OUAT - S01E12 - Skin Deep

« Older   Newer »

1. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time - Episode 1.12 - Skin Deep - Press Release

CITAZIONE

EMMA KEEPS AN EYE ON MR. GOLD WHEN IT LOOKS LIKE HE'S OUT FOR VIGILANTE
    JUSTICE AFTER BEING ROBBED, AND BELLE AGREES TO A FATEFUL DEAL TO SAVE HER TOWN FROM THE HORRORS OF THE OGRE WAR, ON ABC'S "ONCE UPON A TIME"

Emilie de Ravin ("Lost") Guest Stars as Belle

Jessy Schram ("Falling Skies") Guest Stars as Cinderella/Ashley

"Skin Deep" - After Mr. Gold's house is robbed, Emma keeps a close eye on him when it looks like he wants to track down the criminal and dole out some vigilante justice as payback, and Valentine's Day finds Mary Margaret, Ruby and Ashley (Jessy Schram, "Falling Skies") having a girls' night out. Meanwhile, in the fairytale land that was, Belle (Emilie de Ravin, "Lost") agrees to a fateful deal to give up her freedom in order to save her town from the horrors of the Ogre war, on "Once Upon a Time," SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 12 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.

"Once Upon a Time" stars Ginnifer Goodwin as Snow White/Mary Margaret, Jennifer Morrison as Emma Swan, Robert Carlyle as Rumplestiltskin/Mr. Gold, Lana Parrilla as Evil Queen/Regina, Jared Gilmore as Henry Mills, Josh Dallas as Prince Charming/David and Raphael Sbarge as Jiminy Cricket/Archie Hopper.

Guest starring are Jessy Schram as Ashley/Cinderella, Meghan Ory as Ruby/Red Riding Hood, Tim Phillips as Sean/Prince Thomas, Jarod Joseph as Billy, Beverley Elliott as Granny, Emilie de Ravin as Belle, Eric Keenleyside as Moe French/Sir Maurice, Sage Brocklebank as Gaston, Chris Shields as military advisor, John DeSantis as The Dove, Ingrid Torrance as severe nurse and Gabe Khouth as Sneezy.

"Skin Deep" was written by Jane Espenson and directed by Milan Cheylov.

th_OUATS01E1201 th_OUATS01E1202 th_OUATS01E1203 th_OUATS01E1204 th_OUATS01E1205 th_OUATS01E1206 th_OUATS01E1207 th_OUATS01E1208 th_OUATS01E1209 th_OUATS01E1210 th_OUATS01E12011 th_OUATS01E12012 th_OUATS01E12013 th_OUATS01E12014

Edited by Aleki77 - 31/1/2012, 10:48

2. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

TV Ratings Sunday: Whitney Houston Memories Rocket 'Grammy Awards' Ratings, Pushes Competition To Lows

Written By Bill Gorman

February 13th, 2012

The 54th Grammy Awards, scored a giant 14.1 adults 18-49 rating and 39 million viewers, up 41% vs. a 10.0 rating and 26.7 million average viewers last season. That was the second highest viewership in Grammy history (1984), and the best adults 18-49 ratings since 1990. Note that the numbers for the Grammy Awards in the table below are only for the 8-11pm portion, while the numbers in the text above are for the entire show.

Earlier in the evening, 60 Minutes had a 2.9 adults 18-49 rating, up 93% from the season low 1.5 rating two weeks ago. Of course CBS topped the nights adults 18-49 ratings and total viewership on Sunday night

Against the Grammys, The Cleveland Show had a season low 1.2 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 1.3 rating two weeks ago in its last new episode. The Simpsons drew a season low 2.0 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 2.4 rating two weeks ago. Napoleon Dynamite drew a series low 1.7 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 2.1 rating two weeks ago. Family Guy had a season low 2.5 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 3.1 rating two weeks ago. American Dad had a season low 1.7 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 2.4 rating two weeks ago.

