know. I wondered all along if she had been offered this role, as opposed to having to read/campaign for it as she did for the role of Zoey on HIMYM. :)

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison puts new twist on TV fairy tale

(Reuters) - Actress Jennifer Morrison, best known for her portrayal of Dr. Allison Cameron on "House M.D.," returns to television this Sunday, putting a new twist on the idea of a fairy tale life in "Once Upon a Time."

Set in the small New England town of "Storybrooke," the drama alternates between a land of make-believe, full of princes and evil queens, to a parallel world in modern-day Maine, where townspeople remain unaware they are part of a fantasy world.

Morrison portrays Emma, an abused foster child who is the abandoned daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming. Reuters spoke to her about the new series.

Q: Your new show is from the writers of sci-fi fantasy "Lost." Are there similarities between the shows?

A: "It's not so much that it's similar, but I do feel like they've taken some elements of the structure of "Lost" and used that to serve the storytelling in "Once Upon A Time," kind of similar to the way the viewer gets to know the character in "Lost" through flashbacks. Everyone is in reality and existing in reality and the flashback element flashes to fairy tale land when these people were actually the characters who we are suggesting that they are."

Q: What do you think will draw fans to the series?

A: "The show is incredibly unique and different from anything I know to compare it. I think it's kind of a combination of 'Lord of the Rings' and 'Harry Potter.' It definitely has elements of good vs. evil and there's fairy tale characters involved, but it's also very grounded in reality and focuses on people's very real, very gritty relationships with each other."

Q: How did you prepare for Emma because there's not a lot of people who can claim to be the abandoned daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming?

A: "I've been reading memoirs by people raised in the foster system, and trying to take bits and pieces from each memoir of those who have been through that system, forced to move from home to home, who have had abusive foster parents or have really kind foster parents, but did not know how to handle someone being kind to them since they were abused in the past. It's been really quite fascinating and heartbreaking to learn about these stories and how these kids have had to exist in that system."

Q: You trained in theater. How does your theatrical background figure into your work on "Once Upon a Time?"

A: "I've been acting for as long as I can remember. It's all I ever wanted to do. I was very lucky to grow up in a school with a great theater program, and I've been on stage since I was 5 years-old. I ended up going to Loyola University where I majored in theater, and then studied at Steppenwolf. I guess with "Once Upon a Time" specifically, there is a theatrical element to the storytelling, so I believe I can transfer some of my theater training to the show."

Q: Will Dr. Cameron be coming back to "House?"

A: "Playing Dr. Cameron was life-changing in all the most amazing ways and I loved being on that show and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I haven't been contacted by anyone from the show about it, but it's a door I'll always leave open."

Q: What kind of roles do you hope to play in the future?

A: "I feel like I couldn't dream up the great things that have happened in my life so far and I don't like to put restrictions or expectations on what's coming next. I'm always drawn to something different. I definitely feel like I am open from one job to the next and try to find the next adventure that has something new and different, hoping the next project will be even better than I can imagine."

Q: How do you spend your free time when not working?

A: "I love traveling, shopping, concerts -- I recently acquired a record player so I have been collecting vinyl albums."

Q: So what's on your iPod?

A: Been loving Bon Iver, and their older album, "For Emma, Forever Ago." St. Vincent and Dr. Dog are great, too.

Q: What would you be doing if you were not actor?

A: Probably teaching. My parents are both teachers and I've taught theater and dance in the past, and I do really enjoy the process and experience of teaching, so I guess in the back of my mind, I thought it would be nice to be a professor or teach theater at a college at some point.

Q: Do you have a favorite fairy tale?

A: I have several that I really love. I probably would have to say Cinderella and Alice in Wonderland. Those are probably the two I was most fascinated with growing up.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/10/20/...r&dlvrit=340143

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison is the audience's eyes in ‘Once Upon A Time’

Danielle Turchiano, LA TV Insider Examiner
    October 21, 2011

ABC’s newest drama, Once Upon A Time, is a magical ride into a land that we may have imagined in our wildest dreams as children but most likely have grown too cynical to even think about these days. But don’t worry; the show itself has an answer to that! Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) is a real world woman with deeply ingrained fairy-tale roots-- roots about which she is not aware and once confronted with flat out disbelieves. She acts as a portal for the audience, in that way: a somewhat jaded realist who has seen too many dark parts of the world to suspend her disbelief towards something so fantastical.

Emma shows up in Storybrooke, Maine, the town in which so many fairy-tale characters have been cursed to stay, because a ten year old boy (Jared Gilmore) shows up on her doorstep, claiming to be the child she gave up for adoption. She heads back to town with him to make sure he gets home safely, but once there, she ends up staying for an extended period of time, though Morrison insists it is not because Emma slowly but surely starts to believe. In fact, she says quite the opposite is true and Emma will resist above and beyond when the audience should.