ABC's Once Upon A Time scored a 3.0 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 3.5 rating last two weeks ago. A Desperate Housewives drew a series low 1.8 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 2.6 adults 18-49 rating three weeks ago against the NFC Championship Game. Playing out the string before it heads to that great cancellation bin in the sky, Pan Am had another series low. dropping a 0.7 adults 18-49 rating, vs. a 1.2 rating three weeks ago. At 7pm, America's Funniest Home Videos' 2.0 adults 18-49 rating was up a tenth vs. a 1.9 rating two weeks ago.

NBC's Dateline lead off the night with a 1.6 adults 18-49 rating, and a two hour Fear Factor finished the night with a series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating. Compare that if you wish to the 2.3 adults 18-49 rating it scored Monday at 9pm a month ago.

Broadcast primetime ratings for Sunday, February 12, 2012:

Time Net Show 18-49 Rating 18-49 Share Viewers Live+SD (million)

7:00PM CBS 60 Minutes 2.9 8 14.549
    ABC America's Funniest Home Videos 2.0 5 7.758
    NBC Dateline NBC (7-9p) 1.6 4 2.058
    Fox Bob's Burgers -R 0.7 2 1.909
    7:30PM FOX The Cleveland Show 1.2 3 2.734
    8:00PM CBS 54th Grammy Awards (8-11p) 14.4 32 41.162
    ABC Once Upon A Time 3.0 7 8.635
    FOX The Simpsons 2.0 5 4.328
    8:30PM FOX Napoleon Dynamite 1.7 4 3.81
    9:00PM FOX Family Guy 2.5 5 4.988
    ABC Desperate Housewives 1.8 4 6.349
    NBC Fear Factor (9-11p) 1.5 3.727
    9:30PM FOX American Dad 1.7 4 3.542
    10:00PM ABC Pan Am 0.7 2 2.662

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/1...ratings/119540/

3. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

TV Review: Once Upon a Time - "Skin Deep"

There is so much to love about tonight’s Once Upon a Time episode “Skin Deep.” At its heart is Belle’s “tale as old as time” (as the lyric goes) with a fresh angle courtesy of writer Jane Espenson. “Skin Deep” was created especially for Valentine’s day—a tragic love story that casts Rumplestiltskin (Robert Carlyle—and yes, that’s the way Rumple’s name is spelled in the series) as the Beauty’s beast, who makes a deal with Belle’s (Emilie de Ravin) father just as in the classic story.

Carlyle’s riveting performance helps make this episode the best episode to date in ABC’s hit series. He plays every emotion perfectly—from Gold’s usual quiet and Rumple’s signature demonic glee to the depths of Rumple’s despair and loneliness and Gold’s rage—and surprising vulnerability in his final scene with Regina (Lana Parrilla). Lost alumna de Ravin as renders Belle sweet and strong; her scenes with Carlyle sparkle with emotion.

The story dramatically shifts from the classic French fairy tale (and the Disney animated film), with Belle sacrificing herself by for the good of her father’s realm. She willingly accompanies Rumple back to his castle as his prisoner in exchange for his magic in keeping the ogres at bay and away from the citizenry of Belle’s land.

Although he keeps her prisoner, locked away in a dungeon, Rumple eventually grows accustomed to Belle’s presence, beginning to let down his guard as spring rolls ‘round. And she is drawn to him, seeing within him an underlying humanity that even he cannot see within himself. Perhaps it is a sadness in she perceives in him, something beneath the monster he feels he has become. Where he finds himself unlovable—a beast—she sees something gentler and nobler beneath the surface and within his dark, opaque eyes.

She wonders why he spins so much, and without thinking, Rumple honestly admits he spins “to forget” before quickly covering with a joke and a creepy giggle. And when she falls from a tall ladder, and he catches her, it is clear that he is bewildered by feelings that seem to have overtaken him. His sudden shyness is disarming and surprising. It is almost fear he feels.

She wonders about him, the children’s clothing she finds hidden away upstairs in a closet, which rather than provoking his anger, reminds him of the loss he’s suffered. And he opens up to her just enough to make her fall in love with him, uncovering a long-forgotten streak of humanity that remains deep within and beyond the grasp of the terrible curse under which he lives a loveless life. Testing her, he lets her go, assuming that she’ll never return, yet yearning for her as he stands vigil at a window waiting for the return he knows will never come. But she does return—after an encounter with the Evil Queen, whose calculations will play with both Belle and her real prey—Rumplestiltskin.