ABC’s newest drama, Once Upon A Time, is a magical ride into a land that we may have imagined in our wildest dreams as children but most likely have grown too cynical to even think about these days. But don’t worry; the show itself has an answer to that! Emma Swan (Jennifer Morrison) is a real world woman with deeply ingrained fairy-tale roots-- roots about which she is not aware and once confronted with flat out disbelieves. She acts as a portal for the audience, in that way: a somewhat jaded realist who has seen too many dark parts of the world to suspend her disbelief towards something so fantastical.

Emma shows up in Storybrooke, Maine, the town in which so many fairy-tale characters have been cursed to stay, because a ten year old boy (Jared Gilmore) shows up on her doorstep, claiming to be the child she gave up for adoption. She heads back to town with him to make sure he gets home safely, but once there, she ends up staying for an extended period of time, though Morrison insists it is not because Emma slowly but surely starts to believe. In fact, she says quite the opposite is true and Emma will resist above and beyond when the audience should.
    Advertisement

“She totally doesn’t believe. She doesn’t believe enough to stay; she stays to take care of her child, but she doesn’t believe at all, and I don’t know how or when that [shift in frame of mind] would happen,” Morrison admitted when LA TV Insider Examiner sat down with her on the Vancouver set of Once Upon A Time earlier this month.

“But she sees a child in distress, and the only way she’s been able to live with herself up until this point-- with the decision to give him up-- was by convincing herself that she did the right thing, that she was giving him a better life, because the circumstances under which he was born-- which you will find out someday-- made her, reasonably so, feel like she wasn’t the best person to take care of him. And when you’ve lived with that assumption for so long, and you find out that maybe he isn’t happy, or he isn’t doing so well, or he isn’t doing well at all, she’s not going to be able to go on with her life until she knows that he’s okay.”

As practical, logical, and yes, cynical as Emma may be, though, it doesn’t seem that she questions even for a second that this boy really is the son he proclaims himself to be. Though acknowledging that it’s “a lot of life” to land in a person’s lap, Morrison shared that the show will take its time exploring Henry’s origins-- the circumstances around his birth, who his father his, how hard it was for Emma to give him up, and maybe even how he found Emma in the first place. Instead, the focus is on Emma and the other mother figure in this boy’s life, his adopted mother Regina (Lana Parrilla), who in the fairy-tale world is the Evil Queen and the one responsible for the curse.

“The conflict between Regina and Emma is complicated because Emma doesn’t have the intentions of taking Henry away from her, and yet Regina feels like that could happen if Emma’s around for too long,” Morrison pointed out. “So I think Emma holds a tremendous amount of resentment because she was supposed to make her child’s life better, and it seems like that’s not happening. There are so many odd sides to this woman, and there are parts of her that are so frustrating and unsettling and I think that Emma feels that need to stick around and protect Henry and try to get to the bottom of this. Also, once again, as her maternal instincts kick in more, and she gets to know her son better and gets more and more connected to him, her connection to Regina only intensifies.”

And Regina should have a right to be worried about Emma, even if she doesn’t know the truth that Emma is still so obviously trying to fight-- a truth that would mean Emma is the key to breaking the curse and ultimately thwarting the Evil Queen’s plans. As Morrison put it, not only does Emma start to “fall for [her son] more,” but also because no one in town has a hold on her in any way.

“[Emma]’s not afraid of anyone. She doesn’t have the history that everyone has with Regina and Mr. Gold where everyone feels afraid of them, and you know, she’s grown up in such a rough situation: she’s been in seven foster homes; she’s been on the streets; she’s been in Juvie; she’s been in tough circumstances her whole life, so there’s no reason these people would be intimidating…She kind of takes some risks and oversteps some bounds that I think if she had more information or was really more aware of what she was getting involved in, she may not take,” Morrison explained.

Still, Emma intends to only stay in Storybrooke for a week, renting a room at Granny’s Bed and Breakfast. Soon, though, she learns that her stay will have to be extended, as she gets more and more immersed in the lives of the residents of the town, and moving in with a familiar, though perhaps unexpected, face.

“It’s a small town, and that’s kind of the fun of the storytelling, to reveal how all of these stories interconnect and why and how,” Morrison teased. “It’s interesting because for Emma, her first reaction to things is to resist getting involved because she’s been hurt so much in the past, so she kind of fights it and fights it and fights it, and then somehow against her better judgment ends up involved in it anyway. I was kind of joking a few episodes ago ‘What did this town do before Emma got here?’ She’s trying to save everybody and do everything for everybody all of the time, so it’s kind of funny that here’s this woman who’s so resistant, and yet her circumstances end up leading her to helping so often.”

But you shouldn’t fight Once Upon a Time! The pilot is completely enchanting on its own (you can read our full advance review here), and the subsequent episodes seem to be even more magical. See for yourself when the brand new take on some very old tales airs on ABC on Sunday nights at 8pm.

http://www.examiner.com/tv-insider-in-los-...e#ixzz1bS4QbiTT

7. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

CITAZIONE
    @TheBenderNation
    @jenmorrisonlive... You were GREAT this morning. Thanks for the time. Here's the link to the interview > bit.ly/qKVtsD
    20 minutes ago via Tweet Button

https://twitter.com/#!/thebendernation...530602126786560

www.kissfmseattle.com/player/?stati...ml&mid=21518129

www.megavideo.com/?v=4UEWZ1FG

Edited by Aleki77 - 20/11/2011, 08:30

8. comotion
        +1   -1

User deleted

QUOTE (Aleki77 @ 22/10/2011, 02:05) 
    @TheBenderNation
    @jenmorrisonlive... You were GREAT this morning. Thanks for the time. Here's the link to the interview > bit.ly/qKVtsD
    20 minutes ago via Tweet Button

https://twitter.com/#!/thebendernation...530602126786560

www.kissfmseattle.com/player/?stati...ml&mid=21518129

This was a cute interview. Jen is to fun to listen to -- her smile comes through the radio with her great laugh. This was on one of our local radio stations today, but I don't know where she was calling from. :)

9. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

great interview :D love her laugh !

10. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison: 'Once Upon a Time reflects real life'

Published Tuesday, Oct 25 2011, 17:04 BST | By Morgan Jeffery

Jennifer Morrison has claimed that her new show Once Upon a Time reflects real life.

The former House star told the MTV Movies Blog that the ABC series does comment on problems in society, despite its fantasy concept.

"We're in a time in our lives where the economy's kind of tough and jobs are tough [and there's] a lot of struggles people are facing," she said.

"In a sense, our show really represents that in the curse that is on the characters, and the hope that there is a way out, that you can band together and find a way out."

Morrison added that there is more to Once Upon a Time than the fairy-tale premise, suggesting that the show has "universal" themes.

"It's relationship-driven," she insisted. "There is this sort of underlying universal thing."

Her co-star Josh Dallas recently admitted that he felt "under pressure" to impress when cast as the iconic Prince Charming.

Once Upon a Time - which pulled in an impressive 12.8m viewers for its premiere episode - continues on Sundays at 8/7c on ABC.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s181/once...-real-life.html

11. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Jennifer Morrison from "Once Upon a Time" Discusses How She Got Her Role

http://youtu.be/2X7LCsq8DP4

Jennifer Morrison from "Once Upon a Time" Discusses What Drew Her to Her Character

http://youtu.be/u9hNLX-2yRQ

CITAZIONE
    Jennifer Morrison from "Once Upon a Time" discusses what drew her to her role.

Interviewed and edited by Pop Culture Passionistas.

www.popculturepassionistas.com

Jennifer Morrison from "Once Upon a Time" Discusses Looking at Fairy Tales Differently Now

CITAZIONE
    Jennifer Morrison from "Once Upon a Time" discusses looking at fairy tales differently now.

http://youtu.be/a2gjVBiMeV8

Jennifer Morrison from "Once Upon a Time" Discusses Her Co-Stars

CITAZIONE
    Jennifer Morrison from "Once Upon a Time" discusses her co-stars.

http://youtu.be/eIp9z_6_QOc

12. MVitto
        +1   -1

User deleted

great vids, thanks :heart:

13. aurore
        +1   -1

User deleted

ONCE UPON A TIME with Jennifer Morrison

http://youtu.be/7sn9Pf2EfH8

14. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Exclusive: Jennifer Morrison of 'Once Upon A Time' Says Fairytales are 'About Self Discovery'

You may recognize her from her time on House and How I Met Your Mother, but now Jennifer Morrison has got a show of her own: ABC's Once Upon A Time. Morrison stars as Emma Swan, a woman whose son finds her and beleives she is the abandoned child of Snow White and Prince Charming. From the get-go the series lays on the fantasy, and we had a chance to chat with Morrison so she could light our way through the mythical forrest. Sorry, we're getting a little carried away with all this talk of fairytales.

www.megavideo.com/?v=T0VI9MVX

www.hollywood.com/news/Exclusive_Je...scovery/8019792

Edited by Aleki77 - 29/10/2011, 02:53

15. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

‘Once Upon a Time’s Jennifer Morrison: Emma Will Make ‘Drastic Life Changes’
    Jennifer Morrison in Once Upon a Time (ABC)

by Julie Zied
    Oct 28th, 2011 | 1:40 PM |

As far as life-changing events go, having the child you gave up for adoption ten years ago suddenly appear at your door and drag you to a town populated by cursed fairy tale characters ranks pretty high. But according to “Once Upon a Time” star Jennifer Morrison, who plays bail bondwoman and unwitting daughter to Snow White, Emma Swan – the life-altering drama is about to be turned up to 11. On a call this week, Morrison dished on what kind of drastic changes lie ahead in the land of Storybrooke, how Sunday’s episode will explore more of the hit ABC show’s mythology, and why the lonely Ms. Swan might soon be ready for a romantic interlude.