The queen plants within Belle’s mind the means to break the Rumple’s curse; it will render him an ordinary man—able to look at himself again, but strip him of his powers. It’s a simple fix—true love’s kiss—but powerful. It only works, however if both parties love each other. Rumple has, indeed, come to love Belle, and the kiss begins to work—until Rumple realizes that this is the queen’s plan to render him powerless. Without the capability to understand that Belle might actually love him, Rumple mistakenly believes that Belle had been in the Queen’s service the entire time. This cannot have anything to do with love; who could love such a man as he? So disgusting, he knows, that he must nail shut the drapes and cover all the mirrors so no one can see his face—not even himself.

His lack of faith in Belle’s love leaves him broken hearted when he senses such a profound betrayal, furious at her—and himself. I wonder if he locks her back in the dungeon to protect her from his rage as he breaks and smashes everything in his reach—except for a delicate teacup (cute reference to “Chip” from the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast), something Belle had broken, but had for Rumple become symbolic of her—perhaps of her ability to love such a broken man. Although Belle is safely shut away while Rumple takes out his rage on his possessions, she is soon cast out, sent home, leaving Rumple as broken as the China now lying shattered on his floor.

And then the Evil Queen visits, and Rumple can only watch in horror as she tells him of Belle’s tragedy brought on by her association with him. It is yet something else he must live with—another burden. He gently picks up the teacup, handling it with great care. It is his last remnant of Belle, and I wonder if as long as he has that cup, he holds out hope that she may yet live—that the queen is lying to him. But if her story is true, it is perhaps more than he can bear.

That cup, then, has great power over Rumple, both in Fairy Tale Land (FTL) and in Storybrooke, where it now has been stolen from his house. And the lengths to which Rumple goes to retrieve it—and the anger he displays towards the burglar who stole it—speaks to its meaning for him.

Again the queen, this time as Mayor Regina Mills, taunts Mr. Gold with the cup. It is something he wants back—seems to need to have back in his possession. He knows who’d stolen it from the beginning. And with the big reveal at the end that Gold remembers everything—who he is, who Regina is and why that cup is so important to him—it makes us wonder what his agenda is even more.

He cannot break the Queen’s curse—that much is clear. But because he remembers, he must know that Emma (Jennifer Morrison) is Snow’s (Ginnifer Goodwin) daughter and that Henry is Snow’s grandson. Bringing Henry (Jared Gilmore) to Storybrooke as a baby was crucial to breaking the curse—and Rumple’s prophecy back in the pilot episode. And now Regina knows that Henry—and Emma—might be essential pieces in Gold’s own plans to destroy the curse (that is, after all, his). Which also now leads me to wonder what Rumple got in exchange for giving the queen that dark curse. Could it have been information about Belle?

Until now, Regina probably has only speculated that Rumple had been aware of his true past. By stealing the cup, so dear to him, she buys the leverage necessary to force this crucial reveal. She must, of course, now wonder how Rumple has manipulated the entire scenario—including Henry and Emma—and what she must do to stop him.

We also witness the extreme cruelty of both the Queen and Regina once again—a woman who is truly heartless, keeping Belle captive and shut away in Storybrooke. I have to believe that Belle is Regina’s ultimate weapon against Gold. She had needed to know how much Gold remembers, because if he remembers Belle—and his love for her has never died (of which she obtains irrefutable proof in “Skin Deep”) she can use it against him to control him—as he becomes more and more emboldened with Emma’s presence in town to move against the curse.

This is probably the darkest we’ve seen Rumple; he beats the florist (but without permanent damage, which I’m sure he could have done had he really wanted to maim him). As Emma notes, there’s a lot more here than a simply robbery. Gold becomes completely unhinged, losing his ever-present calm and becoming enraged in the presence of Belle’s father—a man whom Gold believes murdered his own daughter. I’m sure this won’t be their last encounter.

By the way, ‘gotta love the name of the florist, “Game of Thorns,” a reference to the novels of George R.R. Martin Game of Thrones and the HBO television series of the same name (which Espenson wrote for last season).