Emma is pretty isolated and lonely when we first meet her. How does having Henry [Jared Gilmore] and the people of Storybrooke in her life change her?
    Emma being drawn into this world of Storybrooke through Henry is definitely the most uncomfortable thing that’s probably ever happened to her. She’s worked quite hard to keep herself isolated so that she doesn’t ever have to get hurt. The fact that she’s now opening herself to this child who she had to give up and is now reconnecting with him… And connecting with Mary Margaret, who seems to be incredibly kind and loving and generous without wanting anything back, which Emma has never experienced before. We’ll see a lot of push and pull from her. She starts to feel safe enough that she opens up, and then panics that she’s opened up and kind of closes off again. In a sense I feel like Emma is like a 14-year old boy in her mind. She’s kind of awkward and closed off. You sort of see her starting from that place and you’re going to see her grow tremendously emotionally over time as she spends time around these people and it feels safer and safer to open up to them.

Is there a point where she starts to really believe Henry?
    I don’t know when that’s gonna happen. We’re starting [to film] episode 11 and she still does not believe him. She’s going along with it because she feels like it’s the right thing to do in terms of supporting a child who she believes is using these stories to help him work through emotional problems and these stressful situations he’s going through. She’s not going along with it because she believes there’s any truth to it yet. I’ll be just as fascinated as everyone else to find out what it is that would actually tip the scales to make any person believe that they’re living amongst fairy tale characters who are cursed and don’t know who they are.

On some subconscious level do Emma and Snow White/Mary Margaret [Ginnifer Goodwin] realize who they are to each other?
    There’s definitely a magnetism. Whenever she’s around Mary Margaret it’s unsettling but in a good way. She instantly feels more vulnerable. Emma’s someone who’s in constant conflict internally. She does feel some kind of pull to Mary Margaret, but she sort of discounts it as just being someone that is different than anyone she’s ever met before, not because she thinks, Oh, this woman might be my mother.

Is Emma going to keep her job and commute to Storybrooke, Maine from Boston? That’s quite a haul, if so.
    [Laughs] I think she believes that she’s going to keep her job and commute to Storybrooke. That’s what she’s telling herself initially, but there’s a point in which she realizes that she can’t. The only reason she’s been able to live with the fact that she had to give up Henry is because she believes that she really did the best thing for him. And when she realizes that maybe his life isn’t as good as she’d hoped it would be, she is not going to be able to live with herself until she follows through and makes sure that his life is good. And when she gets to the point where she realizes that she’s going to have to stick around and be closer to him in order to make sure that happens, she will make some drastic life changes in order to stay in his life.

Are we going to see any flashbacks of Emma’s earlier life? Or is that strictly reserved for the people of Storybrooke?

As far as I know, they’re not going to flashback into reality. All the flashbacks are in fairy tale land. But they’ve been telling Emma’s story through other characters who she relates to. Down the road there are other fairy tale characters that are in reality that Emma ends up connected to that also reveal more about her past. When they have these standalone episodes with these new fairy tale characters that they introduce, they use them structurally to tell Emma’s story. They’re sort of, in a sense, like her flashbacks in a way.

As Emma starts to become more open, does that in turn open her up to a potential romantic opportunity?
    Ummm….possibly. We’ll see! Let’s just say that there is room in Emma’s heart for love. It will be very complicated to see how that works.

What can we expect from Sunday’s episode?
    The new episode really dives into the curse. We really get to see into the backstory about why the Evil Queen wanted to find this curse, why she’s evil, and why she feels so compelled to inflict this curse. We really start to get into the foundational elements of the [show's] mythology. Then in, in Episode 3, we really kind of launch into the storytelling. We start filling in the blanks and seeing how Snow White and Prince Charming met, and why they fell in love, and how they fell in love, and other characters start to come in. We meet Cinderella at one point. The doors sort of blow open after that second episode.

“Once Upon a Time” airs Sundays at 8/7c on ABC.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/blogs/2011/in...c-life-changes/

140 replies since 15/10/2011, 05:56   8016 views