Thank you once again to Jane Espenson for joining us for a post-episode LiveChat. In case you missed it read the replay transcript. A new Once Upon a Time airs next Sunday night at 8:00 ET on ABC.

http://blogcritics.org/video/article/tv-re.../#ixzz1mKJJQFy4

4. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

'Once Upon A Time': 'Skin Deep' recap

Season 1, episode 12 | Aired Monday, Feb 13 2012 at 12:42 GMT on

For all my complaints, I'm starting to understand that Once Upon A Time likes to take things slowly. Sure, you might not get a lot of plot development in each episode; instead, they're almost stand-alone instalments with a bit of mythology to keep things going.

'Skin Deep' deceived me somewhat in that it seemed to contain no furthering of the story at all - only at the end did it begin to pay off (though it had been entertaining enough in a meandering sort of way up to that point).

We were in Beauty and the Beast territory this week - desperate to save her friends and family from the ogre wars, Belle (played by the lovely Emilie De Ravin) agrees in desperation to work as Rumpelstiltskin's general dogsbody. Inevitably, they begin to fall for each other (her cell of a bedroom notwithstanding.)

But Belle's desperate to get rid of Rumpelstiltskin's curse, so when the Evil Queen - keen for him to lose his power - reveals that true love's kiss can get rid of all curses, Belle eagerly locks lips with her master. Unfortunately, he's not happy about the idea of becoming powerless, and in a fury, locks Belle up again.

In one of the better scenes of the episode, Belle accuses Rumpelstiltskin of using all this talk of his power as an excuse - his real anger comes because he doesn't believe that Belle can really love him. It's a moving scene (and a reminder that even Rumpelstiltskin has his soft side), but Belle still leaves.

Later, the Evil Queen positively revels in telling Rumpelstiltskin that, shunned by her friends and family when she returned, Belle ended up killing herself - leaving Rumpelstiltskin with just a cup she chipped to remember her by. Really, it's no wonder he's pretty messed up.

Of course, all this fairytale stuff links to the real world - Mr Gold's pursuing a debt owed by the local florist Mr French (who just happens to be the alter ego of Belle's father). He confiscates his van, leading to a retaliation from French, who robs Gold's house.

Gold is horrified to discover something is missing, so he captures French and tortures him. It's actually a pretty horrific scene - he begins repeatedly whipping and beating him, yelling about how he shut someone out and she's gone forever and it's all his fault. Luckily, Emma arrives just in time, but it's easily the most disturbing scene of the episode.

Of course, Gold was upset about Belle - and it soon turns out that Regina arranged the break-in. While Gold sits in his jail cell, Regina pays him a little visit - she'll give him what he wants if he tells her his real name. Yes, we get absolute confirmation that Regina and Gold remember the fairytale world - though clearly not all of it, as Regina doesn't know Gold is Rumpelstiltskin until he tells her (in exchange for, you guessed it, his chipped cup).

This is the sort of thing I'd like to see more of in Once Upon A Time - the mythology and explanation of the two worlds. The end of the instalment was also intriguing; not only does Rumpelstiltskin vow that he will always have more power than Regina, but Regina also visits a hidden part of the hospital to peer through a cell window at... Belle!

I do enjoy Once Upon A Time, though perhaps I'm alone in preferring the real world. The fairytale storylines and various struggles faced by Storybrooke's residents are entertaining - but now that we're twelve episodes in, perhaps things should be speeding up a little.

I want to know more about Gold and Regina now - I want to know Regina's evil plans, and I want to know whether Henry and Emma are going to uncover any more information. We'll see what happens...

Magic Moments

Storybrooke has a florist called 'Game of Thorns'. GAME OF THORNS. This may have been the highlight of the episode for me.

Rumpelstiltskin's evil laughs are getting more and more spectacular.

We should mention the romantic side of the episode - I wasn't particularly interested in Ashley's relationship, though the proposal was sweet. What does interest me a bit is Mary and David's romance, and though the wrong Valentine card trick was predictable, Ginnifer Goodwin's fab acting kept the following moment suitably heartbreaking. Of course, I'm sure they'll be back together soon enough.

I enjoyed Rumpelstiltskin turning Gaston into a rose, just because he was so abrupt about it.

Also loved Rumpelstiltskin's faux-offended face when Belle's father described him as a "beast".

Regina used Henry to distract Emma so she could speak to Gold. Could this woman get any lower? On the other hand, it was adorable to see Henry and Emma reunited.

"Oh no, I would never suggest a young woman should kiss a man who held her captive. What kind of message is that?"

The scene intertwining moments of Rumpelstiltskin smashing up his ornaments with Gold beating Belle's father was pretty effective.

"You've made your choice and you're going to regret it forever. All you'll have is an empty heart and a chipped cup." Wow.

We got a little reminder that Emma owes Gold a favour - I can't wait to see how he'll cash it in.

"Every moment spent on this Earth that has been my name." "What about moments spent elsewhere?"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s181/once...deep-recap.html

5. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

Once Upon a Time: Skin Deep

Written by Tricia Long

Sometimes true beauty is more than skin deep.

Warning: spoilers ahead. Check your brakes.

Welcome back from hiatus, everyone! Hope you enjoyed the Super Bowl/Puppy Bowl/night of reading last Sunday, because now it's time to return to fairy tales and melodrama. This week, our fearless writers reimagine Beauty and the Beast: the twist is that Rumplestiltskin (R-stilts) is the Beast. Are you thrown for a loop? I hope not, otherwise your head will be spinning by the end of this episode.

Let's get started then. As "Skin Deep" starts, we find Belle and her family embroiled in a war with ogres. They have summoned R-stilts, who we all remember is still the Dark One, to bring an end to the fighting. Of course his services come with a price: Belle as his caretaker. Gaston, predictably, objects but Belle offers herself to save her family. While this is a heroic gesture, I found myself distracted by whatever accent Emilie de Ravin was going for. Did the same thing happen when she was on Lost? It kind of happened when she was on Roswell. I digress.

In Storybrooke Gold is harassing the local florist, Maurice French, who owes him money for some undisclosed reason. Regina watches from a street corner nearby and proves that her re-election is fixed by magic because she does nothing to stop it. Maurice is Belle's father in the fairy tale world, so you see how this situation parallels the opening. The flower motif will continue throughout, so get used to it. Not only is the rose itself of penultimate importance in the Beauty and the Beast, it's also an excuse for a Game of Thrones reference: his florist business is called "Game of Thorns". I'm pointing all of this out because Gold getting mafia on a guy and stealing his van should be more exciting than this scene was. I was more focused on Gold's Lennon shades and pimp coat than on the story. So, nice job wardrobe department?

Regina accosts Gold and starts to ask him a favor, but he's on a vindictive spree and chooses to ignore her. She tries to make him listen and he says "please." This is important, because we learned all the way back in the second episode that R-stilts agreed to help the Evil Queen if he could always get his way when he said "please". His use of this word once again raises the question: does he know that he was once a man with a name so long that it bears abbreviating?

At the café, Mary Margaret and David are having breakfast but not together. She's convinced him to read Anna Karenina – maybe she's hoping he'll see the parallel between their predicament and that of Anna and Lenin? Let's hope this series doesn't end with Mary Margaret jumping in front of a train. Emma arrives to ask Mary Margaret about Henry, who she is still forbidden to see. I ask myself why they couldn't do this at home when Ashley, aka Cinderella, shows up to join them. She complains about being a new mother and not getting enough time with her baby daddy, Sean. Red, in the sluttiest waitressing outfit yet, invites them all out for a girls-only valentines day. She is the only person excited by this idea, and while Emma declines the other two go along with it. David is sad in the background and I wonder about Maine's divorce laws. The simple solution is staring you in the face, buddy. I mean come on, you're READING ANNA KARENINA. You clearly love this woman.

Emma gets a page and leaves the café, arriving at a large and colorful house where Gold has broken in. He's brought a gun and stalks around a bit before Emma catches him. He claims that something was stolen from the house, but he knows who did it and how to get it back. I don't know why he doesn't just run for Sherriff; he does half the crime in the town anyway. It would save tax dollars, right? You see, the house belongs to Maurice and whatever is missing is something he owes Gold. Emma leaves to find Maurice, but I have a feeling she'll have a hard time locating him.

In the fairy tale world, R-stilts shows Belle her new digs... which happens to be a dungeon. Her pretty yellow dress is going to get wrinkled in there! No! He gives her a list of duties, which includes skinning the children he hunts. Just kidding! He's the Dark One, not a monster. She chips a cup and he doesn't even freak out. He seems seems kindly toward her and she seems to take that kindness a little too much to heart. Later, Belle asks him why he spins so much gold since he'll never be able to spend it. He says it's to forget but doesn't elaborate; the audience can fill in the blanks. She tries to open the curtains, which seem to be nailed closed, but only manages to do so as she falls off the ladder and into his arms. Of course this means it's time to cue the romantic music and for me to be deeply disturbed by this budding romance and how easily R-stilts is assenting to the whole thing. Is Belle just kind enough to see the man inside the dark one or is she genuinely trying to make the most of her crappy situation? I just have a hard time believing she would be attracted to someone with that kind of skin condition. I know it's a side effect of being evil, but even the sunlight is not going to improve his gold-tinged complexion.

Emma manages to locate the dish set that was stolen, which a keen-eyed viewer will remember from Gold's shop a few episodes ago. She has little luck finding Maurice, though. Gold fumes because a piece of the set is missing and insists that only he can find it.

Meanwhile at the fortress of solitude, Belle asks R-stilts why he wanted her there. She thinks he was lonely, like any man would be, but he insists that he is no man. She found children's clothing upstairs and learns that he lost both his son and the mother. She notes that he covered up the windows and mirrors because he thinks he's a monster, and she doesn't believe he is a monster. I get why he covered up the mirrors – he doesn't want Regina spying on him – but covering the windows too seems a bit of a stretch.

Gaston comes knocking, and R-stilts quickly disposes of him by turning him into a rose. He gives the rose to Belle, which serves as a refreshing reminder that R-stilts might be romantic but he's also possessed by a demon shadow and haunted by his own shortcomings. As a counterpoint, he asks her what made her choose to come with him and she explains that she saw it as a chance to be a heroine. Her willingness to love R-stilts is explained by her belief that love is "layered" and "a mystery to be uncovered" and her inability to love someone as "superficial" as Gaston. Please note that she is clipping the Gaston-rose and putting it in a jar during this little speech. It's nice to know that the writers kept all the gruesomeness of early fairy tales even in the midst of saccharine speeches.

R-stilts is moved by her bravery, however, and tells her to go to town to get some straw. When she asks if he trusts her to come back he says that he never expects to see her again. He does, however, promise to tell her his story if she returns. He's giving her an out, you guys! Because he really isn't all that bad and maybe deep down he actually loves her! No, sometimes villains are just bad. Not everyone is Magneto. ... Ok I love R-stilts enough to let him be sympathetic from now on, but keep it dark, writers, or you will feel the wrath of my keyboard.

Back in Storybrooke, the girlz are at da club gettin tipsy. Yes, it did hurt me to type that sentence but it is the most accurate description of what I'm seeing. Cinderella does shots while Ruby goes on the prowl, and I conclude that this is a party I would totally want to happen. My dreams of a crazy girls' night are dashed when Mary Margaret joins Cinderella in wishing that life were different and I realize that Mary Margaret is that one girlfriend who can never have fun. Lighten up, girl, this isn't Tolstoy. There are not nearly enough Napoleon references for it to be Tolstoy.

Elsewhere, Gold runs into David at the store. Gold is buying tape and David is buying two different valentines because he is living the dream. Gold reminisces about how love is a delicate flame that comes only once before hopping in the van where he has kidnapped Maurice. A man of extremes, he is; it's almost poetic. He takes Maurice to the cabin where Mary Margaret and David so recently found shelter and tells him that he normally doesn't let people get away when they owe him something.

This is the perfect segue back to the fairy tale land, where Belle is on the path to town. She is met by the Evil Queen, who is conveniently riding by in her carriage. Belle tries to get rid of her, accurately sensing that she means her no good, but the Evil Queen pries too much. She concludes that Belle loves R-stilts, but Belle protests that something evil has taken root in him. The Evil Queen says that true love's kiss could cure him of his evil (effectively changing him from a beast back into a man – see what they did there?) but only if he let her go, which he already has. Belle is determined to kiss him and get the fairy tale ending we're all kind of ambivalent about.

Belle returns to R-stilts's castle with loads of straw and asks for his story. He dodges the question and asks why she came back. She kisses him, and it's awkward for everyone but is effective in "breaking the curse" because you can see his normal skin appearing. She tells him that her kiss is effectively removing the curse because they have true love and he flips out, yelling at the mirrors (and by extension, the Evil Queen) and claiming that no one could ever love him. This is the curse's form of white blood cells, I believe. Or maybe this is the greatest power of the curse itself: despair. He throws Belle in the dungeon for presuming to love him, and she's just as confused as the rest of us.

Back at the cabin, Maurice wants to explain everything. I would like him to, because I want to understand what he did to make Gold so upset. My wishes are ignored, however, when Gold uses his best interrogation techniques and beats Maurice with his cane. He goes on about "her" being gone and never coming back. This scene is closely followed by R-stilts at the castle destroying everything but the cup Belle chipped. You will not make me cry, Once Upon a Time. You keep trying to and I really don't appreciate it.

Back at the bar, Ashley wishes that she saw more of her boyfriend Sean... which is why he shows up with roses! To propose! On his break! Happy Valentine's Day, single people, I'm sure you all hate your lives even more now. This gets Mary Margaret thinking about how loving someone you can't be with sucks, which is why David shows up with his own Valentine's Day card... but he gives her the one meant for Katharine. Mary Margaret is understandably upset, even though she's the mistress in this situation, and declares that she's unhappy with their current arrangement. He promises to not give up on them, that they will find a better way, but honestly he should just divorce Katharine. Really, it's an option in Maine. It's not a Catholic state.

At the cabin, Emma has discovered Gold and Maurice. While the paramedics take Maurice away, Emma questions Gold about "her". When he refuses to cooperate she arrests him. At the jail, Gold is behind bars and Emma is loving it. Regina shows up with Henry and says that Emma can have him if they leave the jail for 30 minutes. She uses that time to browbeat Gold into confessing his real name and we find out that – shocker – he does know that he was Rumplestiltskin, and she was the Evil Queen and all the rest. Writers, you were doing so well! Of course he remembers, no one is that spot-on with his observations by accident. In exchange for his confession, he gets the cup that Belle chipped oh so long ago which of course was the missing piece he was searching for.

In the fairy tale land, R-stilts visits Belle in the dungeon. He tells her to leave because he doesn't want her anymore. She confronts him and calls him a coward. He claims he loves his power more than her, but she says he just didn't want to believe that she loves him. We all get an acting lesson when she leaves and he closes his eyes ever so slightly, showing that he was loving her by setting her free. I think that he does love his power enough to want it more than love, but he was never a brave man in the first place: that is his tragedy.

The Queen shows up to talk to R-stilts about a mermaid (foreshadow!). He warns that she can never be more powerful than him so she should stop throwing pretty girls in his path, but she has an ace up her sleeve: a gruesome tale about how Belle's father shunned her when she returned and beat her so much that she killed herself. I'm gonna go ahead and say that Regina was lying, because Belle is alive in Storybrooke. She's in the basement of the hospital and Regina is the only one who knows where to find her. Just in case you forgot, Regina is supposed to be the villain of the show.

Once Upon a Time is quickly becoming all about R-stilts, possibly because he is the most interesting character and certainly one of the most dynamic actors (no disrespect to my main men Giancarlo Esposito, who was phenomenal two weeks ago, and Raphael Sbarge) but I will be happy next week to get back on track with the whole Mary Margaret /David romance thing. And when is that writer gonna hook up with Emma already?

Next week: some resolution for Mary Margaret and David? Also, the lady of the lake!

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/rev...-skin-deep.html

6. Aleki77
        +1   -1

User deleted

ONCE UPON A TIME - "Skin Deep" - BTS - ROBERT CARLYLE, ERIC KEENLEYSIDE, EMILIE DE RAVIN, SAGE BROCKLBANK

a

b

c

d

e

f

g

i

h

l

m

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/once-upon-a-t...nATime;#OnceABC